Volae Team Tire Fits

Old July 22nd 03, 09:28 PM
Dan Kluckhuhn

Default Volae Team Tire Fits

I've got a Strada with 650 wheels. I had a pair of Fortezza's on it and in
only 500 miles destroyed one with road debris and the other has a small
puncture in the tire from a piece of gravel. I won't be buying any more of
them. I bought a pair of Terry Tellus 650x28 tires and rode 'em a couple
times. They seem durable, more cushy than the Fortezza's and seem just as
fast. They definitely have more rubber on the road than the Fortezza's. I
plan on using them if I take any long trips or go somewhere with unknown
roads. I've used Conti Grand Prix wire bead tires on my lowracer for a
couple thousand miles and have had no problems with them. I don't understand
why 650x23 Stelvios wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry
tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm wide.
Dan Kluckhuhn

"Rick Moll" wrote in message
I finally got my new Volae Team. I love the bike
-- haven't had a chance to ride it a whole lot;
but I was immediately impressed by how easy it is
to get started and stopped. I find it more comfortable
in start and stop riding than my V-Rex, I suspect
because the high center of gravity makes it easier to
balance, and also that they just did a great job with
the design to get the low speed handing right.

So I love riding it but I'm now looking for some
different tires before I take it out of town on a
cycling vacation.

For some reason Hostel Shoppe specs Conti GP Supersonics
on the Team, which aren't intended for the rigors of day
to day riding. My impression is that I'll be lucking to
get 1000 miles of life out of them.

The Team is also speced with a True Temper Alpha Q Pro
front fork, which looks like a great fork, but it doesn't
allow for a lot of tire clearance. According to the
Hostel Shoppe not all 650C x 23 (23-571) tires will fit
the fork. In particular the Schwalbe Stelvio, and a
Michelin tire they tried would not clear.

The tires they say will work include:

Conti GP Supersonic 23-571 Folding 145psi 145g
Conti Ultra Gatorskin 23-571 Wire 145psi 250g
Terry tellus ST 28-571 Wire 100psi 340g

As I said I'm looking for something more durable than
the Supersonic, and I'd like something lighter weight
and lower rolling resistance than the other two. Both
the Conti GP 3000, and the Vredestein Fortezza look
interesting:

Conti GP 3000 23-571 Folding 120psi 195g
Vredestein Fortezza 23-571

I'd be curious to hear from others whether they have
tried fitting either of these, or any other light
weight 23-571 tires to their Volae Teams.

Thanks,

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Old July 23rd 03, 04:19 PM
Rick Moll

Dan Kluckhuhn wrote:
... I don't understand
why 650x23 Stelvios wont fit and the Terry Tellus 650x28 do. The Terry
tires, BTW, measure a little less than 27mm wide.

I don't think the fit concerns with the Alpha Q Pro
fork are just width, but also with outer diameter.
I think the Stelvio and the one Michelin tire they
tried may have been too big around to fit. From
what I understand some of the Michelin tires can have
a very high profile -- almost angular.

Thanks for tire recommendations/observations,

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Old July 23rd 03, 04:35 PM
Rick Moll

Dave Harney wrote:
... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are
none for the 650)...

If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider
the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I understand
it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.

Sheldon Brown has comments about it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html#571

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

Old July 23rd 03, 10:45 PM
Dave Harney

I really don't want the Terry tire (too wide and not the same quality as the
Gatorskin). What I'd really like is 25c Gatorskin - until that is
available, the 23c is fine.

Old July 23rd 03, 10:45 PM
Dave Harney

"Rick Moll" wrote in message
Dave Harney wrote:
... Although I wanted a 25c tire (of which there are
none for the 650)...

If you want a wider tire, you might want to consider
the Terry tellus ST 650x28c. From what I understand
it actually measures around 26-27mm wide.

Sheldon Brown has comments about it:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html#571

Rick Moll
RANS V-Rex
Volae Team

History Lesson #63 for July newbies Ronde Champ Racing 0 July 16th 04 11:27 PM
DIY Tire Removal 2 g.daniels Techniques 4 May 21st 04 05:25 PM
DIY Tire Remval 2 g.daniels Techniques 1 May 17th 04 10:26 PM
If Microsoft sponsored a cycling team: Tony Racing 17 September 25th 03 09:27 AM
Volae Team, Bacchetta Aero, Lightning p38 Alex Recumbent Biking 8 July 11th 03 12:15 AM