dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

Old May 30th 10, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Default dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't have
a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I ride a
bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

Person on bike.

Ah, Ad hominem then ...

What makes me a POB rather than a cyclist?

Please, properly define POB and cyclist.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old May 30th 10, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't have
a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I ride a
bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

Person on bike.

Ah, Ad hominem then ...

No just pointing out the difference between a wannabe and the real thing.

What makes me a POB rather than a cyclist?

If you have to ask, I guess you wont be able to understand the answer :-)

Please, properly define POB and cyclist.

There are no fixed definitions. Sometimes I am a cyclist, sometimes I am a
POB, but I am never a boy on a BMX who pulls out in front of busses.

It's up to you what you are.

Perhaps you are a wordsmith :-)

Old May 30th 10, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

Are these not cyclists then? If not, what are they?

A. Kids on BMXs

Q. Aren't "Kids on BMXs" cyclists?

A. No not really, they are kids messing around.

Q. But they are still riding bikes and therefore cyclists aren't
they?.

A. Well, yes they are technically but I would not put them in the
same class as "cyclists"

Q. So you admit they are cyclists then?

A. Well no not really they are kids messing about on BMXs.

You talk to yourself too .. Personally I class anyone large or old
enough to be riding in the road as a cyclist, no matter what bike
they ride.

Not normally but I thought I would just save a few pointless posts.
It's a bit like calling a group of kids kicking a ball around
"footballers".

But they are. And they don't kill people.

Why haven't you answered the actual question asked and instead just
added a couple of spurious thoughts of your own?

I have not answered the question because I do not know what the
speed of the bus should have been as I was not there.

HTH

Not really .. It was you who originally brought up the buses speed,
"if the bus was not travelling quite so fast" you now say you don't
know how fast it was going ..

You asked the question and you don't like the answer!

Generally speaking, busses are driven too fast and reducing that
speed may help to improve safety.

I trust you can provide some data to support that fantasy?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Old May 30th 10, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:
"Mrcheerful" considered Sun, 30 May 2010
10:39:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Doug wrote:
On 30 May, 09:27, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 29 May, 18:34, "mileburner" wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out
that if the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have
needed to brake so hard, and therefore the poor person may still
be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame
and this view may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

Let me get this straight. A vulnerable road user is blamed for the
death of a vulnerable victim so that the killer driver is absolved
from blame twice over? I wonder if this could also happen with a
trio, or more, of vulnerable road users/victims and one killer
driver? Difficult to envisage but maybe someone can come up with a
likely scenario.

There are many people to blame he from the road engineer to the
bus designer, through the old lady, via the bus driver. BUT if the
cyclist had not done some rather silly the effect would be that the
old ladies would still be ok. So the root cause of the incident is
still the cyclist, no matter how much you wriggle and whine.

Go read the Highway Code before posting more of your nonsense.

"126
Stopping Distances

Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the
distance you can see to be clear."

I suppose the next excuse used by the motorists here is that the bus
driver didn't see the cyclist and so cannot be to blame. In that
case maybe they should be using blind bus drivers just to be on the
safe side regarding blame.

There will always be scenarios where some prat comes out from behind
something or wanders across in front causing the driver or rider to
take avoiding action. I am sure it has happened to every driver at
some time, including Doug. There is no speed low enough to allow
for every possibility. The accident under discussion may well have
occurred at walking pace, but would not have happened but for the
stupid action of the cyclist who I believe has still not come
forward despite appeals.

What would be the point in him coming forward.
I think there is enough evidence to convict the bus driver of CDbCD
without his testimony, although if his driving behaviour is always
like that then CDbDD may be more appropriate.

Remember that in the eyes (and what they like to refer to as their
minds), most motorists will complain that cyclists "just pulled out"
whenever they go around a pothole, a parked car, or simply use the
amount of road that they are entitled to.
Normally they use this as attempted justification for killing and
injuring cyclists, and the only unusual aspect of this case is that
the driver is claiming that injuries that he caused in his own vehicle
are the fault of the cyclist, rather than admit that he was going too
fast of attempting to pass too close to the cyclist.
There is nothing whatever in this report to suggest that the cyclist
did anything wrong at all.
There seems to be adequate evidence that the bus driver was not
operating his vehicle safely, particularly in the presence of
vulnerable road users.

have you seen the picture of the incident? the cycle is at 90 degrees to
the bus and just a few feet in front.

Old May 30th 10, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't have
a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I ride a
bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

Person on bike.

Ah, Ad hominem then ...

What makes me a POB rather than a cyclist?

Please, properly define POB and cyclist.

They have their own cute little language. BSO is a bicycle shaped object,
which means a 'non' tarted up overpriced trendy push bike. 'Cager' is
apparently a derogatory term for a motorist. They used to use 'Moton' until
they realised the word already existed.

Old May 30th 10, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

Are these not cyclists then? If not, what are they?

A. Kids on BMXs

Q. Aren't "Kids on BMXs" cyclists?

A. No not really, they are kids messing around.

Q. But they are still riding bikes and therefore cyclists aren't
they?.

A. Well, yes they are technically but I would not put them in the
same class as "cyclists"

Q. So you admit they are cyclists then?

A. Well no not really they are kids messing about on BMXs.

You talk to yourself too .. Personally I class anyone large or old
enough to be riding in the road as a cyclist, no matter what bike
they ride.

Not normally but I thought I would just save a few pointless posts.
It's a bit like calling a group of kids kicking a ball around
"footballers".

At the time they're playing with footballs, what are they? Footballers
.... Like someone riding a BMX is cycling, he's a cyclist ...

Why haven't you answered the actual question asked and instead

just added a couple of spurious thoughts of your own?

I have not answered the question because I do not know what the
speed of the bus should have been as I was not there.

HTH

Not really .. It was you who originally brought up the buses speed,
"if the bus was not travelling quite so fast" you now say you don't
know how fast it was going ..

You asked the question and you don't like the answer!

Generally speaking, busses are driven too fast and reducing that
speed may help to improve safety. I don't know what speed the bus was
travelling in this case and I do not know what speed would have been
appropriate.

But you originally said it was going too fast .. now every bus goes too
fast ...

There were a lots of ifs and mays in the original quote, go back and
read it.

Please feel free to ask for further clarification.

No need, you change the patameters to suit, it seems.

Old May 30th 10, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

I'm a cyclist and I see this lad as a cyclist .. what else is he?
He's cycling, he's a cyclist .. I ride a Mountain Bike I'm a
cyclist, I ride my sons BMX or MTB, I'm a cyclist .. we don't
have a true roadbike between us but I'm still a cyclist when I
ride a bike, whatever it's specific nature is.

You sound more like a POB trying to be a cyclist :-)

What's a POB?

Person on bike.

Ah, Ad hominem then ...

No just pointing out the difference between a wannabe and the real
thing.
What makes me a POB rather than a cyclist?

If you have to ask, I guess you wont be able to understand the answer
:-)
Please, properly define POB and cyclist.

There are no fixed definitions. Sometimes I am a cyclist, sometimes I
am a POB, but I am never a boy on a BMX who pulls out in front of
busses.
It's up to you what you are.

Perhaps you are a wordsmith :-)

Perhaps you are a tosser?

Old May 30th 10, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mileburner wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

[...]

... and perhaps you know nothing of me and just like to lump people into
pigeonholes that simply don't fit.

Old May 30th 10, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

Phil W Lee wrote:

What would be the point in him coming forward.
I think there is enough evidence to convict the bus driver of CDbCD
without his testimony, although if his driving behaviour is always
like that then CDbDD may be more appropriate.

Suddenly you are an expert? Wern't you the tosser disputing the evidence of
a highly trained & experienced traffic officer a while ago?

Remember that in the eyes (and what they like to refer to as their
minds), most motorists will complain that cyclists "just pulled out"
whenever they go around a pothole, a parked car, or simply use the
amount of road that they are entitled to.

That might well be because the ****s frequently wobble about all over the
place and have to traffic sense. Not actually a big problem because the
*******s are always on the pavement.

Normally they use this as attempted justification for killing and
injuring cyclists, and the only unusual aspect of this case is that
the driver is claiming that injuries that he caused in his own vehicle
are the fault of the cyclist, rather than admit that he was going too
fast of attempting to pass too close to the cyclist.

You no doubt have some facts to back up this fantasy of yours?

There is nothing whatever in this report to suggest that the cyclist
did anything wrong at all.

Then I wonder why he ran away?

There seems to be adequate evidence that the bus driver was not
operating his vehicle safely, particularly in the presence of
vulnerable road users.

Oh is there? Come on then, provide some.

I always though cyclists were a bunch of ******s. I never realised that
they lived in a complete fantasy world.

Ze Plane! Ze Plane!

Old May 30th 10, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_2_]

mileburner wrote:
mileburner wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 30 May, 09:27, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
There are many people to blame he from the road engineer to
the bus designer, through the old lady, via the bus driver. BUT
if the cyclist had not done some rather silly the effect would
be that the old ladies would still be ok. So the root cause of
the incident is still the cyclist, no matter how much you
wriggle and whine.
Go read the Highway Code before posting more of your nonsense.

"126
Stopping Distances

Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the
distance you can see to be clear."

I suppose the next excuse used by the motorists here is that the
bus driver didn't see the cyclist and so cannot be to blame. In
that case maybe they should be using blind bus drivers just to
be on the safe side regarding blame.
Come on Doug there are situations where a driver cannot predict
that a cyclist, pedestrian or other vehicle is going to suddenly
appear without warning. However where there are places where a
conflict may occur (such as passing parked cars and through
junctions), the driver should be travelling at a speed slow
enough to minimise any damage to either party. When you get these
awful and sometimes horric accidents occur, much of the disaster
may have been avoided if the vehicles concerned were driving a
bit slower and a bit more cautiously. People drive too fast around
pedestrians and cyclists.

People drive too fast past parked cars and through junctions.
I presume that you include cyclists as people.

I think you will find that cyclists who drive, tend to drive with
more caution than drivers who do not cycle. But yes cyclists are
people too :-)

So you would agree with me that a small section of any type of road
user, acts like an idiot?

No, a *large* section in many cases. E.g. WVM, taxi driver, bus
driver, school run mum, boys on BMXs...

Everyone except you really?

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike is a kid's toy, not a
viable form of transport.

Which is more dangerous to a cyclist? Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® General 12 December 3rd 07 04:10 AM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist death in WA. Marty Australia 0 April 5th 05 06:50 AM
Walking is DANGEROUS! -- Third pedestrian death prompts serge Mountain Biking 0 February 9th 05 02:44 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM