Experiences of Goretex Gloves

Old January 5th 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim

Default Experiences of Goretex Gloves

I received a pair of Goretex gloves for chrissie and thought they'd be the
business.
However I have worn them twice now in the wet and both times my they got
soaking inside after 30mins or so.
The don't seem to be much better than £4.99 Aldi gloves and worse than gents
leather gloves from M&S.
They also take forever to dry, there's no way I could wear these two days in
a row.
'anyone else found this? or are mine just crap?

Cheers
Jim J

Old January 5th 08, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Jim wrote:
I received a pair of Goretex gloves for chrissie and thought they'd be the
business.
However I have worn them twice now in the wet and both times my they got
soaking inside after 30mins or so.
The don't seem to be much better than £4.99 Aldi gloves and worse than gents
leather gloves from M&S.
They also take forever to dry, there's no way I could wear these two days in
a row.
'anyone else found this? or are mine just crap?

The problem is rain runs down your coat into the big holes at the top of
the gloves.
Are you tucking the gloves into the bottoms of your coat sleaves?

Martin.
Old January 5th 08, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Jim" wrote in message
I received a pair of Goretex gloves for chrissie and thought they'd be the
business.
However I have worn them twice now in the wet and both times my they got
soaking inside after 30mins or so.
The don't seem to be much better than £4.99 Aldi gloves and worse than
gents leather gloves from M&S.
They also take forever to dry, there's no way I could wear these two days
in a row.
'anyone else found this? or are mine just crap?

IMO Goretex is vastly overrated, and I own a jacket made of Goretex Paclite
which is the most breathable thing they make as far as I know. Unless you
need something to be all day waterproof, I'd always get a jacket that'll
keep you dry for an hour or two but with more breathability anyday.

Old January 5th 08, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robin

"Doki" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
I received a pair of Goretex gloves for chrissie and thought they'd be the
business.
However I have worn them twice now in the wet and both times my they got
soaking inside after 30mins or so.
The don't seem to be much better than £4.99 Aldi gloves and worse than
gents leather gloves from M&S.
They also take forever to dry, there's no way I could wear these two days
in a row.
'anyone else found this? or are mine just crap?

IMO Goretex is vastly overrated, and I own a jacket made of Goretex
Paclite which is the most breathable thing they make as far as I know.
Unless you need something to be all day waterproof, I'd always get a
jacket that'll keep you dry for an hour or two but with more breathability
anyday.

breathable when wet? thats a new osn.

Old January 5th 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Josey

Try spraying them with g-sport so they have some chance of wicking away some
moisture. However, I suspect to be soaking like someone already said, check
water isn't running in to them from your jacket. Same can happen with boots
and waterproof trousers.

Jc

Old January 5th 08, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim

"Martin Dann" wrote in message
Jim wrote:
I received a pair of Goretex gloves for chrissie and thought they'd be
the business.
However ............................

The problem is rain runs down your coat into the big holes at the top of
the gloves.
Are you tucking the gloves into the bottoms of your coat sleaves?

Martin.

Yep, Just as I was filling in the Goretex feedback form it dawned on me that
I had the large cuffs of the gloves outside my jacket sleeves, thinking that
because I was moving forwards the rain wouldn't be going in the cuffs,
forgetting that it would be running down my arms past the elasticated cuffs.
Duh!
I agree with some others though, Gore-tex isn't perfect, after the water
repellent finish wears off and the fabric can get wet it isn't going to be
breathable anymore. I've tried reproofing a jacket which seemed to work but
the effect was only temporary.

Cheers.
Jim J

Old January 6th 08, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Robin

Jim wrote:
[...]

erm.. Goretex is not a coating, it is a membrane that is bonded to a
fabric.
http://gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite...service/faq#26

But the water repellency of the garments outer fabric may deteriorate.
Water-repellent outer fabric provides additional insulation and prevents
liquid from saturating your garment's outer fabric, a condition known as
"wet out" that can make you feel damp and clammy. Your garment may even feel
like it's leaking, although it's not.

Old January 6th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Jim wrote:
[...]

like it's leaking, although it's not.- Hide quoted text -

Sometimes you can't beat the old solutions to problems. A cape would
probably keep you drier.....but you wouldn't look remotely cool.
Old January 9th 08, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Andy Key :
"Sturmey Archer gears - they're *so* reliable." I've used a cape. It's
great... provided you stay at home whenever the wind speed exceeds Force
1. And provided you don't want to use your hands for anything. And
provided your bike doesn't have bar-ends or drop bars. And provided you
don't want to cycle faster than 10mph.

I commuted 22 miles a day for some years, wearing a cape in wet weather,
on a bike with drop bars and bar-ends, regardless of the wind conditions,
using my hands to grab my waterbottle when necessary, at an average speed
(when caped) of about 16mph. No problems at all.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Gaiman, January - a public holiday.