3D Zebra Crosswalk To Slow Down Speeding Cars

Old May 17th 19, 07:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default 3D Zebra Crosswalk To Slow Down Speeding Cars

On Thu, 16 May 2019 21:07:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2019 04:53:29 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 09:06:50 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 9:54:53 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:

You don't think that it has anything to do with the population of the
entire country amounting to only 340,000 people? A bit smaller than
Anaheim.

They have a higher population in just your neighborhood in Bangkok don't they? I was just looking at a couple of pictures of Bangkok yesterday and damned if I could see any bike traffic. Of course it was in the downtown area.

Well, yes. the population of Bangkok is in excess of 5 million. :-)
But the discussion you responded to was commenting on the number of
automobiles shown in a photo and speculating on whether this was a
factor of the total number of people who lived in the place.

Actually, I suggested that the lack of traffic and parked automobiles
might have been a result of the 3D crosswalk art. I also speculated
that there was plenty of traffic before they were installed, and that
all the drivers fled from the area when they saw the 3D pavement art,
possibly to avoid accidentally ramming the blocks. It seems that most
of the online photos and graphic simulations are devoid of
automobiles.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=3D+pedestrian+crossing

It is written that anything worth doing, is also worth overdoing:
https://www.funzug.com/index.php/artwork/incredible-3d-zebra-crossings-from-around-the-world.html

"Velvet rope crosswalk in Montreal, Canada"
https://800016.xyz/files/funzug/imgs/creativity/3d_zebra_crossings_03.jpg
Maybe that will work on a dedicated bicycle lane. However, I still
prefer a brick wall border.

Apparently it was one painting in one small town:

"In the small fishing town of Ísafjörður, Iceland, an exciting
development in road safety has just popped up, almost literally. A
new pedestrian crossing has been painted that appears to be 3D by way
of a cleverly-detailed optical illusion.
Icelandic environmental commissioner Ralf Trylla called for its
placement in Ísafjörður after seeing a similar project being carried
out in New Delhi, India."

The Wiki tells us that the population of Ísafjörður, Iceland, is
2,600 people. You can see a photo of the town center at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I...ity_center.jpg
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 17th 19, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 17.05.2019 um 06:07 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:

"Velvet rope crosswalk in Montreal, Canada"
https://800016.xyz/files/funzug/imgs/creativity/3d_zebra_crossings_03.jpg
Maybe that will work on a dedicated bicycle lane. However, I still
prefer a brick wall border.

I'd rather have "protected" bike lanes like the following if you really
need one:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...58163309086384
Old May 17th 19, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 17 May 2019 09:10:44 +0200, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

Am 17.05.2019 um 06:07 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:

"Velvet rope crosswalk in Montreal, Canada"
https://800016.xyz/files/funzug/imgs/creativity/3d_zebra_crossings_03.jpg
Maybe that will work on a dedicated bicycle lane. However, I still
prefer a brick wall border.

I'd rather have "protected" bike lanes like the following if you really
need one:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...58163309086384

The above URL redirects me to:
https://www.commonslabantwerpen.org/activiteiten/?offset=1524575876543
The bicycle lane slide show is about 2/3 of the way down the page.

This protected bike lane?
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59609b228419c269d9b95c1b/5ad61b46f950b7d15edb6c75/5ad61b49f950b7d15edb6d80/1523981136206/Bike-lanes-2-800x719.jpg
Are you sure this is what you would rather have?
If yes, we both think alike.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 20th 19, 08:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 17.05.2019 um 19:26 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:
This protected bike lane?
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59609b228419c269d9b95c1b/5ad61b46f950b7d15edb6c75/5ad61b49f950b7d15edb6d80/1523981136206/Bike-lanes-2-800x719.jpg
Are you sure this is what you would rather have?
If yes, we both think alike.

Yes, this was the picture I was trying to link to.

Rolf
Old May 20th 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 20 May 2019 09:18:48 +0200, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

Am 17.05.2019 um 19:26 schrieb Jeff Liebermann:
This protected bike lane?
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59609b228419c269d9b95c1b/5ad61b46f950b7d15edb6c75/5ad61b49f950b7d15edb6d80/1523981136206/Bike-lanes-2-800x719.jpg
Are you sure this is what you would rather have?
If yes, we both think alike.

Yes, this was the picture I was trying to link to.
Rolf

It's a very useful device. When not acting as an automobile deterrent
or deflector to protect the bicycle lane, I use them for a kickstand:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/kickstand-v2.jpg
Just clamp to the top tube and lean the bicycle over slightly. I was
thinking of applying for a patent but was convinced that the cost of
the patent was more than the probably license revenue.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Speeding drivers could see their cars siezed Judith[_4_] UK 8 October 14th 15 10:12 AM
speeding cars Brimstone[_8_] UK 11 August 14th 09 01:32 PM
How to get speeding drivers to slow down. Simon Mason UK 80 May 20th 09 11:48 AM
Off the bike - speeding cars shock. S Mason UK 127 April 18th 09 12:16 PM
Cars go slow in Kensington Dan Gregory UK 67 February 26th 07 02:07 PM