Aldi offers

Old September 19th 04, 11:25 AM
John Pitcock

Default Aldi offers

This Thursday Aldi are offering several products for cyclists (again)
including
Bikemate SPD compatible Combi Bike Pedals at £12.99 and compatible shoes at
£19.99.
I've never tried SPD pedals, (I use clips) are these worth having for
general cycling?
Aldi products are usually excellent value.
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_3914.html

John Pitcock

Old September 19th 04, 11:34 AM
Paul - xxx

John Pitcock vaguely muttered something like ...

I've never tried SPD pedals, (I use clips) are these worth having for
general cycling?

Most definitely. These are cheap enough for anyone to try them out at
least, and especially good because you can still use 'normal' shoes as well
as having a set of bike/pedal specific shoes.

Aldi products are usually excellent value.
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_3914.html

Yup.

--
Paul ...

(8(|) Homer Rules !!!
http://paul-xxx.blogspot.com/ Just started a blog ..

Old September 19th 04, 11:51 AM
Skunk

Sorry to profess my ignorance but what does SPD mean/stand for.
I use pedals with toe straps or just ordinary pedals i.e. no clips o
straps. Would these shoes be suitable as I bought some clothing fro
Aldi and was quite impressed and was thinking of getting some shoes.
Cheers for any advice

--
Skunk
Old September 19th 04, 12:04 PM
Simonb

John Pitcock wrote:
This Thursday Aldi are offering several products for cyclists (again)
including
Bikemate SPD compatible Combi Bike Pedals at £12.99 and compatible
shoes at £19.99.
I've never tried SPD pedals, (I use clips) are these worth having for
general cycling?
Aldi products are usually excellent value.
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_3914.html

John Pitcock

That'll do me for winter. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old September 19th 04, 12:25 PM
Paul - xxx

Skunk vaguely muttered something like ...
Sorry to profess my ignorance but what does SPD mean/stand for.
I use pedals with toe straps or just ordinary pedals i.e. no clips or
straps. Would these shoes be suitable as I bought some clothing from
Aldi and was quite impressed and was thinking of getting some shoes.
Cheers for any advice.

Can't remember but I think it's something like "Shimano Pedalling Dynamics"

Basically you fasten an spd cleat to the sole of your spd compatible shoe.
The cleat clips into the spd side of the pedal and can't be pulled out by a
forwards or rearwards movement, onkly by twisting the foot. This gives the
effect of being strapped in, but is more stable, less prone to failure and
is a direct contact between shoe and pedal, unlike straps which can, and do,
give slightly.

Increases efficiency of anyones pedalling no end. 'A good thing' IMHO

Old September 19th 04, 03:02 PM
Martin Newstead

Paul - xxx wrote:
[...]

And you foot can move inside your shoe as only the bottom of the shoe is
fastened to the pedal, there is no strap around the top like with clips &
straps

Old September 19th 04, 04:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Skunk
') wrote:

Sorry to profess my ignorance but what does SPD mean/stand for.

'Shimano Pedal Dynamics' or some such marketing crap. Essentially the
most common design for clipless pedals currently. Not necessarily the
best, but they work (at least the Shimano ones do, andm ost of the
clones do too).

I use pedals with toe straps or just ordinary pedals i.e. no clips or
straps. Would these shoes be suitable as I bought some clothing from
Aldi and was quite impressed and was thinking of getting some shoes.

Clipless pedals are way better than toeclips.

;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...
Old September 20th 04, 03:42 PM
Gawnsoft

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:51:50 +1000, Skunk
wrote (more or less):

Sorry to profess my ignorance but what does SPD mean/stand for.
I use pedals with toe straps or just ordinary pedals i.e. no clips or
straps. Would these shoes be suitable as I bought some clothing from
Aldi and was quite impressed and was thinking of getting some shoes.
Cheers for any advice.

SPD is a backronym for s-pee-dee, aka 'Speedy', presumably to
highlight that it's a clipped pedal that's a lot faster to get in and
out of than trad. toe-clips.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old September 20th 04, 03:55 PM
Peter Clinch

Gawnsoft wrote:

SPD is a backronym for s-pee-dee, aka 'Speedy', presumably to
highlight that it's a clipped pedal that's a lot faster to get in and
out of than trad. toe-clips.

That's a new one on me. I've always known them as SPuDs, partly as it's
shorter to say and at least in part because it seems to annoy "purists"
almost as much as calling swimming fins "flippers"...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old September 20th 04, 05:16 PM
Mark Thompson

Looks like hanging out on u.r.c. (and on the one notable occasion)
with u.r.c-ers is turning me into a dedicated leisure cyclist, from my
previous devout utilitarianism...

Don't worry, winter'll soon fix that... :-)

Cycle Computers in Aldi? Colin Davidson UK 14 July 28th 04 04:32 PM
Aldi offers martin UK 8 September 22nd 03 11:25 PM
FYI Aldi Offers from 17-7-03 Brian UK 6 July 17th 03 12:41 PM