Test using Google Earth to display Mountain Bike trail

Old December 5th 05, 04:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Test using Google Earth to display Mountain Bike trail

Just trying to elicit some comments on using Google Earth to map Mountain
Bike trails. Here's a link to a test that I created.

http://www.tccycling.com//maps/peavi...e_pea_test.htm

Follow the directions on the page. The tour is still a little rough but
should be easily correctable.

Thanks,
Pete Rissler

Old December 5th 05, 05:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Pete Rissler wrote:
Just trying to elicit some comments on using Google Earth to map Mountain
Bike trails. Here's a link to a test that I created.

http://www.tccycling.com//maps/peavi...e_pea_test.htm

Follow the directions on the page. The tour is still a little rough but
should be easily correctable.

Thanks,
Pete Rissler

W O W ... that's a bitch'n program. Are those real satellite photos?
_____
Slack
Old December 5th 05, 07:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Slack" wrote in message
Pete Rissler wrote:
Just trying to elicit some comments on using Google Earth to map Mountain
Bike trails. Here's a link to a test that I created.

http://www.tccycling.com//maps/peavi...e_pea_test.htm

Follow the directions on the page. The tour is still a little rough but
should be easily correctable.

Thanks,
Pete Rissler

W O W ... that's a bitch'n program. Are those real satellite photos?
_____
Slack

Satellite would never have the resolution to show trails. Any trails
visible are from aerial photos.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old December 5th 05, 11:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Pete Rissler wrote:
Just trying to elicit some comments on using Google Earth to map Mountain
Bike trails. Here's a link to a test that I created.

http://www.tccycling.com//maps/peavi...e_pea_test.htm

Follow the directions on the page. The tour is still a little rough but
should be easily correctable.

Thanks,
Pete Rissler

Nice job.

Do you have a gps system, 'cos if you do and for $20 a year you can
download your gps routes into Google Earth. I track mine mainly because
there's no high res coverage of Trinidad and Tobago and you can't buy
trail maps. I should be able to create a pretty comprehensive trail map
by the end of next year.

Laters,

Marcus

Old December 5th 05, 02:23 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Marz wrote:
Do you have a gps system, 'cos if you do and for $20 a year you can
download your gps routes into Google Earth. I track mine mainly
because there's no high res coverage of Trinidad and Tobago and you
can't buy trail maps. I should be able to create a pretty
comprehensive trail map by the end of next year.

Laters,

Marcus

you mean, google earth PRO, right?

Can you get terra server coverage of where you live? My understanding is
that the terra server pics have much better resolution than the sattelite
stuff that you get via GE.

Penny

Old December 5th 05, 05:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

If you're not getting a 3D image make sure Terrain is checked in either the
Layers Window or under the View Window.

Pete

Old December 5th 05, 05:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:GHRkf.27114$ih5.7802@dukeread11...

"Slack" wrote in message
Pete Rissler wrote:
Just trying to elicit some comments on using Google Earth to map
Mountain Bike trails. Here's a link to a test that I created.

http://www.tccycling.com//maps/peavi...e_pea_test.htm

Follow the directions on the page. The tour is still a little rough but
should be easily correctable.

Thanks,
Pete Rissler

W O W ... that's a bitch'n program. Are those real satellite photos?
_____
Slack

Satellite would never have the resolution to show trails. Any trails
visible are from aerial photos.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Space Imaging sells Satellite Photos that rival some aerial photos.

http://www.spaceimaging.com/

Old December 5th 05, 05:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Marz" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pete Rissler wrote:
Just trying to elicit some comments on using Google Earth to map Mountain
Bike trails. Here's a link to a test that I created.

http://www.tccycling.com//maps/peavi...e_pea_test.htm

Follow the directions on the page. The tour is still a little rough but
should be easily correctable.

Thanks,
Pete Rissler

Nice job.

Do you have a gps system, 'cos if you do and for $20 a year you can
download your gps routes into Google Earth. I track mine mainly because
there's no high res coverage of Trinidad and Tobago and you can't buy
trail maps. I should be able to create a pretty comprehensive trail map
by the end of next year.

Laters,

Marcus

GPS Trackmaker will allow you to convert your GPS tracks and waypoints to
Google Earth kml files, best of all it's free.
http://www.gpstm.com/
No need to pay for Google Plus.

Old December 5th 05, 05:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"small change" wrote in message
Marz wrote:
Do you have a gps system, 'cos if you do and for $20 a year you can
download your gps routes into Google Earth. I track mine mainly
because there's no high res coverage of Trinidad and Tobago and you
can't buy trail maps. I should be able to create a pretty
comprehensive trail map by the end of next year.

Laters,

Marcus

you mean, google earth PRO, right?

Can you get terra server coverage of where you live? My understanding is
that the terra server pics have much better resolution than the sattelite
stuff that you get via GE.

Penny

The Google Earth stuff that is around Reno, NV is Color Aerials (that the
county flew) they are about the same resolution as the Terra Server Black
and Whites. Outside the Metropolitan areas, most of Nevada on Google Earth
are color satellite images which have much less resolution than the black
and whites. I do have access to all the available USGS aerial (DOQQ) photos
of Nevada at work. These are the same Black and Whites that are on Terra
Server. Next year Nevada will be flown and color aerials will be taken of
the entire State as part of the US Dept of Ag's NAIP program. This will be
the same resolution as the USGS Black and White aerials but in color. The
final product should be out in 2007. Hopefully these will show up in Google
Maps. California was flow this year so products should be out next year.

http://www.apfo.usda.gov/NAIP.html