Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road

Old September 27th 04, 12:11 PM
JBB

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:56:31 +0100 someone who may be Tony Raven
wrote this:-

Yes it is people driving inappropriately for the conditions but just as
you can have dangerous cycling facilities you can have dangerous road as
well. It all comes down to the design. If you have junctions with no
sight lines there is a much greater probability there will be a
collision than if visibility is good.

This is not as great as the road "safety" lobby claims, due to risk
compensation.

I do have a degree of sympathy however with someone booted up the back as
they wait to turn right. I'm sure the junction warning signs are in place
and drivers are not slowing enough but it doesn't help the victim much.
As an aside I did a one day advanced driving course with my previous
employer. Our instructor ( ex traffic police) said if we only took one thing
away from the course it was to keep the wheels aligned fore and aft when
waiting to turn right. If you pre-empt the manoeuvre and are hit from behind
you are catapulted into the path of one-coming traffic. better to be pushed
down the road than into a head-on.

Julia

Old September 27th 04, 12:38 PM
Trevor Barton

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:11:01 +0100, JBB wrote:
Our instructor ( ex traffic police) said if we only took one thing
away from the course it was to keep the wheels aligned fore and aft when
waiting to turn right. If you pre-empt the manoeuvre and are hit from behind
you are catapulted into the path of one-coming traffic. better to be pushed
down the road than into a head-on.

That's sounds sensible enough. There you go, not only did you take that
away from the course, but you've converted another person too.!

In New Zealand, when turning right off a road, you're supposed to pull
over to the left until you can see the road is clear in both directions
before pulling all the way across. I'm not sure the range of roads that
that applies too, but it certainly applies on NSL-style roads in the
countryside, and there is usually a little right-turn layby on the left
side. Makes good sense from a safety point of view, but I'm not sure
how practical it would be with the traffic densities on UK roads.

--
Trevor Barton
Old September 27th 04, 12:40 PM
David Hansen

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:18:45 GMT someone who may be Juliette
wrote this:-

I wrote and
complained to the milk company and got a reply stating that
they'd checked the driver's tachograph and he had not been
exceeding the speed limit. Of course he wasn't, it's a twisty
country road and the limit is 60mph.

The speed limit for a lorry on such a road is 40mph.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old September 27th 04, 12:43 PM
David Hansen

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:11:01 +0100 someone who may be "JBB"
wrote this:-

I do have a degree of sympathy however with someone booted up the back as
they wait to turn right.

I have more than a degree of sympathy. I have complete sympathy.

I'm sure the junction warning signs are in place
and drivers are not slowing enough but it doesn't help the victim much.

The way to help the victim is by reducing danger at source. Sticking
plaster "improvements" to roads, as advocated by the road "safety"
lobby, are more to do with speeding up motorists than making the
roads safer.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old September 27th 04, 12:44 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

wrote this:-

I wrote and
complained to the milk company and got a reply stating that
they'd checked the driver's tachograph and he had not been
exceeding the speed limit. Of course he wasn't, it's a twisty
country road and the limit is 60mph.

The speed limit for a lorry on such a road is 40mph.

Yeah right. I'll believe that when I see it.

Old September 27th 04, 12:47 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

wrote this:-

I do have a degree of sympathy however with someone booted up the back as
they wait to turn right.

I have more than a degree of sympathy. I have complete sympathy.

I'm sure the junction warning signs are in place
and drivers are not slowing enough but it doesn't help the victim much.

The way to help the victim is by reducing danger at source. Sticking
plaster "improvements" to roads, as advocated by the road "safety"
lobby, are more to do with speeding up motorists than making the
roads safer.

Of course, with a properly painted bay at every right hand turn, it
makes cutting the goolies off the offender easier to do as it would
be much easier to prove dangerous driving if someone had booted
someone up the rear crossing into a painted resserve.

Old September 27th 04, 01:12 PM
David Hansen

On 27 Sep 2004 12:44:55 +0100 someone who may be Ambrose Nankivell
wrote this:-

The speed limit for a lorry on such a road is 40mph.

Yeah right. I'll believe that when I see it.

See the Highway Code.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old September 27th 04, 02:08 PM
Ian Smith

On 27 Sep 2004 11:38:53 GMT, Trevor Barton wrote:

In New Zealand, when turning right off a road, you're supposed to pull
over to the left until you can see the road is clear in both directions
before pulling all the way across. I'm not sure the range of roads that
that applies to

I've a recollection it's in teh countryside a car turning right gives
way to a car behind it (ie, you want to turn right, you pull over to
teh left and let teh thing behind you past), but in a town you don't.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

who is 64.12.116.134? CowPunk Racing 21 September 28th 04 06:28 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
Speed Cameras - Sunday Times Scotland Article iarocu UK 264 December 27th 03 08:22 PM
Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death Snoopy Racing 78 September 10th 03 02:55 AM