A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 25th 19, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,496
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891
Ads
  #2  
Old March 25th 19, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On 25/03/2019 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891

I thought drivers were supposed to be trained and tested on keeping
within the speed limit and the purpose of the middle pedal.
  #3  
Old March 25th 19, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,326
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On Monday, March 25, 2019 at 3:32:31 PM UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891


The best comment on the website

"The problem with this article is referring to them as cyclist.
I see a couple of feral kids on bikes and in a few years they will be driving around in stolen Audi A3s"


  #4  
Old March 27th 19, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 125
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On 25/03/2019 17:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/03/2019 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891

I thought drivers were supposed to be trained and tested on keeping
within the speed limit and the purpose of the middle pedal.


Middle pedal, middle.... nah doesn't compute, what is this 'MIDDLE pedal
that you speak of?

  #5  
Old March 27th 19, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,496
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On 27/03/2019 16:58, soup wrote:
On 25/03/2019 17:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/03/2019 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891

I thought drivers were supposed to be trained and tested on keeping
within the speed limit and the purpose of the middle pedal.


Middle pedal, middle.... nah doesn't compute, what is this 'MIDDLE pedal
that you speak of?

Left hand pedal is the same thing
  #6  
Old March 27th 19, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,326
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at 4:58:08 PM UTC, soup wrote:
On 25/03/2019 17:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/03/2019 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891

I thought drivers were supposed to be trained and tested on keeping
within the speed limit and the purpose of the middle pedal.


Middle pedal, middle.... nah doesn't compute, what is this 'MIDDLE pedal
that you speak of?


Out dated cars have this ridiculous thing called a clutch. In the dark ages drivers would have to start their cars with a crank handle, manually advance the ignition timing and (if you can believe it) manually change gears, I know it sounds crazy in this day and age but it's true.

  #7  
Old March 27th 19, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,699
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On 27/03/2019 16:58, soup wrote:
On 25/03/2019 17:15, TMS320 wrote:
On 25/03/2019 15:32, MrCheerful wrote:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ulton-16021891

I thought drivers were supposed to be trained and tested on keeping
within the speed limit and the purpose of the middle pedal.


Middle pedal, middle.... nah doesn't compute, what is this 'MIDDLE pedal
that you speak of?


Don't worry, it's a curious European tradition.

  #8  
Old March 28th 19, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,145
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 13:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

Out dated cars have this ridiculous thing called a clutch. In the
dark ages drivers would have to start their cars with a crank handle,
manually advance the ignition timing and (if you can believe it)
manually change gears, I know it sounds crazy in this day and age but
it's true.

I've only ever driven manual cars with the exception of one automatic
that also had hand controls - I found the hand controls easier to use
than the pedals because my left foot kept trying to use the brake as a
clutch. I expect I could unlearn this behaviour given time, if I had
to, but in the meantime it's actually easier for me to handle the gears
and clutch myself.

  #9  
Old March 28th 19, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,496
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On 28/03/2019 17:30, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 13:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

Out dated cars have this ridiculous thing called a clutch. In the
dark ages drivers would have to start their cars with a crank handle,
manually advance the ignition timing and (if you can believe it)
manually change gears, I know it sounds crazy in this day and age but
it's true.

I've only ever driven manual cars with the exception of one automatic
that also had hand controls - I found the hand controls easier to use
than the pedals because my left foot kept trying to use the brake as a
clutch. I expect I could unlearn this behaviour given time, if I had
to, but in the meantime it's actually easier for me to handle the gears
and clutch myself.


I drive both auto and manual almost every day and it becomes second
nature to use the correct feet/pedal. Driving auto often needs you to
use left foot braking when parking/manouevering. In city/congested
traffic, driving an auto allows you to concentrate on the road a little
more and reduces effort a lot in stop/start traffic.
  #10  
Old March 28th 19, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,072
Default Pavement cyclist causes crasj and scarpers.

On 28/03/2019 17:51, MrCheerful wrote:
On 28/03/2019 17:30, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 13:46:33 -0700 (PDT)
Simon Jester wrote:

Out dated cars have this ridiculous thing called a clutch. In the
dark ages drivers would have to start their cars with a crank handle,
manually advance the ignition timing and (if you can believe it)
manually change gears, I know it sounds crazy in this day and age but
it's true.

I've only ever driven manual cars with the exception of one automatic
that also had hand controls - I found the hand controls easier to use
than the pedals because my left foot kept trying to use the brake as a
clutch.* I expect I could unlearn this behaviour given time, if I had
to, but in the meantime it's actually easier for me to handle the gears
and clutch myself.


I drive both auto and manual almost every day and it becomes second
nature to use the correct feet/pedal.* Driving auto often needs you to
use left foot braking when parking/manouevering.* In city/congested
traffic, driving an auto allows you to concentrate on the road a little
more and reduces effort a lot in stop/start traffic.

I agree with all of that.


--
Bod

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pavement cyclist crashes into guide dog, and scarpers. MrCheerful UK 1 July 25th 18 09:32 AM
Cyclist mows down 4 year old and scarpers Mrcheerful UK 38 January 29th 16 07:51 AM
Hull cyclist mows down OAP and scarpers Mrcheerful UK 4 October 22nd 14 09:33 AM
Cyclist causes a crash and scarpers Mrcheerful UK 11 November 7th 13 09:50 PM
Cyclist mows down another cyclist and scarpers Mrcheerful[_3_] UK 29 June 3rd 13 11:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.