RIP Sheldon Brown

Old February 4th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

Default RIP Sheldon Brown

RIP Sheldon!

I read most of his extensive website and used it with much benefit in
several areas, notably wheel building, crank failure, geared hubs,
brake setup, and fixed gear bicycles. I did talk to him once on the
phone about geared unicycle hubs a few years back.

Thanks for your contributions Sheldon!

--
U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 4th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

mscalisi wrote:
Also, I believe he has posted on this forum on occasion.

Yup, even 'replied to one of my posts' (http://tinyurl.com/3ar8n4).
I'll have to print that one out and frame it.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 4th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muzzle

Very sad news, great man overall, My condolences to everyone who knew
him well. I was at his site a few days ago reading about fixed gear
bikes. What a usefull site too!

--
muzzle

my videos: 'muzzle!videos' (http://www.muzzle.co.nr/unicycle/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 4th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

A sad loss for cycling. If you don't know who he was, do a Google,
or look he

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

--
Mikefule

One day, I will ride my unicycle again.
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 4th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I think that I have sent more people to Sheldon Brown's site for
maintenance and wheel building advice than any other site, and have
used many of his articles myself countless times.

He was a great contributer of knowledge and humor in the cycling
community.

He will be missed.

RIP Sheldon

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 5th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

He was the man that taught me how to true my wheel. He also taught me a
lot of other valuables lessons, about tyres, materials and interesting
things like that. He had a knack for explanations and a great love for
what he did. I shall miss him greatly.

RIP Sheldon Brown.

Bicycle god is dead

--
ivan

Just because you are not suffering from paranoia doesn't mean that they
are not spying on you.entropy isn't what it used to be.
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 5th 08, 09:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I never met him, and can't really pretend that I did. I have no sadness,
like his real friends feel.

It is so very cool that his writings helped so many wheels. I am
grateful for his works, and I hope they become a permanent part of the
internet.

A very helpful man, even if you didn't know him. We need more people
to be like he was.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 5th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobbling bear

john_childs wrote:
Yup, even 'replied to one of my posts' (http://tinyurl.com/3ar8n4).
I'll have to print that one out and frame it.

same for me! wow: He must have been patient to answer so many mails on
the same topics! thanks Sheldon!

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 5th 08, 12:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mattsmith

My bicycling days wouldn't have been the same without him. If ever there
was a man who knew it all and was eager to share it, it was Sheldon.
His guides to all things cycling were an invaluable resource. I can't
claim the sadness in the loss of a friend, but my heart stopped a
moment when I read of his death. To have had such an impact on a total
stranger is surely a sign of a great man.

--
mattsmith

Call out Gouranga and be happy!
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 5th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Terribly sad news and a really great loss to the cycling world. I never
met Sheldon and yet I felt connected to him through his wonderful
website. He's released so many interesting, fascinating, useful guides
to so many cycling topics - I've spent a lot of enjoyable time reading
his site. I was just the other day having fun reading about 'fixed
gear conversions' (http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html).

Last year, Sheldon was 'diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis'
(http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html). It doesn't sound like
this was connected with his death. But his MS primarily affected his
legs and had long since made it impossible for him to ride a bicycle,
which must have been incredibly difficult for him to come to terms
with. Even then, he was still able to go out and keep up the cycling
on his trike. He even wrote a whole page on 'the bright side of MS'
(http://sheldonbrown.org/ms.html) - that he could look on the bright
side of such a debilitating condition shows what an incredible,
positive person he was.

I never knew him but I could see what a wonderful person he was - one
of the modern cycling world's heroes. His memory will live on in the
people he's encouraged, cheered and taught. Rest In Peace, Sheldon.

I think we can do a small part to honour his memory by spreading
knowledge of his site to budding bicycle mechanics and enthusiasts - I
think that's how he'd want to be remembered.

--
mark williamson
http://www.usenet.com

Sheldon Brown RIP Chuck Anderson Rides 5 February 12th 08 03:40 PM
RIP Sheldon Brown James Scott Techniques 46 February 6th 08 10:54 PM
Sheldon Brown Kenny General 40 November 14th 06 03:28 AM
Sheldon Brown Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 January 7th 04 10:00 AM
Sheldon Brown Simonb UK 16 October 3rd 03 12:02 PM