Are Lemond frames that different?

Old September 17th 03, 08:34 PM
David L. Johnson

Default Are Lemond frames that different?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 05:38:18 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

The real issue here is your suitability to a "LeMond-style" riding
position,

Well put. The way the OP dscribed his discussion with the guy in the
shop, he was being directed to Lemond's style. Personally, I would not be
comfortable with that style, but this is very individual. That's why I
question the advice. He just walked in the shop and the guy was trying to
get him to ride like Greg.

My advice would be to see what someone else says, say someone who sells a
different brand of bike. The fit is more important than frame material or
anything else, and if that fit is not suited to you, you will not like
riding the bike.

*which is as much determined by the setup as it is the frame
geometry, at least in this case.

Yes, but a Lemond is certainly easier to set up with that riding position,
and harder to set up with a more conservative position.

The person doing the fit certainly
believes you would benefit, but how does it feel to you? Could be that it
might take some time for you to tell... in that case, the other relevant
issue is whether you fit the same bike if you bring the seat forward and
switch to a longer stem. Chances are you can, unless you're at the edge of
fitting it.

But that is a good question. If you would need a very short stem, or
weird seatpost, to return to a more classic position, maybe the bike would
not be so good for you.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 17th 03, 09:37 PM
Bob M

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:34:31 -0400, David L. Johnson
wrote:

[...]

These are definitely individual issues. On my LeMond, I have my Brooks
saddle pushed back as far as it will go AND went from the original 110mm
stem to a 130mm stem. For me, the LeMond's top tube is still shorter than
I desire it to be. (And, I'm -- or my knees are -- only slightly behind
the pedal axles.) However, if you want a conventional position and the
LeMond allows you to have that position, at least then you have the option
of going behind the pedal axles. On my Trek, this simply was not an
option, even with set-back seatposts and thin seats (which still gave me a
TOPS position).

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

FS: Ross MTB Frames BikeStuff General 1 September 7th 03 03:40 AM
custom frames [email protected] General 1 August 1st 03 04:47 PM
C'dale R1000 or Lemond Buenos Aires? Attractive Nuisance General 2 July 29th 03 12:03 AM
LeMond v. Trek Bob M General 14 July 19th 03 06:42 PM