So what about his much-vaunted household contents insurance?

Old June 22nd 19, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default So what about his much-vaunted household contents insurance?

To say nothing of his fridge-freezer policy?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

QUOTE:
Hazeldean [the cyclist who ran down a pedestrian] ... said he was
“reeling” from a verdict that would leave him bankrupt. In a statement
he said: “I am of course deeply disappointed with the outcome … and
concerned by the precedent that it might set for other cyclists.
ENDQUOTE

But surely any court decision which reinforces and emphasises the need
for caution and restraint is good for society in general?

Old June 22nd 19, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 22/06/2019 01:00, JNugent wrote:
To say nothing of his fridge-freezer policy?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

QUOTE:
Hazeldean [the cyclist who ran down a pedestrian] ... said he was
“reeling” from a verdict that would leave him bankrupt. In a statement
he said: “I am of course deeply disappointed with the outcome … and
concerned by the precedent that it might set for other cyclists.
ENDQUOTE

But surely any court decision which reinforces and emphasises the need
for caution and restraint is good for society in general?

We are continually told that cyclists are, by definition, very rich, and
that all are insured, so he should have no problem paying some compo.
Old June 22nd 19, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/06/2019 08:45, MrCheerful wrote:
On 22/06/2019 01:00, JNugent wrote:
To say nothing of his fridge-freezer policy?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

QUOTE:
Hazeldean [the cyclist who ran down a pedestrian] ... said he was
“reeling” from a verdict that would leave him bankrupt. In a statement
he said: “I am of course deeply disappointed with the outcome … and
concerned by the precedent that it might set for other cyclists.
ENDQUOTE

But surely any court decision which reinforces and emphasises the need
for caution and restraint is good for society in general?

We are continually told that cyclists are, by definition, very rich, and
that all are insured, so he should have no problem paying some compo.

I have never said that and the law does not demand a cyclist to be

insured. You should be lobbying for compulsory cyclist insurance which I
would agree with.
The law is who you should be targetting your gripe against.

--
Bod

---

Old June 22nd 19, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/06/2019 08:52, Bod wrote:
[...]

So is it impossible for cyclists to insure themselves without the law
making it compulsory?

It's just that we have, for a long time here, been assured and reassured
that cyclists are all covered by unrelated insurance policies.
Old June 22nd 19, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

*
* I have never said that and the law does not demand a cyclist to be
insured. You should be lobbying for compulsory cyclist insurance which
I would agree with.
The law is who you should be targetting your gripe against.

So is it impossible for cyclists to insure themselves without the law
making it compulsory?

It's just that we have, for a long time here, been assured and reassured
that cyclists are all covered by unrelated insurance policies.

I've never said that.

--
Bod

---

Old June 22nd 19, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/06/2019 08:52, Bod wrote:
[...]

I didn't say you had.
Old June 22nd 19, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/06/2019 01:00, JNugent wrote:
To say nothing of his fridge-freezer policy?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

QUOTE:
Hazeldean [the cyclist who ran down a pedestrian] ... said he was
“reeling” from a verdict that would leave him bankrupt. In a statement
he said: “I am of course deeply disappointed with the outcome … and
concerned by the precedent that it might set for other cyclists.
ENDQUOTE

But surely any court decision which reinforces and emphasises the need
for caution and restraint is good for society in general?

Better still, what about emphasising the importance of the sheer

irresponsibility and danger of wearing headphones and blindly walking
across a road without even looking endangering other road users!
Her stupidity initiated and caused the accident.

--
Bod

---

Old June 22nd 19, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 22/06/2019 08:46, Bod wrote:
[...]

The court decided that the cyclist and the victim were each a nominal
50% to blame for the collion. She for stepping out without looking, he
for proceeding to collide with her without even trying to stop.
Old June 22nd 19, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 22/06/2019 12:13, JNugent wrote:
On 22/06/2019 08:46, Bod wrote:
[...]

He did apparently try to avoid her. Are you saying that he

deliberately rode into her?

--
Bod

---

Old June 22nd 19, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 22/06/2019 12:21, Bod wrote:
On 22/06/2019 12:13, JNugent wrote:

The court decided that the cyclist and the victim were each a nominal
50% to blame for the collion. She for stepping out without looking, he
for proceeding to collide with her without even trying to stop.

He did apparently try to avoid her. Are you saying that he

deliberately rode into her?

Note that Nugent is doing his usual slippery routine by using the word
word 'stop'. As though stop and avoid are the same thing.