Cycling casualties plummet despite rise in numbers

Old March 31st 12, 06:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Cycling casualties plummet despite rise in numbers

And as practically nobody wears a helmet, other factors must be
involved like traffic calming and 20mph zones.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/safer.jpg

--
Simon Mason
Old March 31st 12, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 31, 6:41*am, Simon Mason wrote:
And as practically nobody wears a helmet, other factors must be
involved like traffic calming and 20mph zones.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/safer.jpg

Safety in numbers. I agree about the irrelevance of cycle helmets,
though I would hardly use the word "plummet".

"1. Safety According to the Jacobsenís Growth Rule, if the amount of
cycling doubles, the risk per cyclist falls by 34 percent. If cycling
halves, the risk per cyclist increases by 52 percent. Source: Safety
in numbers, more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and
bicycling,"

PL Jacobsen, Injury Prevention, Sept 2003. (Vandenbulcke et al, 2009).
Cycle Rates by Country."

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old April 5th 12, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 31/03/2012 06:41, Simon Mason wrote:
And as practically nobody wears a helmet, other factors must be
involved like traffic calming and 20mph zones.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/safer.jpg

--
Simon Mason

The Porky Chapman Helmet Test.

1] Wear a cycle helmet & allow someone to hit you on the head with a hammer.
2] Repeat, but without wearing the cycle helmet.

Record which one hurts the most & causes most trauma.

‘Just ziz **** you know’ is unable to refute the scientific basis of
this test and seems unwilling to try it on his own head.

University
Old April 5th 12, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 4, 1:43*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
Doug considered Sat, 31 Mar 2012 02:47:20 -0700
(PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Mar 31, 6:41*am, Simon Mason wrote:
And as practically nobody wears a helmet, other factors must be
involved like traffic calming and 20mph zones.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/safer.jpg

Safety in numbers. I agree about the irrelevance of cycle helmets,
though I would hardly use the word "plummet".

"1. Safety According to the Jacobsenís Growth Rule, if the amount of
cycling doubles, the risk per cyclist falls by 34 percent. If cycling
halves, the risk per cyclist increases by 52 percent. Source: Safety
in numbers, more walkers and bicyclists, safer walking and
bicycling,"

PL Jacobsen, Injury Prevention, Sept 2003. (Vandenbulcke et al, 2009).
Cycle Rates by Country."

The impressive thing is that Hull seems to have beaten the safety
improvement rate predicted by that study, and by a considerable
margin.

It is largely due to the 130 odd 20mph zones I reckon.

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2010/10...ads-safer.html

--
Simon Mason
Old April 6th 12, 05:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 19:03:07 +0100, Dave - Cyclists VOR wrote:

Porky Chapman

The cyberstalker will claim that the victim is harassing him/her. Bocij
writes that this phenomenon has been noted in a number of well-known
cases.

--
Life is a venereal disease with 100% mortality.
Old April 6th 12, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Apr 6, 2:12*am, Phil W Lee wrote:
Simon Mason considered Thu, 5 Apr 2012 11:59:42
[...]

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2010/10...-20mph-zones-d...

It might get even better if they combined them into larger ones.
The eventual aim should be for just one.- Hide quoted text -

They keep getting rolled out year after year and so in time all of the
residential areas will become 20mph as a default speed limit.

--
Simon Mason