What has happened to this place??

Old March 9th 12, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default What has happened to this place??

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

Very good. How about a post ride report on how you did and feel?
What time you getting home?

Probably around 1600 as I leave at 1500 and have quite a lot of
traffic lights to contend with.
I will post a report then, but this morning after all that hill
walking and having had been off the bike for six days, I flew up our
local flyover and felt super strong. It always feels better after a
few days "off", cycling day after day can leave you feeling jaded -
the walking was a welcome break.

The wind has picked up to 30 mph, so it might be a bit later than
planned.

It *was* later than planned, I got a puncture two miles from home - the
first in six months.
The next day at the same spot I noted that I had landed on a smashed milk
bottle, so I avoided it.
--
Simon Mason
Old March 10th 12, 04:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 23:12:09 -0800, Doug wrote:

Excellent! Beware though, being fat is mainly caused by food intake and
you have to do a heck of a lot of exercise to combat it. Only if you
mildly overeat will exercise be of any use, apart form the fact that it
makes you generally healthier.

But be also aware that regular exercise is a great way of regulating
appetite,

--
An oft-repeated lie is still a lie.
Old March 10th 12, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 9, 11:33*am, thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 9, 7:12*am, Doug wrote:

On Mar 8, 9:06*am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 8, 7:05*am, Doug wrote:

On Mar 7, 10:31*am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 7, 7:28*am, Doug wrote:

On Mar 6, 4:51*am, Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 5, 11:23*pm, M Wicks wrote:

I used to lurk here quite a lot, but not for many years. Today I
decided to see what uk.rec.cycling was like these days, and frankly I
am shocked at what has become of the group. Why are there so many
arguments? Why does every thread degenerate into mudslinging?

I am afraid the good old days of urc are largely in the past.
Like in a lot of internet fora, it has become a haven for trolls, some
really sick ones as well who will laugh at dead cyclists and decend
into cyber stalking and foul personal abuse.
I am sure you remember Guy Chapman - he was subject to the most foul
and vicious abuse imaginable, plus he got crank phone calls and home
visits off one troll who also published all of his personal details
here.

My "job" is to purge urc of troll activity by depriving them of what
they most crave - attention.
If the trolls post excessively then so do I to remove their influence.

And the posts you read by the likes of "Mr Benn", "J Nugent", "The
Medway Handyman", "Mr Cheerful" and "Judith" are not meant to
stimulate healthy debate, but are solely designed to stir up trouble,
anti cycling rhetoric, provoke outrage when they mock dead cyclists
and then decend into hateful personal attacks. And all because we
enjoy cycling.

If you wish to discuss cycling in a troll free environment then there
is now uk.rec.cycling.moderated.

Take care and thanks for your input.

I would just like to add that another reason is that URC has become
much more infested by motorists, some of whom cross-post from motoring
newsgroups, and who seem to have a 'down' on cyclists in general.

Doug.- Hide quoted text -

Don't forget that I am a driver as well, Doug.
We don't all have a downer on cyclists.

Yes but you are aware of the problems posed by motorists and are
seriously trying to minimise your car use, unlike many others here.

Doug.- Hide quoted text -

Well - when our lass loses her weight and we no longer have to go on
long hilly walks, both she and I will be cycling to work, so our car
use will plummet accordingly.

Excellent! Beware though, being fat is mainly caused by food intake
and you have to do a heck of a lot of exercise to combat it. Only if
you mildly overeat will exercise be of any use, apart form the fact
that it makes you generally healthier.

Never made me healthier. *I was healthy and I could manage high
mileage on the bike or walking. *Exercise does not drive health, but
some activity is essential to drive circulation, it is very little.
Training increases capability as the body adapts, that is not health.

Yes there is a lot of debate about the usefulness of exercise. In a
recent TV programme on exercise it was pointed out that genetically
people respond differently to exercise and also a 3 minute 'burst' per
day might be sufficient.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...bout_Exercise/

"Riding at a moderate speed (12 – 14 mph) you will burn approximately
235 calories per half hour."

yup, a half hour on the bike a day ending in a 40mph sprint is
sufficient to keep one heathy if one sits on ones arse for the rest of
the day in front of the TV.

I have a pedal exercise machine which I can use while watching TV,
instead of cycling in very bad weather, and this is a good substitute
for walking.

So assume someone is overeating to the extent of 1000 calories per day
they will have to cycle approx 2 hours or, say, 26 miles every day to
combat it and that is seven days per week. Much easier and simpler to
just cut down on the eating and then exercise a little for general
health's sake

Wheat and other grains are the foods to cut out in a weight-loss or
health kick diet. *Sodium chloride should be removed as much as
possible and real (sea)salt used for SEAsoning. *Without grains and
sugar without fibre, the human organism is able to correctly self-
regulate calorific intake without following set diets or calorie
counting. *Wheat only provides available energy when the body is
already driving very hard. *It's suitable as a bread and meat sandwich
when going for a walk or cycle ride to tackle an upcoming hill, but
it's unsuitable for sitting in front of the TV, computer or desk job.
Wheat is the killer, it puts on the hard to shift visceral or belly
fat. *If you have a belly, cut out the bread, pasta, pastry, pizza,
dumplings, scones, noodles etc.

I am not sure that cutting those out would be sufficient. What about
the eating of meat and dairy fat?

It may once have been food for the
masses, but since 1960's the general way of life has become more
sedentary.

No kidding! Super-sedentary more like, aided by fast-food crap which
is allowed to be sold. Also on TV recently has been the special help
given to the massively obese, with special teams and special equipment
and special vehicles used to move them around. At what cost to the
taxpayer I wonder? Obese people are allowed to carry on eating
themselves silly and be helped for it by the taxpayer. They can't
manage for themselves and have to be washed and fed by carers. Is it
an illness or just super-self-indulgence?

Doug.

Old March 11th 12, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...0112012_The_Tr...

[...]

Some fat is essential for vitamin transport, mucous production and
skin health (and probably joint health). *What I think you should find
is that the exclusion of grain naturally reduces the desire to eat
masses of fat and there is no need to make a conscious effort to
regulate it. *Fat consumption seems to me to be pretty much self-
regulating when no grain is involved. *I eat nuts as well, but my
primary source of fats come from meat and butter. *When I eat fatty
meat, my desire for butter in my eggs diminishes and I am lighter
handed.

Do you know what your BMI is? Mine is about 20.

It may once have been food for the
masses, but since 1960's the general way of life has become more
sedentary.

No kidding! Super-sedentary more like, aided by fast-food crap which
is allowed to be sold.

That's commercial enterprise for you.

Profit before people.

Also on TV recently has been the special help
given to the massively obese, with special teams and special equipment
and special vehicles used to move them around. At what cost to the
taxpayer I wonder? Obese people are allowed to carry on eating
themselves silly and be helped for it by the taxpayer. They can't
manage for themselves and have to be washed and fed by carers. Is it
an illness or just super-self-indulgence?

Both.

I suppose people have to be cared for regardless but why do they let
themselves get in such a condition when it can be countered by merely
eating less?

Doug.
Old March 11th 12, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Mar 5, 11:23*pm, M Wicks wrote:

[...]

No I don't and the figure don't bother me as I know through experience
not to fall much below 11st or go over 13st although when well-muscled
I was about 13st 10lb. In the past 2 years I've been at 15st and
below 10st. I was unable to raise my weight without the aid of food
supplements. I'm now at 11st7 which I'd be happy to maintain.