ANOTHER Criminal Mountain Biker!

Old January 28th 10, 08:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default ANOTHER Criminal Mountain Biker!

On Jan 22, 1:22*pm, VtSkier wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message
Mike Vandeman wrote:

[...]
What a hypocrite! You want prople to be "polite
and gentlemanly" toward you, but you obviously don't feel the need to
be "polite
and gentlemanly" yourself. Mountain bikers are like that....
Note to Ed Dolan,
See how your 'buddy' comes across?
Do you think this will convince anyone of
the merits of his arguments? Really?
Nobody accepts being spoken to in this
manner, including me.

You have to learn to not be offended by style and go to the nitty gritty of
the argument. After all, this is Usenet!

And Mike,
The TRUTH is that you still come across as
a wild-eyed screaming asshole. All efforts
of people telling you so are as much 'truth'
as anything you are saying. Your attitude
and delivery make anything you say
unacceptable regardless of what you
actually know, and Ed Dolan says you know
a lot. Maybe, but you fail to speak in a
way than will convince anyone. You've
been speaking (writing) to people on usenet
in this manner since I've been aware of you.
Don't ask us to change, the need for change
is yours.

MV has all the facts and all the science on his side. Like I said before, I
am not a purist like him. *There are literally hundreds of thousand of miles
of fireroads that can be ridden by mountain bikers. There is never any
reason for them to be on hiking trails.

I've replied to him about this. BTW, he doesn't
anywhere that I've seen, say that it's OK to
ride fire roads and other prepared surface, only
that all mountain bikes and their riders are BAD.

MV is a true hero of our times. He has been threatened repeatedly by
mountain bikers and I believe even assaulted once or twice. You seem like a
reasonable person. Why not come over to the good side.

A true hero is capable of leading. Mike, as far as
I've seen in only capable of trying to bully. The
reaction he gets is the typical reaction to an
attempted bully.

I despair of everything. The entire world is eventually going to look like
the Middle East, where man has been resident for thousands of years. Nothing
but desolation there. Is that what you want?

Agriculture is the culprit. Modern humans have been
around for on the order of 130 thousand years.
Agriculture has only been around for 10 thousand
years, and highly organized agriculture for half
of that. We didn't **** things up when we had to
compete with the rest of creation for our breakfast,
we only did that after we learned to produce
and horde.

I won't see the rest of the world become like the
Middle East. We have been warming up this planet for
quite a while. Desertification has been taking place
for a long time. There is the old story about the
Sahara Forest. It's a tall tale, but if one looks
carefully, there is a shred of truth.

By the way, mountain biking is not much of a
contributor to Global Warming, but I also note that
MV is waging his war against highway expansion and
so against spread of automobiles and for/toward
mass transit. A good thing.

MV is fighting the good fight. I do not have the heart for it because I know
everything is going to end badly. Mankind procreates like rabbits, lives
like pigs and dies like flies. Mother Earth will eventually get rid of us,
the most horrible species which has ever existed on this planet.

Good for Mike. I think his efforts against highways and
automobiles are a lot more on target than his efforts
against mountain biking. I think that most, if not all
MBers could be convinced to be less damaging in their
approach to the earth. I think most of them really do
care,

Total BS.

and because they care, they really hate it when
someone comes along and screams at them that they don't
care. The approach, if it were me, would be to offer
choices, "This is what you want to do, if you do it
'this' way you will cause damage, if you do it 'that'
way, you won't cause damage,

I did that: I said that bikes should be restricted to pavement.
Mountain bikers are too selfish to do that, although "roadies" have no
problem with it whatsoever! Are mountain bikers a different species?
Do they have "special needs" that other humans don't have? I don't
think so.

if you do it 'the other
way' you will cause damage, but it will be damage that
will get repaired in the normal scheme of things."
This is a better approach than, "No matter what you do,
it's all wrong and you have to give up something you
really like to do to make it OK." Isn't is?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -