Cyclist dies on unroadworthy wreck.

Old May 20th 15, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Cyclist dies on unroadworthy wreck.

On 20/05/2015 17:54, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:37, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:15, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:39, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:23, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:01, RJH wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Recumbent rider failed to notice the likelihood of a car door
opening,
failed to pass sufficiently wide and due to his type of machine and
its
condition, fell off and died. Viable transport?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...e-died-9290908

The school run is a bad time for cyclists, and I suspect anybody
on or
near roads. I give cars a very wide berth at those times.

Just out of interest, how would you 'notice the likelihood of a car
door
opening'? It's one of these things I cycle in anticipation of, and it
happens once or twice a year. Never hit yet, but I've come close.

I met a bloke who got caught - left him severely epileptic. Better
than
the poor sod in your link though.

As the woman had only just pulled up it is very likely that an
observant
road user would have seen her do so, and given a wide berth for the
very
likely possibility of a door opening. Using a recumbent on the road
increases the difficulties of vision both by the cyclist and of the
cyclist, therefore the cyclist should have been taking even greater
care
than a 'normal' cyclist to maintain safe speed and position while
going
past a recently stopped car.

You're STILL siding with the driver.
She admitted that she had already clipped a bin with her wing mirror
before she got out. The woman is obviously a careless driver.
There's no other way to look at it, the accident *wouldn't* have
happened if she'd looked properly.
She was found guilty, end of story.

Most collisions occur when more than one road user makes a mistake, just
as in this case.

*She* was the *only* one found guilty.

Not so, the cyclist was found to be guilty of riding an unroadworthy
machine, he was not dealt with by the courts for a simple reason, can
you guess what it was?

He remained silent when questioned? ;-)
Old May 20th 15, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 20/05/2015 18:00, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:53, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:34, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:14, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 17:10, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 16:28, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:32, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:18, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 13:25, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 13:08, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 10:44, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:47, Mrcheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Recumbent rider failed to notice the likelihood of a car door
opening,
failed to pass sufficiently wide and due to his type of
machine
and
its
condition, fell off and died. Viable transport?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...e-died-9290908

Hmm! The lady said "Mrs Jackson said: “I consider myself to
be a
careful and competent driver. I feel very sorry that the
cyclist
died
but don’t think there’s anything I could have done
different to
avoid
this accident.”

How about looking before opening her door?
She *obviously* caused the accident by her
carelessness.

Recumbents are very low to the ground and would be easy to miss
with a
quick glance in a mirror.
The cyclist was also careless, he would have seen the vehicle
stop
and
would know that the likelihood is that a door will open soon
after, he
failed to allow enough room or stopping distance to avoid the
possibility, his machine was of such a type and in such poor
condition
that he left it all too late to slow, stop or otherwise avoid
the
obvious obstacle.

"a quick glance"!?
Unlike you, I look *very* carefully before opening my car doors.
She was to blame, unless you strangely consider that the
accident
would've happened even if she hadn't opened the door?
She opened her door carelessly, resulting in his death.
How you can side with her is beyond me.

I do not side with her. She failed to look enough, however the
cyclist
could also have avoided the incident by being more observant. As
the
most vulnerable one he needed to take the most care, yet he
clearly
did
not.

How on earth can a cyclist avoid a car door suddenly being opened
when
you're a few feet away from the door and travelling at around
15mph?
I've had several close calls like that when I've been cycling.
Car drivers are notorious for not seeing cyclists and not just
door
openings, but many don't look properly at junctions. I've had many
just
pull out dangerously because they haven't seen me. They only seem
to be
looking out for cars etc. Too much of a hurry and not enough care.

It is called anticipation and is a part of defensive
driving/riding.
The
cyclist is the vulnerable one and will usually be hurt in any
collision,
why on earth would the cyclist not do everything in his power to
make
his journey safer? Relying upon other people to be perfect is not
the
way to travel safely when using any form of road transport. Saying
its
someone else's fault does not help when you are dead or seriously
injured.

I always try to anticipate, but it's not always possible to
anticipate
car doors suddenly opening. If you cycled, you'd know what I mean.

If you cannot anticipate that the driver's door is likely to open
soon
after a car has pulled up, then perhaps you should not be using the
roads.

A safe speed and machine coupled with a suitable distance from the
car
would mean that cyclist would likely still be alive.

So tell me how you stay a doors width away from parked cars when
you're
driving your car and the road is just not wide enough without going
over
the white centre line?

You stay at a speed that will allow you to stop, you observe whether
there are people in the cars that might open a door, you use the
horn if
needed.

Come on! you know that is not always possible. I've been driving for
over 50 years and have *never* had an accident, BUT I've had a lot of
close calls in cars. I don't believe that you've never driven close to
parked cars out of necessity on narrow roads in traffic doing about 30
mph.
In that situation, if a driver justs decides to open their door when you
are within a few yards of their door and the road is too narrow to drive
around it and it's too late to brake. You WILL hit the door.

And if I am in a car and that happens then the probability is that I and
my passengers will be uninjured, the cars will be insured and no lasting
problems will remain. A cyclist cannot be in that position and hence
should and must take extra care.

Agreed and I do when on a bike. You can be as careful as you like, but
it can and does happen fairly frequently. Quite a common accident,
apparently.

Then the people involved need to improve their act.

Old May 20th 15, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
[...]

Because the cyclist, yet again, failed to use observation and
anticipation skills.

To paraphrase M'Lud;

I hope the personal liability section of the cyclists household contents
insurance is able to adequately compensate the motorist for any damage
to his property and injuries caused by the cyclists stupidity.

Old May 20th 15, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 09:02, Mrcheerful wrote:
Recumbent rider failed to notice the likelihood of a car door opening,
failed to pass sufficiently wide and due to his type of machine and its
condition, fell off and died. Viable transport?

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...e-died-9290908

Hmm! The lady said "Mrs Jackson said: “I consider myself to be a
careful and competent driver. I feel very sorry that the cyclist died
but don’t think there’s anything I could have done different to avoid
this accident.”

How about looking before opening her door?
She *obviously* caused the accident by her
carelessness.

Recumbents are very low to the ground and would be easy to miss with a
quick glance in a mirror.

Bicycles are ridiculous vehicles anyway and recumbent are utterly
ridiculous.

The cyclist was also careless, he would have seen the vehicle stop and
would know that the likelihood is that a door will open soon after, he
failed to allow enough room or stopping distance to avoid the
possibility, his machine was of such a type and in such poor condition
that he left it all too late to slow, stop or otherwise avoid the
obvious obstacle.

It's called hazard awareness and is part of the car driving test. High
time cyclists had to pass a test.

Old May 20th 15, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
[...]

Happily the woman's car suffered no damage on this occasion as it seems
the cyclist did not collide with the door, he fell off anyway (maybe
hoping for compo.?) and banged his unprotected head on the ground,
resulting in his death.
Old May 20th 15, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
[...]

and had their bicycles tested for road worthiness on a regular basis.
Old May 20th 15, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 20/05/2015 09:08, Bod wrote:
[...]

How on earth can a motorist avoid a car door suddenly being opened when
they're a few feet away from the door and travelling at around 30mph?

They seem to manage.

Old May 20th 15, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 20/05/2015 15:32, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 15:18, Mrcheerful wrote:

It is called anticipation and is a part of defensive driving/riding. The
cyclist is the vulnerable one and will usually be hurt in any collision,
why on earth would the cyclist not do everything in his power to make
his journey safer? Relying upon other people to be perfect is not the
way to travel safely when using any form of road transport. Saying its
someone else's fault does not help when you are dead or seriously
injured.

I always try to anticipate, but it's not always possible to anticipate
car doors suddenly opening. If you cycled, you'd know what I mean.

Motorists traveling at much faster speeds seem to cope with it.

Old May 20th 15, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 20/05/2015 17:10, Bod wrote:
On 20/05/2015 16:28, Mrcheerful wrote:

I always try to anticipate, but it's not always possible to anticipate
car doors suddenly opening. If you cycled, you'd know what I mean.

If you cannot anticipate that the driver's door is likely to open soon
after a car has pulled up, then perhaps you should not be using the
roads.

A safe speed and machine coupled with a suitable distance from the car
would mean that cyclist would likely still be alive.

So tell me how you stay a doors width away from parked cars when you're
driving your car and the road is just not wide enough without going over
the white centre line?

So tell me how so few car doors ever get hit by other cars?

Old May 20th 15, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

On 20/05/2015 17:34, Bod wrote:
[...]

But virtually nobody ever does. Except cyclists.

Cyclist dies Simon Mason UK 42 November 5th 11 04:20 AM
Hilarious Cyclist's Anthem-"The Bicycle Wreck" by Tennessee Mafia Jug Band meb[_80_] Techniques 2 March 12th 08 01:33 PM
QLD cyclist dies in hit / run Jock Australia 3 July 1st 07 08:34 AM
{SYD} Cyclist dies after being hit by car cfsmtb Australia 3 May 29th 06 10:34 AM
another cyclist dies. Steve Knight General 67 November 1st 03 08:16 PM