Joining the ranks of the 36" unicycle crowd.

Old February 1st 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Default Joining the ranks of the 36" unicycle crowd.

I'm a 29" unicycle advocate.

I love my 29" unicycle. If someone told me that I'd consider purchasing
a 36" unicycle, I'd say they where crazy.

As I near the 500+ Kilometer mark I realize I can't use a 29" for Ride
The Lobster race. The 29" gives up too much speed and distance in
comparison to 36".

It looks like the new unicycle will be a Nimbus 36" with the newly
released Nightrider tire.

I'll re-use my KH Fusion Freeride seat and T7 bar from my 29" (Can only
ride one unicycle at a time.). Don't feel the need to order the Version
2 T7 bar since the first version works well for me now. I've had no T7
bar malfunctions, or UPD caused from the T7.

To be honest I'd never purchase a 36" if it wasn't for Ride The
Lobster.

Well now I'll find out what the mystic is about a 36" unicycle.

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuck norris

man. i would so snatch up a coker if i had the money. Perro, all my
dinero es going to my band.... soo.... yeah

--
chuck norris
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 03:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Hey Todd, sort of thought that you were going to GUni your current 29er.

A good 36er feels soooo smoooth, your are going to have fun

ERIC

Edit: Make sure to go for an aluminum rim, the difference switching
from the Coker to 29er tube was noticeable for me, I think that a steel
rim would make it feel like a tank compared to lighter rimed 36ers.

--
saskatchewanian
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

A 36" is worth every drop of... big...ness you'll ever have to deal
with. You can actually do some semi-serious stuff on a 36", whereas, on
a 29, well... Even for hills, a 36" with 125 cranks will kick some
serious butt compared to any smaller (ungeared!) uni.

Proper disclosu This author owns a 36" unicycle, and has never
purchased, nor will ever purchase, a 29" unicycle for exclusive road
use. ;-) Heheheh.

--
chuckaeronut

Cycling: It doesn't get easier; you just get faster.
Unicycling: It doesn't get easier; you just do tougher stuff.
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Why the Nimbus instead of one of the new Cokers? Isn't the big one quite
a bit cheaper ?

I have a plain Radial 360. I would be really pulling out hairs if I was
going to buy a new 36 now. So many new options, so few road reports.

If I was a good 36 muni rider, or it was hillier here , I might be
tempted to upgrade to one of these lighter, stronger rigs. But here on
flat island, the old Radial is going strong. I added lights and an air
seat. Next I want to come up with an easy way to carry more junk. Like
maybe a saddle bag that would hug a rear fender.

I think you will like your 36. One of the best features is you can see
a lot more, being 7 feet tall.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim

feel the light wrote:
Why the Nimbus instead of one of the new Cokers? Isn't the big one quite
a bit cheaper ?

The Coker octopus is $569 and the Nimbus 36" was $515 (now out of
stock) both without T7 handle or brakes. So it looks like the Nimbus
is cheaper.

jim

--
Jim
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

feel the light wrote:

I have a plain Radial 360. I would be really pulling out hairs if I was
going to buy a new 36 now. So many new options, so few road reports.

My guess is that the Nimbus can't fail to be a reasonable choice; ditto
for the new Nightrider tyre. Aside from my own positive experiences
with Nimbus kit (though my 36er is a mish mash of various different
manufacturers), Roger Davies is one of *the* 36er riders and he designs
their stuff - so it ought to be good if it's good enough for him

Of course, Coker invented the pneumatic 36er so they ought to be good
too. And they've done an impressive job of modernising the Big One.

It's really exciting to be in 36ering at this time... When I bought
mine only a couple of years ago, the choices were between the standard
Big One, the old Qu-Ax 36" and the Radial. All of these came with the
steel rim by default, all with plain frames with stamped bearing
holders, nothing came with brake mounts. The standard pedals on the
coker were actually cheap plastics, if I recall correctly!

Now we've got a massive choice of frames of different weights / designs
/ materials, alloy rims galore - and often as standard instead of an
expensive upgrade - a third tyre choice which looks better suited to
36er muni, the T7 handlebar with the T7v2 on the way, Coker suggesting
they'll add a new tyre and handlebar of their own... Wow!

Previously I would have been worried that 36ers would stagnate or die
out, being such a niche product compared to the scales of the worldwide
bike industry. But instead of that they're actually growing and
accelerating! This is so cool

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 1st 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

chuckaeronut wrote:
A 36" is worth every drop of... big...ness you'll ever have to deal
with. You can actually do some semi-serious stuff on a 36", whereas, on
a 29, well... Even for hills, a 36" with 125 cranks will kick some
serious butt compared to any smaller (ungeared!) uni.

The last two times I've ridden up Mount Diablo on my 29er with a bunch
of Cokers, I came in at least 5 minutes ahead of all the Cokers. (The
second time was on a geared 29er, but it was in geared mode for only
about 5% of the ride). A 29er is simply a better climbing machine than
a Coker due to weight considerations.

However, I agree that an ungeared 29er is not feasible for RTL. Too
much distance and not enough climbing.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com

"Ride The Lobster" 800km international Unicycle Race RideTheLobster Unicycling 0 June 12th 06 06:21 PM
Another one joins the ranks POHB UK 3 May 22nd 06 02:45 PM
I joined the ranks of the infamous elite GeeDubb Mountain Biking 24 December 23rd 05 04:19 PM
Doing a Demo for a crowd (peeps in the crowd are NOT uni'rs) Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 16 July 6th 05 12:49 AM