Squeaky wheel after gentle 'crash'?

Old September 16th 03, 03:14 AM
Rick Onanian

Default Squeaky wheel after gentle 'crash'?

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:23:54 +0000 (UTC), Badger South
wrote:
However, now the front wheel squeaks twice per rotation when I

Sounds like the wheel is out of true. Spin it and look at
it next to the brake pad; see if it appears to wobble.

Would this likely be brake pad misalignment due to the fall, or

Brake pad misalignment would most likely be obvious.

could it be the bearing inside the wheel hub. Any ideas on how
to tell the difference?

Put your ear near the hub when you know it will make the
noise.

TIA ;-)

-B

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 16th 03, 04:02 AM
Badger South

wrote:
However, now the front wheel squeaks twice per rotation when I

Sounds like the wheel is out of true. Spin it and look at
it next to the brake pad; see if it appears to wobble.

Would this likely be brake pad misalignment due to the fall, or

Brake pad misalignment would most likely be obvious.

could it be the bearing inside the wheel hub. Any ideas on how
to tell the difference?

Put your ear near the hub when you know it will make the
noise.

TIA ;-)

-B

--
Rick Onanian

Hi Rick. Thanks -so- much for the tips. So by 'out of true' do
you mean spokes are out of proper tension? Today the squeak
seemed to be coming from the bearings. Guess I'll take it in
for a tune up. Hard to believe that laying it down would have
this much effect - I hardly felt it. Hah, I say that but then
recall I tore the crap outta my ankle. Oddly it was the top
ankle, not the one under the bike that got black and blue and
scraped.

I did have the brake pads adjusted, but I'm still feeling the
vibration like they're still slightly rubbing when I'm coasting
on flat smooth surfaces. I was hoping this little bit of
rubbing would stop once I wore down the brake pads from it.

I'll followup after the tune up.

-Badger

Old September 17th 03, 01:55 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 03:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Badger South
wrote:
Hi Rick. Thanks -so-much for the tips. So by 'out of true' do
you mean spokes are out of proper tension? Today the squeak

In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, you will likely
need to adjust the spokes away from proper tension to make
it true. If you look at the wheel as it spins and it appears
to wobble or get closer/farther to/from the brake pads, then
it is out of true (there are other trueness measurements but
they are more difficult and less important for practical use).

I did have the brake pads adjusted, but I'm still feeling the
vibration like they're still slightly rubbing when I'm coasting
on flat smooth surfaces. I was hoping this little bit of
rubbing would stop once I wore down the brake pads from it.

That's certainly the wrong way to go about that. Brake pads
are easy to adjust; you may even have a barrel adjuster that
you can back off a bit until they don't rub.

However, if they don't rub evenly all the way around the
rim, then you definately need to true the wheel.

I'll followup after the tune up.

The tune-up should include truing the wheels.

-Badger

--
Rick Onanian
Old September 17th 03, 02:39 AM
Badger South

wrote:
Hi Rick. Thanks -so-much for the tips. So by 'out of true' do
you mean spokes are out of proper tension? Today the squeak

In a perfect world, yes. In the real world, you will likely
need to adjust the spokes away from proper tension to make
it true. If you look at the wheel as it spins and it appears
to wobble or get closer/farther to/from the brake pads, then
it is out of true (there are other trueness measurements but
they are more difficult and less important for practical use).

What I did today was go out and 'strum' the spokes on both
sides and the 'squeak' stopped. So that must be the cause. I'll
still probably take it in, b/c the front handlebars are too
low, and are of the new type, and not easily raised. I think
they require a spacer. The handlebars are the type: {___} and I
can hold the verticle end bars, but it's tiring. My bike shop
only charges $10 for these kinds of small tuneups.

I did have the brake pads adjusted, but I'm still feeling the
vibration like they're still slightly rubbing when I'm coasting
on flat smooth surfaces. I was hoping this little bit of
rubbing would stop once I wore down the brake pads from it.

That's certainly the wrong way to go about that. Brake pads
are easy to adjust; you may even have a barrel adjuster that
you can back off a bit until they don't rub.

Don't think I have a 'barrel adjuster', but I'll look for it.

However, if they don't rub evenly all the way around the
rim, then you definately need to true the wheel.

I'll followup after the tune up.

The tune-up should include truing the wheels.

-Badger

--
Rick Onanian

Thx again. ;-)