dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

Old May 30th 10, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Default dangerous cyclist causes death of OAP

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

At the time they're playing with footballs, what are they? Footballers
... Like someone riding a BMX is cycling, he's a cyclist ...

Kids playing football is slightly different to footballers playing football.

But you originally said it was going too fast .. now every bus goes too
fast ...

I don't recall saying that, neither does my newsserver, are you sure you
didn't just make it up?

Old May 30th 10, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

Perhaps you are a wordsmith :-)

.. and perhaps you know nothing of me and just like to lump people into
pigeonholes that simply don't fit.

You are a bit touchy...

Old May 30th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 30 May, 16:57, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Phil W Lee wrote:
"Mrcheerful" considered Sun, 30 May 2010
10:39:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

Doug wrote:
On 30 May, 09:27, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 29 May, 18:34, "mileburner" wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...r/10189702.stm

With all respect to everyone concerned, I would like to point out
that if the bus was not travelling quite so fast, it may not have
needed to brake so hard, and therefore the poor person may still
be alive.

I further realise that drivers generally like someone to blame
and this view may be unpopular.

Lower speed limits save lives.

And many bus drivers DLCs

Let me get this straight. A vulnerable road user is blamed for the
death of a vulnerable victim so that the killer driver is absolved
from blame twice over? I wonder if this could also happen with a
trio, or more, of vulnerable road users/victims and one killer
driver? Difficult to envisage but maybe someone can come up with a
likely scenario.

There are many people to blame he from the road engineer to the
bus designer, through the old lady, via the bus driver. BUT if the
cyclist had not done some rather silly the effect would be that the
old ladies would still be ok. So the root cause of the incident is
still the cyclist, no matter how much you wriggle and whine.

Go read the Highway Code before posting more of your nonsense.

"126
Stopping Distances

Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the
distance you can see to be clear."

I suppose the next excuse used by the motorists here is that the bus
driver didn't see the cyclist and so cannot be to blame. In that
case maybe they should be using blind bus drivers just to be on the
safe side regarding blame.

There will always be scenarios where some prat comes out from behind
something or wanders across in front causing the driver or rider to
take avoiding action. *I am sure it has happened to every driver at
some time, including Doug. *There is no speed low enough to allow
for every possibility. *The accident under discussion may well have
occurred at walking pace, but would not have happened but for the
stupid action of the cyclist who I believe has still not come
forward despite appeals.

What would be the point in him coming forward.
I think there is enough evidence to convict the bus driver of CDbCD
without his testimony, although if his driving behaviour is always
like that then CDbDD may be more appropriate.

Remember that in the eyes (and what they like to refer to as their
minds), most motorists will complain that cyclists "just pulled out"
whenever they go around a pothole, a parked car, or simply use the
amount of road that they are entitled to.
Normally they use this as attempted justification for killing and
injuring cyclists, and the only unusual aspect of this case is that
the driver is claiming that injuries that he caused in his own vehicle
are the fault of the cyclist, rather than admit that he was going too
fast of attempting to pass too close to the cyclist.
There is nothing whatever in this report to suggest that the cyclist
did anything wrong at all.
There seems to be adequate evidence that the bus driver was not
operating his vehicle safely, particularly in the presence of
vulnerable road users.

have you seen the picture of the incident? *the cycle is at 90 degrees to
the bus and just a few feet in front.

When was it taken? It seems likely that it is published in order to
show the face of the cyclist, so that he can be traced and questioned.
Hopefully, there is a sequence available from the bus's camera.
Old May 30th 10, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

At the time they're playing with footballs, what are they?
Footballers ... Like someone riding a BMX is cycling, he's a
cyclist ...

Kids playing football is slightly different to footballers playing
football.

But you originally said it was going too fast .. now every bus goes
too fast ...

I don't recall saying that, neither does my newsserver, are you sure
you didn't just make it up?

Actually you're right, you asked "if the bus was ..." My bad, sorry, a
genuine typo .. but the statement implies you think it was travelling
too fast.

Then you say "generally speaking, busses are driven too fast" adding
weight to the argument that you think the bus driver is at fault for
driving too fast and also implying that the cyclist was not at fault ..
then you say you don't know what speed the bus was going ..

Lack of consistency seems to imply it's you that's making things up.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old May 30th 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

Perhaps you are a wordsmith :-)

.. and perhaps you know nothing of me and just like to lump people
into pigeonholes that simply don't fit.

You are a bit touchy...

No, not really. I just got annoyed at an attack that isn't warranted
or explained, especially when you can't even explain what you're saying
I am. First I'm a pob, then a wordsmith ... I'd just like an
explanation.

Surely a 'person on bike', ie someone cycling, is a cyclist?

Or is it a derogatory term for someone?

What about someone who uses a bike just as a means to get to work, or
just as a plaything? or as a means to earn money? What about
Cyclo-Cross, where it's mainly 'just' a hobby ? Or Audax riders, are
they cyclists or POB's?

Sorry but I honestly don't understand what you mean by the term.

Old May 30th 10, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

At the time they're playing with footballs, what are they?
Footballers ... Like someone riding a BMX is cycling, he's a
cyclist ...

Kids playing football is slightly different to footballers playing
football.

But you originally said it was going too fast .. now every bus goes
too fast ...

I don't recall saying that, neither does my newsserver, are you sure
you didn't just make it up?

Actually you're right, you asked "if the bus was ..." My bad, sorry,
a genuine typo .. but the statement implies you think it was
travelling too fast.

Thank you, apology accepted. The bus probably *was* travelling too fast.
They usually do. I am not saying in this case it *was*, it just would not
come as any great shock if it was IYSWIM.

Then you say "generally speaking, busses are driven too fast" adding
weight to the argument that you think the bus driver is at fault for
driving too fast and also implying that the cyclist was not at fault
.. then you say you don't know what speed the bus was going ..

The kid on the bike was a cock. Most kids on bikes are cocks. In this case
someone died because the kid was a cock. But knowing that kids on bikes are
cocks the bus drivers should drive a bit slower. That way the kids on bikes
do not get squished and old ladies don't fall over and bang their bonces.

Lack of consistency seems to imply it's you that's making things up.

Blame, blame, blame. Drivers love blame because it exonerates them from any
responsibility.

Old May 30th 10, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

Perhaps you are a wordsmith :-)

.. and perhaps you know nothing of me and just like to lump people
into pigeonholes that simply don't fit.

You are a bit touchy...

No, not really. I just got annoyed at an attack that isn't warranted
or explained, especially when you can't even explain what you're
saying I am. First I'm a pob, then a wordsmith ... I'd just like an
explanation.

Surely a 'person on bike', ie someone cycling, is a cyclist?

Yeah sure...

Or is it a derogatory term for someone?

Mildly :-)

What about someone who uses a bike just as a means to get to work, or
just as a plaything? or as a means to earn money? What about
Cyclo-Cross, where it's mainly 'just' a hobby ? Or Audax riders, are
they cyclists or POB's?

Sorry but I honestly don't understand what you mean by the term.

Obviously :-(

Old May 30th 10, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
[...]

Where was the photo taken from & who took it, the most likely source is
from the buses camera.

Of course the picture was published in the hope that he could be traced,
what other reason would it be published?

--
Tony Dragon
Old May 30th 10, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_3_]

"mileburner" wrote in message
Paul - xxx wrote:
Actually you're right, you asked "if the bus was ..." My bad, sorry,
a genuine typo .. but the statement implies you think it was
travelling too fast.

Thank you, apology accepted. The bus probably *was* travelling too fast.
They usually do. I am not saying in this case it *was*, it just would not
come as any great shock if it was IYSWIM.

Some of the bus drivers around here drive like lunatics not that I have been
on a bus in my area. I was in Plymouth last year using a bus and was amazed
at how quickly the driver thought he could drive down a relatively narrow
street with cars parked both sides. I would never drive that fast, it would
be so easy for something to go wrong if someone emerged into the road
between parked cars.

Old May 30th 10, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_3_]

Paul - xxx wrote:
mileburner wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

[...]

I don't understand the term POB either and it would be useful if you could
explain.

Which is more dangerous to a cyclist? Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ® General 12 December 3rd 07 04:10 AM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist death in WA. Marty Australia 0 April 5th 05 06:50 AM
Walking is DANGEROUS! -- Third pedestrian death prompts serge Mountain Biking 0 February 9th 05 02:44 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM