ethical dilemma

Old June 8th 04, 04:32 PM

Default ethical dilemma

in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery, no
charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.

It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to me
in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

Old June 8th 04, 11:41 PM
Plodder

TKB wrote in message
u...
in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery, no
charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.

It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to

me
in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

Buy it if you like. I wouldn't try to rationalise the purchase; that's just
kidding yourself. You know it's probably stolen and that less would be
stolen if people didn't buy stolen goods.
Buy it honestly, along with feeling the guilt in the same way that one
should buy bacon while keeping in mind that an animal died for it or petrol
knowing the atrocities that have been committed to bring it to you.
If you can't put up with the feeling of guilt, don't buy.
There you go... that didn't help, did it?

Frank

Old June 9th 04, 12:00 AM
hippy

TKB wrote:
in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery,
no charger, and no brackets to hold the light's. It's got to be stolen
but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to me in such a way
that I don't feel guilty buying it!

How much money do you earn? How much night riding do you do? How much
would you miss those lights if they were stolen off your own bike? With
no bracket or charger - how are you gonna mount and charge them? Have
you priced similar, new models?

If you are on a good wage, don't be such a tightass (I can talk :P). If
you need to night ride and you can't afford another system then buy
them. I wouldn't knowingly buy stolen gear, because I'd hate to support
that 'industry', but if you don't have the cash and you need it.. well..
someone else is just gonna buy it anyway.

That probably didn't help.. but I felt like a braindump. Oh, are you
SURE it's stolen? The person selling might have just lost the rest of
the kit? (How's that for justification..)

hippy

Old June 9th 04, 12:35 AM
Terry Collins

TKB wrote:

in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery, no
charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.

It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it to me
in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

You could make a better light for the same price.

one SLA battery,
one Mr11/16 halgen downlight
one old spoke bent into holder (aka Moz's pages
one bolt, washer and screw
touch of black paint on back of globe
bit of figure 8 wire ~ 2m.
optional switch

and a matching SLA auto charger from jaycar (that over the $50).
Old June 9th 04, 02:30 AM
Roadie_scum

TKB wrote:
in cash converters, there's an older style vistalight duo and battery,
no charger, and no brackets to hold the light's.
It's got to be stolen but it's only $50, anyone want to rationalise it
to me in such a way that I don't feel guilty buying it!

Buy it, and leave notices up saying you did so. That way, if it i
someone else's, they can get in contact and together you can nail cas
converters to the wall for handling stolen goods (which seems to be th
main way they derive profit). Otherwise someone else will buy it, and i
will never be seen again by the true owner. Think about it... they hav
a better chance of recovering if you buy it, and they probably won'
bother, in which case you get a cheap light. Everyone wins, buy it
don't beat yourself up

-