If you need to take down accident details.

Old March 13th 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default If you need to take down accident details.

This morning in bed I was going through a scenario in my head where I had
been involved in a RTA with a motor vehicle. I realised that I do not carry
a pen and paper with me to exchange details etc and knew I had no hope of
remembering anything after years of abusing my old brain with beer ;-)

I do however carry a minidisc player and have used it in the past to record
sounds through its mic in socket. I believe i-pods and some other mp3
players have microphone input sockets.

Ah but wouldn't you have to carry a microphone around with you? Well no - a
loudspeaker is a microphone in reverse, so I plugged in the earpieces into
the mic-in socket and then recited my car reg number into it.

The signal strength bar moved as I spoke and listening to the recording I
could make out every word. Then I realised that most people have cameras on
their mobile phones ( I don't have a phone) and could photograph the
details, so it wasn't such a good idea after all. :-/

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old March 13th 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message , Simon
Mason writes
This morning in bed I was going through a scenario in my head where I
had been involved in a RTA with a motor vehicle. I realised that I do
not carry a pen and paper with me to exchange details etc and knew I
had no hope of remembering anything after years of abusing my old brain
with beer ;-)

I do however carry a minidisc player and have used it in the past to
record sounds through its mic in socket. I believe i-pods and some
other mp3 players have microphone input sockets.

Ah but wouldn't you have to carry a microphone around with you? Well no
- a loudspeaker is a microphone in reverse, so I plugged in the
earpieces into the mic-in socket and then recited my car reg number
into it.

IIRC, both my daughters' MP3 players have a built in mics anyway.

The signal strength bar moved as I spoke and listening to the recording
I could make out every word. Then I realised that most people have
cameras on their mobile phones ( I don't have a phone) and could
photograph the details, so it wasn't such a good idea after all. :-/

There could be occasions when you can't photograph things, such as a hit
and run, or recording an address etc.

My phone has an audio record function as well I think, alternatively I
could ring home and leave the details on the answer phone
--
Chris French

Old March 13th 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

You can't photograph something someone tells you, so perhaps the dictation
machine idea still has legs. Mind you, modern phones also have the
sound-recorder facility built in.
Old March 13th 09, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

I will add a pen an small notebook to my cycling mini bag to go along with
the emergency tool kit & spare tube.

Old March 13th 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

AndyC wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message
Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Everyone should always carry a pen or pencil anyway.
Old March 13th 09, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:58:31 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

You can't photograph something someone tells you, so perhaps the dictation
machine idea still has legs. Mind you, modern phones also have the
sound-recorder facility built in.

An interesting question comes to mind. If you record something at the
scene of an incident, either by the camera or the voice memo feature
on your mobile, is that record admissable in court? ISTR that as a
witness you're allowed to refer to _notes_ taken at the time of the
incident.
Old March 13th 09, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

wrote:

You can't photograph something someone tells you, so perhaps the dictation
machine idea still has legs. Mind you, modern phones also have the
sound-recorder facility built in.

An interesting question comes to mind. If you record something at the
scene of an incident, either by the camera or the voice memo feature
on your mobile, is that record admissable in court? ISTR that as a
witness you're allowed to refer to _notes_ taken at the time of the
incident.

I suppose with the sound recording idea you could actually interview
witnesses and get them to give their names and addresses without the bother
of writing them down.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Since even the tiniest details matter . . . [email protected] Techniques 12 February 20th 09 09:33 AM
tandem with odd details [email protected] Techniques 0 November 30th 08 05:22 AM
Yoga details vij Recumbent Biking 0 October 14th 07 01:05 AM
Details Ewoud Dronkert Racing 6 October 4th 07 03:29 PM
Bmw 2004 -2 Details! pluto Unicycling 20 September 14th 04 10:11 PM