Bicycling In London

Old September 21st 03, 01:36 AM
AMollitor

Default Bicycling In London

I hope to spend a week in London in mid-November. I suspect the weather won't
be great, but would like to try one cycling experience while there.

I've seen the web site for the London Bicycle Tour Co., and that seems
convenient. Has anyone had experience with them?

I've read a few issues of "Cycling Plus" magazine (WAY better than our sorry
"Buycycling"!), and drool over the St John St Cycle ads in the back, but as far
as I can tell their shop is pretty far from London. Is there another great shop
in town?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Al Mollitor, MA, USA
Old September 21st 03, 03:21 AM
Luigi de Guzman

On 21 Sep 2003 00:36:46 GMT, (AMollitor) wrote:

I hope to spend a week in London in mid-November. I suspect the weather won't
be great, but would like to try one cycling experience while there.

I've seen the web site for the London Bicycle Tour Co., and that seems
convenient. Has anyone had experience with them?

They're located on Gabriel's Wharf, on the South Bank, as far as I can
remember. See their bikes around; I haven't seen too many obvious
out-of-town tourists off the river. Doesn't mean they don't
exist--but the city intimidates many people from riding on the roads
who aren't already confident in their skill on the bike.

I've read a few issues of "Cycling Plus" magazine (WAY better than our sorry
"Buycycling"!), and drool over the St John St Cycle ads in the back, but as far
as I can tell their shop is pretty far from London. Is there another great shop
in town?

Evans' Cycles main shop is by Waterloo Station; they're pretty big.

Cycling in London is an experience. If you ride in traffic, it's not
much different to any other big city. They drive on the Other Side
there, of course, so left turns are kind of hairy.

Most confusing to the neophyte may be the traffic signals. The yellow
will flash before the green goes on. And sometimes it's dififcult to
tell which lane has a red light in some situations. Roundabouts are
easier: wait your turn and join with the rest of the traffic--nothing
could be simpler.

In the City of London, proper, I find it's actually a lot easier than
the volume of traffic might suggest. Most of the drivers are black
cabs, and therefore are not dumb, even if they can be a bit
aggressive. They will by and large respect your lane space. Ditto
red buses, but be advised of the large blind spots &c.

London's flat and very easily navigable by bicycle, if you don't lose
your nerve. Buy a good pocket A-Z map--the sort that folds out to
show Central London is better than the pocket-atlas type--and knock
yourself out. My favourite moment is going from Trafalgar Square down
Horse Guards--from total traffic chaos to relative silence....and then
pedal your way to either Kensington Palace or Buckingham Palace.

-Luigi