Which is more dangerous to a cyclist?

Old November 30th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

Default Which is more dangerous to a cyclist?

Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

Old November 30th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" writes:
Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
front tire going around.

Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old November 30th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 30, 4:04 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition (R)" writes:

Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
front tire going around.

Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

In all my years of riding, I've been distracted by many things. Back
when I was a youth I was easily distracted by one thing in particular
(still gets me now every once in a while, though I now manage to
maintain heading and situational awareness), and it caused a few
crashes. Somehow, I've never been so distracted by the front tire it
caused me to wreck. I'm as easily amused as the next guy, but I never
understood that one.
Old November 30th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" writes:
Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
front tire going around.

I'm at increased danger of that as when I'm cranking at just the right
speed at night, it looks like it's stopped or going backwards. It's a
pretty neat looking effect and a little distracting. I'm guessing it's
an artifact of the frequency of my LED headlight (if it's at less than
100% duty cycle). It mostly happens going uphill, which would make
sense.

Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

MOTAS in tight clothing jogging on the sidewalk would be my vote.

--
Dane Buson -
Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants,
Old November 30th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ?" wrote:
Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

Definitely squirrels. I quit riding with them years ago.

Bill

__o | Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain
_`\(,_ | or freed a human soul in this world--and never will.
(_)/ (_) | --Mark Twain

Old November 30th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" writes:

Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
front tire going around.

Loose shoelaces might be the second biggest danger.

I think looking up watching birds, clouds, stars, moon,
whatever, is very hazardous.

A tilted gyroscope makes the rider want to ride the bike
90 degrees off vertical plane!

SMH
Old December 1st 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" wrote: (clip)Squirrels, not
wearing a helmet,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't recall a single squirrel reported killed that WAS wearing a helmet.

Old December 1st 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Well, obviously the squirell wearing the helmet is more dangerous, as it
may survive to make a second attack!

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old December 1st 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®" writes:
Squirrels, not wearing a helmet, or wasting time on Usenet threads instead
of riding? Discuss
among yourselves.

The biggest danger to cyclists is getting
hypnotized/distracted by looking at that
front tire going around....

No, it is watching one's feet. That is why I wear plain black shoes.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
What's more dangerous? Bill C Racing 18 April 7th 06 11:54 PM
What is most most dangerous? Tumbleweed UK 20 December 15th 04 03:03 PM
Are h*1**ts dangerous .paul UK 39 April 14th 04 10:44 AM