newbie kid bent question

Old July 12th 03, 02:00 PM
Joshua Goldberg

Default newbie kid bent question

As someone who has never liked BikeEs before they went glug I would have to
say that getting your child a BikeE as her 1st bent is a really good idea.
The Quetzal Inca is NOT a true recumbent and if you have the opportunity now
to make your kid bent...do it.
*****************************
"cori_rivers" wrote in message
I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I've got another
question. I'm thinking about a bike for my 9yo daughter. I saw the
Quetzal Inca on ebay for $230 new, but noticed some BikeE's for not much
more. Can you adjust a BikeE to a short rider? It seems like the BikeE
is higher quality. I know the company went under, but if the bike'll
work why not. Any thoughts? I'm not a recumbent rider - we've been
tandeming on a Bike Friday, but child #2 wants to tandem & I though #1
should move on to her own bike. A recumbent should be cool enough so
she'll still be into it.

Old July 12th 03, 04:45 PM
Denny Voorhees

The Standard BikeE will adjust for a 4'9 to 6'1' rider as I recall from
thier advertising. One Cavet however is it is higher off the ground than say
an EZ-1, so it maybe a bit of a stretch for a 9 year old. I would still have
my BikeE if my wife had longer legs, she just couldn't reach the ground.
Mine was an XL so maybe it was a bit taller than a standard. If you can find
one for her to try I would suggest it. BikeE owners are usually eager to
give out first rides, they are so easy to adjust. IMO it is an Ideal bike
for a kid. It's cool looking, simple, and will adjust to fit the kid for
many years. The Quality of the later ones in my opinion is not as good as
the pre-2000 models ( I liked the aircraft rivets better), but others may
disagree.
Denny in Sayre, Pa
"Bent but not Broken
www.recumbentstuff.com

Old July 14th 03, 10:40 PM
randy

I got a BikeE for my son when he was 10yo. The bike will definely adjust
to handle a small person. However when the seat is adusted that far
forward the steering gets a little twitchy. So be a little extra cafeful
on the first few rides until she gets a feel for the bike.

The recalls that put BikeE into bankruptcy were due to the fork cracking
and the seat frame cracking on the newer, taller seats. I figured that
wouldn't be a problem for a 90lb kid, but might be for a 200lb adult.