A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 20th 18, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,826
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Ads
  #2  
Old January 21st 18, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 150
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.


Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
  #3  
Old January 22nd 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,121
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.


Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!


I've done it, and it was marginal. Not so bad as a "NONO! Don't do
that!", but, well, a bit close.

  #4  
Old January 22nd 18, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,767
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 07:08:51 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.


Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!


I've done it, and it was marginal. Not so bad as a "NONO! Don't do
that!", but, well, a bit close.


Sheldon had a chart showing minimum and maximum tire and rim widths. I
don't think he was the originator of the chart as I
seen other versions, but from my limited use it seemed to be
sufficiently accurate.
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #5  
Old January 22nd 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,623
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 1/22/2018 2:27 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 07:08:51 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.

Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width

Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!


I've done it, and it was marginal. Not so bad as a "NONO! Don't do
that!", but, well, a bit close.


Sheldon had a chart showing minimum and maximum tire and rim widths. I
don't think he was the originator of the chart as I
seen other versions, but from my limited use it seemed to be
sufficiently accurate.


That chart's toward the bottom at this URL:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #6  
Old January 22nd 18, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,826
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 2018-01-21 22:08, Tosspot wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.


Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width


Uh-oh, looks close.


Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!



Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel and
even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the selection of
ready-to-go wheels.


I've done it, and it was marginal. Not so bad as a "NONO! Don't do
that!", but, well, a bit close.


As long as the tire won't come off, dig itself into the rim or slide
around on there I'd be ok.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #7  
Old January 22nd 18, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,888
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-21 22:08, Tosspot wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-20, Joerg wrote:
Are 700c 25mm road bike tires ok on these or is that pushing it? The lip
to lip dimension inside is 19mm. Says 28 but maybe someone knows whether
25mm would fit.

http://www.weinmanntek.com/Products/MTB/ZAC19.htm

Reason I ask is because I could potentially get a nice rear wheel with
12ga spokes. My current one breaks spokes all the time plus the rim will
soon be up anyhow.

Not recommended. Use a 28mm or wider tire on a 19mm rim.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#width


Uh-oh, looks close.


Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or smaller
tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when mounted on a
wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will be
stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!



Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel and
even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the selection of
ready-to-go wheels.


I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames, and re-spacing your frame from 126mm to 130mm is a breeze, assuming it is needed.

I've never seen a road wheel with 12g spokes -- not on a sport frame. You're trying to use a mid-fi club racer for a cargo bike. You should get a cargo bike or a gravel bike.

-- Jay Beattie.
  #8  
Old January 23rd 18, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,826
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-21 22:08, Tosspot wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:


[...]


Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or
smaller tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when
mounted on a wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!


Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.


I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,



I meant with 12g SS spokes.


... and re-spacing your frame
from 126mm to 130mm is a breeze, assuming it is needed.


It will be necessary. No problem bending it up but if I have to
straighten the slotted drop-outs afterwards that is probably more
tricky. Not sure, never done that.


I've never seen a road wheel with 12g spokes -- not on a sport frame.



For heavy guys who sometimes carry a load and must weather some rougher
roads it makes sense.


You're trying to use a mid-fi club racer for a cargo bike. You
should get a cargo bike or a gravel bike.


I like this old bike. It has sturdy rack eyelets and a nice rack on
there. Works well. Why should I buy a whole new steel trekking bike for
$1500 when I can buy a wheel for $100 and be done with it? Plus then

my wife would want me to get rid of the Gazelle road bike and I just
can't do that. It would be like throwing away a 50's era Porsche.

The only downside of this bike is that it doesn't have low gears for
steeper hills. So I have to use the MTB for such rides but that's not a
big deal, comes at a small speed penalty and life isn't about racing
through it. At least not for me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #9  
Old January 23rd 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,767
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:07:29 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-21 22:08, Tosspot wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:


[...]


Additionally, on a frame/fork that can only accept 25mm or
smaller tires, your 25mm tire may end up too wide to fit when
mounted on a wide rim, so be careful.

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!


Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.


I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,



I meant with 12g SS spokes.


... and re-spacing your frame
from 126mm to 130mm is a breeze, assuming it is needed.


It will be necessary. No problem bending it up but if I have to
straighten the slotted drop-outs afterwards that is probably more
tricky. Not sure, never done that.


I've never seen a road wheel with 12g spokes -- not on a sport frame.



For heavy guys who sometimes carry a load and must weather some rougher
roads it makes sense.


You're trying to use a mid-fi club racer for a cargo bike. You
should get a cargo bike or a gravel bike.


I like this old bike. It has sturdy rack eyelets and a nice rack on
there. Works well. Why should I buy a whole new steel trekking bike for
$1500 when I can buy a wheel for $100 and be done with it? Plus then

my wife would want me to get rid of the Gazelle road bike and I just
can't do that. It would be like throwing away a 50's era Porsche.

The only downside of this bike is that it doesn't have low gears for
steeper hills. So I have to use the MTB for such rides but that's not a
big deal, comes at a small speed penalty and life isn't about racing
through it. At least not for me.


Having been there and done that I would suggest that if the drop-outs
require aligning that you take it to a shop. Not that aligning the
frame is an overwhelming problem rather that a shop will (hopefully)
have the correct tools which makes a successful outcome far more
likely.

See: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...pout-alignment

--
Cheers,

John B.

  #10  
Old January 23rd 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,826
Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 2018-01-22 17:54, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:07:29 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:


[...]

You're trying to use a mid-fi club racer for a cargo bike. You
should get a cargo bike or a gravel bike.


I like this old bike. It has sturdy rack eyelets and a nice rack on
there. Works well. Why should I buy a whole new steel trekking bike for
$1500 when I can buy a wheel for $100 and be done with it? Plus then

my wife would want me to get rid of the Gazelle road bike and I just
can't do that. It would be like throwing away a 50's era Porsche.

The only downside of this bike is that it doesn't have low gears for
steeper hills. So I have to use the MTB for such rides but that's not a
big deal, comes at a small speed penalty and life isn't about racing
through it. At least not for me.


Having been there and done that I would suggest that if the drop-outs
require aligning that you take it to a shop. Not that aligning the
frame is an overwhelming problem rather that a shop will (hopefully)
have the correct tools which makes a successful outcome far more
likely.

See: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...pout-alignment


Yup. Though a couple of long enough screws should also do the trick.
First I have to find a good wheel though. If I end up having to rebuild
one around the old Shimano 600 hub I won't need to bend up the frame.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MA3-to-Open Sport rims and tight 700c tires Scott Gordo Techniques 4 July 31st 07 07:15 PM
Which street tires for Araya 26 x 1.75 rims with interior width ofabout 25mm? SMS Techniques 5 June 1st 07 06:44 AM
FS: 80's 6spd Wheelset w/freewheel, Weinmann Rims [email protected] Marketplace 1 September 17th 05 06:09 PM
FA/FS: Ambrosio, Nisi, Weinmann and Araya rims Gemma_k Marketplace 0 June 11th 05 01:25 AM
700c - 23mm -> 25mm tyre fitting trouble Webbo73 UK 4 January 18th 05 07:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.