Mechanical breakdown and walk home

Old July 3rd 03, 05:26 PM
j browe

Default Mechanical breakdown and walk home

Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
yards from my house.
Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
conditions have you had to walk back? jb
Old July 3rd 03, 05:45 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"j browe" wrote in messagecom...
Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
conditions have you had to walk back? jb

That's because you have one of those contraptions, the
only person who could possibly help you would have to
be driving a flat deck truck with a hiab crane.

Old July 3rd 03, 06:56 PM
speedracer

I've had 2 times where I couldn't fix the bike and had to trek it
home. The first time I blew a tire and had to walk the bike home
about 8 miles.

The second time, the tiller linkage (or whatever the rod that ties the
handlebars to the front wheel is called) bolt broke and caused me to
wreck. I was about 4 miles from home that time. This one was very
frustrating because I couldn't roll the bike gripping the handlebars
since the front wheel would spin like crazy. I had to carry the bike
(around 35 pounds) until I found an old metal coathanger on the road. I
tied the linkage to the wheel and was able to roll the bike the rest of
the way home.

So, I feel your pain

Dennis

Old July 3rd 03, 07:59 PM
Cletus D. Lee

In article , mriguy66
@yahoo.com says...
Today I broke a chain and realized the chain tool was in the pack of
my other bike at home. I was only 4 miles from home but it was all
uphill so I couldnt coast at all. This is the second time I have had
to trek it home in the middle of the Phoenix heat due to a mechanical
failure that I could not fix on the spot. (you'd think i'd learn)
The sad part was no one offered to help me until I got to about 200
yards from my house.
Which brings up this question to all- how far and under what
conditions have you had to walk back? jb

One. I once dropped into a crack in the pavement popped a front wheel
and trashed my fork. My most essential tool is the cell-phone. Don't
leave home without it.

On my one time (7 miles from home), I called a Yellow Cab.

BTW I have the Pheonix heat and the Gulf Coast Humidity. I plan not to
have to walk ever.

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Old July 3rd 03, 10:07 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:45:02 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
wrote:

That's because you have one of those contraptions, the
only person who could possibly help you would have to
be driving a flat deck truck with a hiab crane.

Hey, everyone! Flabs rides a *Brompton*!

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
Advance notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP.
Obviously there will be a week of downtime between the engineer
removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to
the new ISP.