"Police back 'Cassie's Law' campaign over unfit drivers"

Old March 4th 12, 07:15 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default "Police back 'Cassie's Law' campaign over unfit drivers"

These killer drivers should have their cars confiscated as well as
their licences. Why are our police so ineffective when it comes to
motorists and yet so effective by comparison at stopping peaceful
political protesters who don't even kill? Is it because motorists are
a powerful majority who protect their own?

"A woman whose daughter was killed by an 87-year-old motorist in a
crash has gained the support of Essex Police in her campaign over
unfit drivers.

Cassie McCord, 16, was pinned against a wall when Colin Horsfall's car
mounted a pavement at speed in Colchester.

Mr Horsfall had been warned three days earlier by police not to drive.

Essex Police said it fully supported Jackie McCord's "Cassie's Law"
campaign to give officers the power to immediately suspend licences.

Officers had spent two hours trying to persuade Mr Horsfall not to
drive his automatic Vauxhall Astra again after he was involved in a
minor incident, failed an eye test and had to be driven home..."

Mo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17245130

Incredible!

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.
Old March 4th 12, 11:28 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Norman Wells[_12_]

On Mar 4, 8:15*am, Doug wrote:
[...]

So, now you fully support extra-judicial powers of seizure and
punishment by the police? That's strange. I'm sure you were utterly
opposed just a few days ago.

Old March 4th 12, 12:25 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 04/03/2012 11:28, Norman Wells wrote:
On Mar 4, 8:15 am, wrote:
[...]

That was when the wind was blowing in the other direction.
Old March 4th 12, 02:34 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
DerekG

No it's because smelly rent-a-gobs are all ****e. (From the neck up).

"A woman whose daughter was killed by an 87-year-old motorist in a crash
has gained the support of Essex Police in her campaign over unfit
drivers.

Cassie McCord, 16, was pinned against a wall when Colin Horsfall's car
mounted a pavement at speed in Colchester.

Mr Horsfall had been warned three days earlier by police not to drive.

[...]

Officers had spent two hours trying to persuade Mr Horsfall not to drive
his automatic Vauxhall Astra again after he was involved in a minor
incident, failed an eye test and had to be driven home..."

[...]

Incredible!

Agreed.

Fu**ing greyheads !

DerekG

Old March 4th 12, 08:37 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
R. Mark Clayton

If the police had spent two hours taking Mr. Shortfall to court and getting
a bail condition of no driving that might have been more useful.

The police can confiscate cars.

Old March 5th 12, 12:19 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
DerekG

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 03:28:33 -0800, Norman Wells wrote:

On Mar 4, 8:15Â*am, Doug wrote:
These killer drivers should have their cars confiscated as well as
their licences.

Incredible!

So, now you fully support extra-judicial powers of seizure and
punishment by the police? That's strange. I'm sure you were utterly
opposed just a few days ago.

This is simply another example of "The Bollen Duality Conjecture" in
action ...

You know, just as there are two kinds of Ozone and two kinds of being
dead (If Duhg says so).

DerekG

Old March 5th 12, 08:07 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 4, 11:28*am, Norman Wells
wrote:
On Mar 4, 8:15*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

Are you serious or are you just confused? Obviously the police should
be allowed to act when lives are being put at serious risk. Why should
a car-weapon be treated any differently to any other weapon? If you
were toting a licenced gun in a street you would be surrounded by
police and the gun taken away from you. You would be lucky to remain
alive.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old March 5th 12, 08:21 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 5, 12:30*am, "Janitor of Lunacy" wrote:
"Alasdair" wrote in message

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 23:15:40 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

"A woman whose daughter was killed by an 87-year-old motorist in a
crash has gained the support of Essex Police in her campaign over
unfit drivers.

I don't approve of introducing hasty legislation to ban people from
driving as soon as they reach a certain age. (Consider the Dangerous
Dogs Act). *There is, however, a strong argument for making all
drivers take a refresher course and a test, say, *every 10 years or
so.

As I understand it, licensing expires at age 70 and is therefore renewable
at three-yearly intervals subject to being still medically to drive:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...fety/DG_195006

There's no requirement for a medical certificate of competence to drive, but
it wouldn't be unreasonable for a GP's certificate to be usable, with the
caveat that it would probably be as useful as an MOT certificate in relation
to a vehicle.

I passed my driving test many years ago when traffic and road
conditions were very different from those today. *I have doubtless
picked up many bad habits over the years and I would have no objection
to taking a refresher course and, if necessary, taking a test. *My
only concern is the cost.

Well of course car use is bound to be costly and it is advisable not
to let yourself become totally car dependent before old age sets in.
Anyway, a medical certificate of fitness to drive should be mandatory
not voluntary for all drivers, renewable every year like an MOT,
instead we have to suffer a general attitude of complacence about road
safety in the UK which puts everyone at risk.

It is outrageous that people are allowed to drive around in all sorts
of states of unfitness, such as defective eyesight, under the effects
of medication, and a variety of ailments, etc.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old March 5th 12, 10:55 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Norman Wells[_12_]

On Mar 5, 9:07*am, Doug wrote:
On Mar 4, 11:28*am, Norman Wells
wrote:

On Mar 4, 8:15*am, Doug wrote:

[...]

I quite agee that the police should be allowed to act extra-judicially
as you put it when there is a threat to life, including dangerous
drivers. I don't want them on the roads any more than you do.

Now we've established the principle, though, perhaps you'd now condemn
the death threats, violence, arson and poisoning of food on
supermarket shelves that are the stock in trade of your animal rights
mates, including your girlfriend Heather who is now enjoying life as a
guest of Her Majesty?

And don't say she was only convicted of conspiracy. We're talking
here about extra-judicial punishment. She should be locked up
regardless, shouldn't she?
Old March 5th 12, 03:48 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 05/03/2012 08:21, Doug wrote:

It is outrageous that people are allowed to drive around in all sorts
of states of unfitness, such as defective eyesight, under the effects
of medication, and a variety of ailments, etc.

Everybody over 50 ought to be kept under permanent house arrest?