Best US Biking Town 50,000 and under

Old September 18th 03, 02:31 PM
Green Hill

Default Best US Biking Town 50,000 and under

I've been sitting here reading about good biking cities, some that are
bad. But what about towns 50,000 and under. Towns that have pedestrain
and biker friendly infrastructure, a sensible grid system. Just
courious on everyones thought on this.

Hill
Old September 18th 03, 03:46 PM
Ken

(Green Hill) wrote in news:88af5f6.0309180531.d6ad8e4
@posting.google.com:
I've been sitting here reading about good biking cities, some that are
bad. But what about towns 50,000 and under.

See:
http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity....ssrelease3.htm
http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/medprs051503.htm

I think most college towns have some level of bicycle friendliness,
especially those with 52 week a year cycling weather.
Old September 18th 03, 04:17 PM
Craig Brossman

Green Hill wrote:
I've been sitting here reading about good biking cities, some that are
bad. But what about towns 50,000 and under. Towns that have pedestrain
and biker friendly infrastructure, a sensible grid system. Just
courious on everyones thought on this.

Hill

I am certain there are none in Western Colorado.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Old September 18th 03, 05:07 PM
David Reuteler

Ken wrote:
: http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity....ssrelease3.htm

i wouldn't trust any group that puts denver, co in the "silver" category.
aurora in particuliar is brutal. minneapolis, san francisco, seattle and
for matter los angeles are far friendlier.

i'm sure denver made the list for their extensive sidewalk compaign (aka
cherry creek trail, et al). i'd like to see them getting off the sidewalk
and reevaluating that rating.

this has mostly been a rant, thanks for your time.
--
david reuteler

Old September 18th 03, 05:51 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Green Hill" wrote in message

I've been sitting here reading about good biking cities, some that are
bad. But what about towns 50,000 and under. Towns that have pedestrain
and biker friendly infrastructure, a sensible grid system. Just
courious on everyones thought on this.

I can't think of a more bike-friendly town than here -- Blacksburg, VA. I think
the population is 38,000, plus it's connected to Christiansburg, which is
another 16,000 or so. But it doesn't feel nearly that big, probably because
half the population are VA Tech students. There's plenty more to this place
than VA Tech, though, lots of other industry.

Neighborhoods are mostly grid streets. Plus it's surrounded by country/mountain
roads with some of the best cycling in North America. So it might be even
better than what you're thinking about. Bikes are common, traffic is light, and
drivers are docile. This is an excellent out-your-backdoor town for an avid
cyclist. We've been rated very highly by magazines like Outside, Men's Health,
etc. You'd better like hills, though...

Most of all, the climate is mild.

There are half a dozen hardcore cyclists on our street. Two of us don't own
cars, and one doesn't drive at all.

Perhaps I shouldn't let the word out, but more cyclists are always welcome.

Matt O.

Old September 18th 03, 07:58 PM
Alex Colvin

I've been sitting here reading about good biking cities, some that are
bad. But what about towns 50,000 and under. Towns that have pedestrain
and biker friendly infrastructure, a sensible grid system. Just
courious on everyones thought on this.

Hanover, NH. Also, most of the State of VT.
They're not much for grids, though. Generally Main St with a few side
streets.
--
mac the naïf
Old September 18th 03, 11:13 PM
Green Hill

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message ...
"Green Hill" wrote in message

[...]

I think I've heard somone mention Blackburg recently. Sounds like a
interesting town, nestled in the Appliachians I think. Im used to
hills, Im from Tennessee. Certaintly would be nice town to take a look
at. Im just broadening my horizons, courious mostly. Whats the weather
like up there?

Hill
Old September 18th 03, 11:20 PM
Matt O'Toole

"Green Hill" wrote in message
m...

I think I've heard somone mention Blackburg recently. Sounds like a
interesting town, nestled in the Appliachians I think. Im used to
hills, Im from Tennessee. Certaintly would be nice town to take a look
at. Im just broadening my horizons, courious mostly. Whats the weather
like up there?

Right now, rainy. Otherwise, similar to eastern Tennessee, in the mountains.

Matt O.