Cyclist riding on a promenade gets her come-uppance

Old July 4th 19, 01:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Cyclist riding on a promenade gets her come-uppance

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 12:39:56 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 03/07/2019 17:37, MrCheerful wrote:
On 03/07/2019 17:12, JNugent wrote:
On 03/07/2019 15:58, Modesty wrote:

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

It might be easier to feel increased outrage on her behalf if one knew
whether or not cycling is allowed on that particular promenade.

I remember that the promenade from Seacombe to New Brighton (old
Borough of Wallasey, Cheshire, as was) was off limits to all vehicles,
including bicycles. This was mystifyingly so even though the
carriageway was and presumably still is about thirty feet wide with
wide footways on each side. We were never prosecuted for cycling the
only route we knew from the Seacombe Ferry to New Brighton, but we
felt the lash of the collective tongue of the Cheshire Constabulary on
more than one occasion.

Mind you, we were only kids.

There is 'No Cycling' writ large upon the ground.

That seems conclusive.

I bet you'll get some argument, though.

No, I am just asking for proof.
Google street view shows no such markings unless I have got the wrong place.
Unlikely since Google maps only returns one hit for Friars Cliff, Christchurch, Dorset.
Feel free to prove me wrong because if I am I, unlike you, will admit it rather than making off with the nearest goalposts.

Old July 4th 19, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 00:04:25 GMT, Simon Jester
wrote:

On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 12:39:23 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 03/07/2019 17:35, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 5:12:11 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

I remember that the promenade from Seacombe to New Brighton (old
Borough of Wallasey, Cheshire, as was) was off limits to all
vehicles, including bicycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-uhhBM67-I

???

Surely it is self evident. It shows the promenade you are talking
about with it's clearly marked No MOTOR vehicle signs and clearly
marked cycleway with bonus 'law abiding' motorists ignoring both.

Musta been an emergency delivery of tea.

Your(?) bike sounds a bit rattley.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old July 4th 19, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

If you don't know for sure, why did you assert that cycling is allowed
there (wherever it was)?

Google street view shows no such markings unless I have got the wrong place.
Unlikely since Google maps only returns one hit for Friars Cliff, Christchurch, Dorset.
Feel free to prove me wrong because if I am I, unlike you, will admit it rather than making off with the nearest goalposts.

I am content to let others do that research and provide the evidence
either way. What I will not so is claim that cycling on that promenade
either is or is not allowed unless and until there is supporting
evidence for one position or the other. Not everyone is so scrupulous,
of course.
Old July 4th 19, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

Promenade means walk.

In this particular case they even have 'No cycling' painted across
the width of the promenade. Probably the cyclist is a local and so
should be fully aware of the restriction.

Does that justify attempted murder?
Can I stand on a motorway bridge and drop bricks into the windscreens
of speeding motorists?

In every post that you make, you are getting more and more stupid.

Thanks greatly for the compliment.
Old July 4th 19, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

This one actually has a restriction. But it's up to the authorities to
enforce it, not up to vigilantes to attempt murder.
Old July 4th 19, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

Merely typing in the name of the Friar's Cliff prom. brings up a web
site for the place, the main picture shows one end of the prom.

Mind you, if it is Doug asking then he would say that I had created that
web page and photoshopped on the words, and dismiss it. Ah, I actually
do miss him.
Old July 4th 19, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

web page and photoshopped on the words, and dismiss it.Â* Ah, I actually
do miss him.

It does seem pretty conclusive:

https://www.visit-dorset.com/imageresizer/?image=%2fdmsimgs%2ffriars-cliff-beach-non-copyright_221732048.jpg&action=ProductDetail&crop= 4D037E16A6C32DD04191FF6E4EB1

Old July 4th 19, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

This one actually has a restriction. But it's up to the authorities to
enforce it, not up to vigilantes to attempt murder.

That is a euphemistic way of saying that whilst cycling is indeed not
allowed on that pedestrian way but cyclists disobey that rule (how
unusual!), they have a right to get away with it.

It's quite different when a driver (however wrongly and illegally)
passes a keep left bollard on the wrong side. In such a case it's
apparently perfectly permissible for a vigilante on a bike to obstruct
the road (an offence in itself) in order to "enforce" the rules.

Old July 4th 19, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

MrCheerful wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/02/cycli...rank-10104973/

What 'come-uppance' did this 63 year old lady deserve? Promenades
often have cycle lanes.

This one actually has a restriction. But it's up to the authorities to
enforce it, not up to vigilantes to attempt murder.

That is a euphemistic way of saying that whilst cycling is indeed not
allowed on that pedestrian way but cyclists disobey that rule (how
unusual!), they have a right to get away with it.

When drivers routinely get away with speeding and bad parking...

It's quite different when a driver (however wrongly and illegally)
passes a keep left bollard on the wrong side. In such a case it's
apparently perfectly permissible for a vigilante on a bike to obstruct
the road (an offence in itself) in order to "enforce" the rules.

What a completely stupid comparison. Stringing a rope across a path is
like dropping bricks onto a motorway.

If the vigilante blocks a cyclist with their own body, then you have a
reasonable equivalent.
Old July 4th 19, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/07/2019 01:00, Simon Jester wrote:
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 12:37:52 AM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 03/07/2019 17:25, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 5:12:11 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

It might be easier to feel increased outrage on her behalf if one knew
whether or not cycling is allowed on that particular promenade.

You have it the wrong way round. Pedal cycles can be ridden anywhere cycling is not prohibited.

Well, that's near enough, I suppose. Biy certainly not 100% accurate.

What does "Biy" mean in English

Rest of hypocrisy snipped.

Sorry for the typo. I am not a trained typist by any means.

But at least it gave you an excuse not to try to give an answer to the
(for you) unanswerable.