Lane positioning at stoplight

Old September 16th 03, 08:58 PM
Bob M

Default Lane positioning at stoplight

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:01:25 -0600, Matthew
wrote:

Saturday was my first ride with a local club. Toward the end of the ride,
we
came to a red light at a busy intersection with only one lane of traffic
in
each direction. The route went straight through the intersection. Most of
the club riders rode to the right of the cars stopped at the light and
waited at the intersection for a green light. It seemed to me this was
unfair to drivers and held up car traffic as most of them were turning
right. Another rider rode to the left of the cars and, if everyone had
done
the same, would have allowed drivers turning right to proceed but may
have
been dangerous if a driver was turning left. I stopped behind the last
car
in line at the intersection and proceeded as I would have if I were
driving
a car. This seemed like the safest option to me but I'm wondering how
more
experienced riders handle intersections such as this.

Additional note: There was a county sheriff in the line of cars and he
didn't cite any of the cyclist so I assume he didn't see any grave
mistake.

TIA
Matthew

When riding by myself, I get the in the line of cars. I get immediately
behind a car and wait my turn.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Old September 16th 03, 09:07 PM
tsp

when riding around campus with slower and more aware traffic i sometimes
stand aside the cars.. and i cut and weave sometimes also.

however, on the road, i almost always line up in the lane as does a car.

Old September 16th 03, 09:14 PM
dr. dave

Matthew wrote:
[...]

If there is only one lane in your direction of travel, do
not try to make a second lane by going either to the right
or left of the cars. You may get nailed by a turning car as
they do not expect traffic on either side of them in their
direction of travel. Get in the back of the line like the
rest of the traffic.

Old September 16th 03, 09:25 PM

If there is only one lane in your direction of travel, do
not try to make a second lane by going either to the right
or left of the cars. You may get nailed by a turning car as
they do not expect traffic on either side of them in their
direction of travel. Get in the back of the line like the
rest of the traffic.

I also believe in waiting in your place in the line. If you slide up
between the row of cars, you're making people pass you twice.

when I'm naturally at the front, I scooch as far over to the left as I
can and sometimes also poke out into the crosswalk (where there is one)
so cars to the right can make right turns.

Old September 16th 03, 09:34 PM
NY Rides

I pull up behind the right rear bumper of the car in front of me and wait
until it appears the light will turn green. Then I get a little head start
and proceed as if I'm driving a car.

I think the key is always letting drivers know exactly what you intend to
do, whether it's turning or going straight ahead.

--
Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area
www.geocities.com/NYRides

Old September 16th 03, 09:59 PM
trg

"Matthew" a écrit dans le message de
[...]

I ride my bike the same way as I ride a motorcycle. In the States that means
riding exactly as if I'm in a car. In Paris that means passing on the left,
right, crossing into the oncoming traffic lane to pass, pulling ahead of a
line of cars waiting at a stop light and putting myself in front (there is
often a space between the ped xing and the car stop line specifically for
bikes). However, I don't go through stoplights, which the majority of
cyclists in Paris do. Of course they don't go as fast as I do, either.

---

Old September 16th 03, 11:37 PM
Boyd Speerschneider

"Matthew" wrote in
:

[...]

At an intersection of a road with no bike lane, I pass all of the cars on
the right and line up first at the stop light. I then go when the light is
green. This doesn't hold anyone up who intends to turn right for two
reasons:

1) They would have all ready gone.
2) I'm usually through the intersection before the car behind overcomes its
moment of inertia.

The way I look at it is if the drivers feel they have a right to pass me in
the same lane, then I have the same right. Essentially, its like creating a
virtual bicycle lane when there really isn't one. On a road without a bike
lane, I tend to ride just as far from the edge so I don't have to ride
through a bunch of broken glass or potholes, but that's it. Normally,
this means I ride on or slightly to the right of the white line. I've been
riding this way for 10 years and haven't come close to getting run over
yet. I also have very few punctures and my wheels tend to stay true.

Some drivers do get ****ed off when I pass them at the intersection.
**** 'em.

- Boyd S.

ps. If I'm in a big group its a different story.. then we should all just
stay behind the cars to avoid chaos.
Old September 17th 03, 12:05 AM
Scott Munro

wrote:

Saturday was my first ride with a local club. Toward the end of the ride, we
came to a red light at a busy intersection with only one lane of traffic in
each direction. The route went straight through the intersection. Most of
the club riders rode to the right of the cars stopped at the light and
waited at the intersection for a green light. It seemed to me this was
unfair to drivers and held up car traffic as most of them were turning
right. Another rider rode to the left of the cars and, if everyone had done
the same, would have allowed drivers turning right to proceed but may have
been dangerous if a driver was turning left. I stopped behind the last car
in line at the intersection and proceeded as I would have if I were driving
a car. This seemed like the safest option to me but I'm wondering how more
experienced riders handle intersections such as this.

You were right.

I don't know what the law says where you are, but around here, passing
on the right is only permitted:

"(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left
turn; [or]

"(b) Upon a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for
two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being
traveled by the overtaking vehicle."

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...tion=46.61.115

In addition to being rude and (sometimes) illegal, passing on the
right can also be dangerous. If the light turns green, the cars are
going to proceed. If a cyclist is passing the lead car just as the
light turns green, he might well get hit, and it's his own fault.

Additional note: There was a county sheriff in the line of cars and he
didn't cite any of the cyclist so I assume he didn't see any grave mistake.

I was once stopped at a stoplight and had a cop pass me on the left
and turn right directly in front of me, so cops are not necessarily
blessed with greater knowledge of the law (or plain common sense) than
the rest of us.

--
Conservatism is the ideology of reality.