dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

Old May 30th 10, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

mileburner wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 30 May, 09:27, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
There are many people to blame he from the road engineer to the
bus designer, through the old lady, via the bus driver. BUT if the
cyclist had not done some rather silly the effect would be that the
old ladies would still be ok. So the root cause of the incident is
still the cyclist, no matter how much you wriggle and whine.

Go read the Highway Code before posting more of your nonsense.

"126
Stopping Distances

Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance
you can see to be clear."

I suppose the next excuse used by the motorists here is that the bus
driver didn't see the cyclist and so cannot be to blame. In that case
maybe they should be using blind bus drivers just to be on the safe
side regarding blame.

Come on Doug there are situations where a driver cannot predict that a
cyclist, pedestrian or other vehicle is going to suddenly appear without
warning. However where there are places where a conflict may occur (such as
passing parked cars and through junctions), the driver should be travelling
at a speed slow enough to minimise any damage to either party. When you get
these awful and sometimes horric accidents occur, much of the disaster may
have been avoided if the vehicles concerned were driving a bit slower and a
bit more cautiously.

People drive too fast around pedestrians and cyclists.

People drive too fast past parked cars and through junctions.

I presume that you include cyclists as people.

--
Tony Dragon
Old May 30th 10, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:

this incident may well have occurred at just walking speed (for the
bus) but would NOT have occurred except for the cyclists
mistake/deliberate action. So what speed would be appropriate for
the bus?

The image in the report looks more like a young lad on a BMX rather
than a cyclist.

So someone riding a bike, even a BMX bike, isn't a cyclist?

I think it is important to differentiate between people who cycle and
kids who mess about on bikes.

--
WRIGGLE ALERTWRIGGLE ALERTWRIGGLE ALERTWRIGGLE ALERT

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Old May 30th 10, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

Mrcheerful wrote:

this incident may well have occurred at just walking speed (for

the bus) but would NOT have occurred except for the cyclists
mistake/deliberate action. So what speed would be appropriate for
the bus?

The image in the report looks more like a young lad on a BMX
rather than a cyclist.

So someone riding a bike, even a BMX bike, isn't a cyclist?

I think it is important to differentiate between people who cycle and
kids who mess about on bikes.

When our local secondary school chucks out at 3.20, a torrent of
BMXers pour out of the school gates heading into town. They may
be on the footpath either side of the road, on the road and
either side of the road (with some going the wrong way against
the traffic) jumping on and off kerbs, pulling wheelies, crossing
the road, and even weaving in-and-out of the dotted centre line.
The appropriate speed for driving through this teenage carnage is
about 10 mph. Many drivers simply drive too fast.

Are these not cyclists then? If not, what are they?

A. Kids on BMXs

Q. Aren't "Kids on BMXs" cyclists?

A. No not really, they are kids messing around.

Q. But they are still riding bikes and therefore cyclists aren't
they?.

A. Well, yes they are technically but I would not put them in the
same class as "cyclists"

Q. So you admit they are cyclists then?

A. Well no not really they are kids messing about on BMXs.

You talk to yourself too .. Personally I class anyone large or old
enough to be riding in the road as a cyclist, no matter what bike they
ride.

Why haven't you answered the actual question asked and instead just
added a couple of spurious thoughts of your own?

I have not answered the question because I do not know what the speed
of the bus should have been as I was not there.

HTH

Not really .. It was you who originally brought up the buses speed, "if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast" you now say you don't know
how fast it was going ..

A little consistency might help the discussion ....

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old May 30th 10, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't have
a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I ride a
bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

Old May 30th 10, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't have
a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I ride a
bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

Pilot On Board ? (acronym finder has about 30 possibles)

Old May 30th 10, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't have
a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I ride a
bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

You just don't get it do you.
You can't be a 'real cyclist' because
1 You have criticised a cyclist
2 You have said a cyclist could do something wrong
3 A 'real cyclist' has said you are not a cyclist

Hope this makes it clear.

Mind you I still don't know if I am a 'real pedestrian' when I walk down
the road to catch a bus.
But I do know that I am a 'killer motorist' if I drive a car.

--
Tony Dragon
Old May 30th 10, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

mileburner wrote:
"Tony Dragon" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

I think you will find that cyclists who drive, tend to drive with more
caution than drivers who do not cycle. But yes cyclists are people too :-)

So you would agree with me that a small section of any type of road
user, acts like an idiot?

--
Tony Dragon
Old May 30th 10, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

Are these not cyclists then? If not, what are they?

A. Kids on BMXs

Q. Aren't "Kids on BMXs" cyclists?

A. No not really, they are kids messing around.

Q. But they are still riding bikes and therefore cyclists aren't
they?.

A. Well, yes they are technically but I would not put them in the
same class as "cyclists"

Q. So you admit they are cyclists then?

A. Well no not really they are kids messing about on BMXs.

You talk to yourself too .. Personally I class anyone large or old
enough to be riding in the road as a cyclist, no matter what bike they
ride.

Not normally but I thought I would just save a few pointless posts. It's a
bit like calling a group of kids kicking a ball around "footballers".

Why haven't you answered the actual question asked and instead just
added a couple of spurious thoughts of your own?

I have not answered the question because I do not know what the speed
of the bus should have been as I was not there.

HTH

Not really .. It was you who originally brought up the buses speed, "if
the bus was not travelling quite so fast" you now say you don't know
how fast it was going ..

You asked the question and you don't like the answer!

Generally speaking, busses are driven too fast and reducing that speed may
help to improve safety. I don't know what speed the bus was travelling in
this case and I do not know what speed would have been appropriate.

There were a lots of ifs and mays in the original quote, go back and read
it.

Please feel free to ask for further clarification.

Old May 30th 10, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

mileburner wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

:-)

So you would agree with me that a small section of any type of road user,
acts like an idiot?

No, a *large* section in many cases. E.g. WVM, taxi driver, bus driver,
school run mum, boys on BMXs...

Which is more dangerous to a cyclist? Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® General 12 December 3rd 07 04:10 AM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist death in WA. Marty Australia 0 April 5th 05 06:50 AM
Walking is DANGEROUS! -- Third pedestrian death prompts serge Mountain Biking 0 February 9th 05 02:44 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM