home made tire anyone?

Old December 1st 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

Default home made tire anyone?

it seems like if you peel the tire away at the seams and use a little
rubber material to cover it and do a 1/2 decent job it will work fine.
and if you welded the joint in the bead it would probably work, even if
it ruined a small section of tyre... you would have to rebuild that
anyways.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old December 1st 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I e-mailed Ben about the tire. Maybe I should have asked more specific
questions, I asked him if it was two tires joined together and how he
did it. This was his response.

Ben Wilson wrote:
YES THATS RIGHT I TOOK 2 TYRES AND TOOK OUT THE BEED AND THEN GLUED
THEM ON TO A HARD RIM

I HOPE THIS HELPS

KIND REGARDS

BEN

so now I am not sure if it is pneumatic or not.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 1st 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

it sounds like it might even be tubeless
he took the bead off and glued the edges to the rim...
hmmmmmm

Old December 2nd 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

looks like he is riding a solid tire, seems to me like there would be
much better sources of rubber than cutting up a couple expensive tires.

Ben Wilson wrote:
YES HARD TYRE SOLID RIM SUSPENSION SADDLE

GLAD YOU LIKE IT LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOURS ONCE ITS FINISHED

KIND REGARDS

BEN

On 1 Dec 2008, at 21:39, eric pulvermacher wrote:

So It is a hard tire then, no inner-tube or anything?

That is a supper cool wheel either way.

ERIC

It is pretty warm today and it finally stopped raining so I am going to
find a park and try building my test tire today.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 2nd 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Could you potentially make a folding tire instead of a wire bead tire?
That way you could still have a pneumatic but you wouldn't need such a
hard bead?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 2nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

folding tire is the plan. Using multiple loops of braided fishing line
for the bead.

ooooh the sun just came out, time to find a park bench and get to
work.

I will tell you all how the test tire came out tonight.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 2nd 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

A simpler route would be to just buy a 36 inch tire and cut a few inches
out and reattach...

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

Inventor of the Slapflip.

BillyTheMountain for President 2012
Old December 2nd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Got a question: what overall tire diameter are you shooting for?

The 36" tires actually are 36" OD when inflated. Do you think you'll
wind up with a 32", or some other OD?

--
unisk8r
Old December 3rd 08, 12:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Made the test (26") tire today. It took a lot longer to make than I
thought it would, especially to make the bead. It was also really hard
to work with light material outside in the wind...

I didn't do any precise measurements when building it and just put it
all together as strait as I could with cold fingers while everything was
flapping in the wind. Maybe I should get an apartment, it would have
been a lot easier indoors.

anyway I got the tire built up and it looks as good as I could have
hopped. It has a perfectly round profile (I was concerned that it would
be flat and wide) and everything seems to hold together just fine.

I pumped it up to 40 PSI and went for a ride. Feels like a lightweight
slightly lumpy high pressure tire. I will put the unicycle seat back on
and lower the pressure tomorrow to see how it handles with less air and
how well it stands up to some hopping.

It is WAY lighter than my Gazz with downhill tube setup, I will
eventually sneak in to a grocery store and stick it on a produce scale
to see how much it weighs. It's width is 2 3/8" ± 3/8" on a 46mm
rim.

peleschramm;1141728 wrote:
A simpler route would be to just buy a 36 inch tire and cut a few inches
out and reattach...

But the question is how do you make it seamless and strong and what do
you do with the bead.

unisk8r;1141729 wrote:
Got a question: what overall tire diameter are you shooting for?

The 36" tires actually are 36" OD when inflated. Do you think you'll
wind up with a 32", or some other OD?

It will probably end up being between 31.5 and 32".

I have a 36" Nimbus SE rim that got knocked out of round and has a big
crack at the third spoke hole from the seam. I am planning on cutting
the rim to remove a section with 4 spoke holes including the cracked one
and re-pin it. I am going to try to slowly bend the rim into a slightly
tighter loop with a car jack and 2x4 rig so the ends mostly line up
before pinning. I am waiting for KOXX to release their 32h hub before I
start this project, and a place to work would help too.

I decided to try building a tire first to see if it was doable before
tackling something like re-shaping a rim. I think I am going to aim for
2" wide tire when I build one for the 32 (31.5).

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 3rd 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joshben

saskatchewanian;1141927 wrote:
Maybe I should get an apartment, it would have been a lot easier
indoors.

not that it's any of my business at all, but where do you live? i mean,
i know, somewhere in saskatchewan, but i hope you have a dorm room or
something.

--
joshben

home made bc wheel primus Unicycling 3 January 31st 08 11:04 PM
home-made tires Gary Young Techniques 45 April 4th 07 07:19 AM
Home-made tire boot? [email protected] Techniques 32 February 4th 06 07:41 PM
Home-made BC Spudman Unicycling 8 September 7th 05 01:55 PM
home made uni booger1 Unicycling 0 July 11th 03 04:09 AM