Why Are People Here?

Old July 10th 19, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Why Are People Here?

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:47:59 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 10/7/19 8:36 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:58:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

:-) Tom I own two homes, outright, no mortgage, and you own a $4,000
bicycle. Tell us again about success.

My home is worth $700,000. Why don't you tell us what to dump sites in Thailand are worth?

Over here, a term for what you are doing is called "dick swinging".

--
JS

James, if you keep track of such things, I didn't start it. I damn tired of Frank and John taking pot shots at any and everything. Some SOB telling me that I should move from my home since I'm "sniveling" or some other POS who knows nothing about the stock market and believes like my brother than spending money now is far better than needing it later.
Old July 10th 19, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 4:01:31 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/9/2019 5:36 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:58:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 16:01:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 3:54:00 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:27:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/8/2019 12:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I'm amazed at the data-head cycling contingent. I have no idea how many
meters elevation gain I've ever done. Heck, I don't usually click to see
my average speed - partly because it's too embarrassing.

Many decades ago on our first trip to England, we were staying at a
hostel somewhere in Devon. Another guy and his son bragged that they had
ridden 100 miles to get there that day.

When I later related that to another guy in the hostel, he said in a
dismissive tone, "Oh, he's just doing it for the numbers."

But did he post the details on the Internet so everyone would know
what a wonderful and athletic person he was? And that he has a $4,000
bicycle?
--
cheers,

John B.

My, the tears flow so often and heavily from your eyes when you come to discover that someone was a great deal more successful than you and even with memory deficits can remember numbers better than you.

:-) Tom I own two homes, outright, no mortgage, and you own a $4,000
bicycle. Tell us again about success.
--
cheers,

John B.

My home is worth $700,000. Why don't you tell us what to dump sites in Thailand are worth?

I hear $750K buys bupkus in Oakland:

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/ar...photo-12560539

Do you still have any property tax on such a cheap place?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

That is a piece of junk but it is in Rockridge neighborhood. It is a short bicycle ride to Cal Berkeley and directly next to a large multi-hospital/medical group complex. Aside from Piedmont this is the best place you can buy in Oakland.
Old July 10th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 6:08:52 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 4:23:58 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:57:20 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/8/2019 10:17 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 9:03:51 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 1:55:31 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/8/2019 4:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:02:47 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 08/07/2019 1:32 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 7:27:54 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/8/2019 12:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I'm amazed at the data-head cycling contingent. I have no idea how many
meters elevation gain I've ever done. Heck, I don't usually click to see
my average speed - partly because it's too embarrassing.

Many decades ago on our first trip to England, we were staying at a
hostel somewhere in Devon. Another guy and his son bragged that they had
ridden 100 miles to get there that day.

When I later related that to another guy in the hostel, he said in a
dismissive tone, "Oh, he's just doing it for the numbers."

I don't even have an odometer/speedometer, but I'll probably get one or download Strava and have my phone do it. I do like to know how far I've gone and the elevation, although its not that important.

I no longer criticize the data-driven. First, people can do what they want to do (being data OCD is harmless), and second, for those who are training -- bicycling, weight lifting, what-have-you -- the studied seem to make huge improvements. I'm not training for anything except riding with my son in Utah. Data is not that important to me, and knowing my power would be downright depressing.

-- Jay Beattie.

You find motivation where it works for you. I like keeping track of my
performance. I'm not obsessive about it but it helps keep me motivated
to push.

I just bought a Cateye wireless bicycle computer. When I'm touring or riding long distances exploring, I find it nice to know how far I've gone and my average speed so that I know when to turn back for home. I just got the basic 8-functions one. I don't need to know temperature and a lot of the other stuff on the more expensive units.

My touring bike has an Avocet 35. Maybe 7 functions? I look at a few of
them - the speed and sometimes average speed. I'll check trip miles at
the end of a ride, and occasionally during one.

Since I still use paper maps, the trip odometer is occasionally handy
during a ride for navigating - as in "I have to turn left after 3/4 mile."

I like my iPhone for maps, although the small screen and lighting issues can make it frustrating, OTOH, a paper map often doesn't have the detail unless you take section maps. I also like taking pictures now, because sometimes you encounter things nobody would believe without a picture. Like an empty bike bridge. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127780...3/48224598087/

In fact, you can use your phone as a head unit if you buy a sensor and download the right aps.

-- Jay Beattie.

Or a paper map doesn't show that the bridge over the river has been out for 30+ years. That happened to us one time in Northern Ontario, Canada with so called up to date topographic maps. We road along an old logging road and discovered that there was no bridge over the river although the map showed one there. Fortunately the water wasn't too cold and we were able to swim across with the bikes and then again a couple of times with our gear.

Old July 10th 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 09 Jul 2019 15:08:50 -0700, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 4:23:58 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

**** Frank, LOL that bridge I talked about wasn't closed it was gone
completely!

Mine too, the one where I used the bike as a sort of brace. It was on a
road along a lake I passed many times but never rode, about 40 miles
from here. One day, I changed my usual route to check it out despite the
"Bridge Out" signs. I asked several people along the road if a bike
could get through, but nobody knew. I was pretty committed when I rode a
long, steep downhill to access the road.

Nobody knew because the road department had _thoroughly_ closed the
road, including with a four foot high gravel pile, probably to keep out
four-wheelers.
I climbed over that, rode another quarter mile, and saw the gap: Maybe
25 feet across, maybe 8 feet deep, with a tiny stream about two feet
wide at the bottom.

In the distant path of my young adult age, we'd organise a club ride/tour
every Easter from Newcastle, Australia to the southern foothills of
Barrington Tops. Everytime, one or more low level timber bridge(s) would
be washed out and it would be alternate destination time.

Nothing so dramatic as steep hills as the creek beds were wide, 'shallow"
and full of "football' size rocks which you could relatively easily ford.
The real problem was the amount of water and the strong current from the
rain on the foothills durig the week prior. Whilst we crossed the Hunter
River on a substantial high level road bridge, the Williams, ??? and
Allyn Rivers were all low level and the bridges were timber ones that
suffered almost annual wash aways until they replaced them with a mixture
of concrete bridges and concrete bottomed fords abot s decade later..
Old July 10th 19, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/9/2019 4:01 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

I hear $750K buys bupkus in Oakland:

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/ar...photo-12560539

LOL, it's probably a bad idea to judge wealth based on the value of
California real estate purchased a long time ago.
Old July 10th 19, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

I'm surprised as yesterday I came across something on the Internet:

From: "Tom Kunich" Subject: THIS IS MY HOUSE
7 posts by 7 authors
seenohearno
2/13/05
From: "Tom Kunich" Subject: THIS IS MY HOUSE

From: "Tom Kunich" - Find messages by this
author

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 05:20 GMT
Subject: THIS IS MY HOUSE
original | Report Abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my house.

From:
i don't think so little 2" DICK tommy boy

Owner Name: KUNICH MARY H
Mailing Addr: 3539 MONTEREY SAN LEANDRO CA 94578
Situs Addr: 3539 MONTEREY BL SAN LEANDRO CA 94578
Legal Description:
ASSESSMENT
Total Value: $111,522 Use Code: 110 Zoning:
Land Value: $63,727 Tax Rate Area: 10020
Impr Value: $47,795 Year Assd: 2004 Impr Type:
Other Value: Property Tax: Price/Sqft: $98.18
% Improved: 43% Delinquent Yr:
Exempt Amt.: $7,000 Exempt Codes: Y
SALE HISTORY Sale1 Sale2 Sale 3 Transfer
Recording Date: 11/21/1978 05/13/1975 04/25/2003
Recorded Doc: 78 227455 75 063356 03 244028
Rec. Doc Type:
Transfer Amount: $20,000
Seller (Grantor):
1st Trs Dd Amt: Code 1: 2nd Trs Dd Amt: Code 2:
PROPERTY CHARACTERISTICS
Lot Acres: 0.110 Year Built: 1955 Fireplace:
Lot SqFt: 4,940 Effective Yr: 1956 A/C:
Bldg/Liv Area: 1,153
510-351-3807
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 10th 19, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 17:04:52 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:47:59 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 10/7/19 8:36 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:58:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

:-) Tom I own two homes, outright, no mortgage, and you own a $4,000
bicycle. Tell us again about success.

My home is worth $700,000. Why don't you tell us what to dump sites in Thailand are worth?

Over here, a term for what you are doing is called "dick swinging".

--
JS

James, if you keep track of such things, I didn't start it. I damn tired of Frank and John taking pot shots at any and everything. Some SOB telling me that I should move from my home since I'm "sniveling" or some other POS who knows nothing about the stock market and believes like my brother than spending money now is far better than needing it later.

But Tom, neither Frank or I take "pot shots" at you when you tell the
truth.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old July 10th 19, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/10/2019 12:50 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip

Total Value: $111,522 Use Code: 110 Zoning:

snip

The assessed value is meaningless. Due to Prop 13 the assessed value is
limited to a 2% increase per year since 1976. That house currently has
an assessed value of $135,136 but would sell for around $750,000 today
and the new owner would have to pay property taxes based on the sale price.
Old July 11th 19, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 13:23:56 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

**** Frank, LOL that bridge I talked about wasn't closed it was gone completely!

I recall a new MUP advertised as having a restored historic bridge on
it. I came to the bridge, realized that I would have to back off and
take a run to get up the ramp leading to it, decided that I'd get off
and walk instead because I couldn't see what the condition of the deck
was.

And when I got to the top of the ramp, I could see the bridge lying on
the other bank of the creek.

I trespassed to a nearby road.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 11th 19, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 16:06:03 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 3:26:45 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 5:23:57 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

many fantasies deleted

Aside from all your other moaning, fantasizing, distorting and ranting - what on
earth makes you think I don't have money invested? Why would you even speculate
on that? Are you trying to post some new record for the maximum number of
mistakes and falsehoods?

Sheesh!

- Frank Krygowski

Teachers are rarely paid enough to have any significant investments. I never knew a PE that made diddly squat - except for the very top echelon most of them made about what an electronics technician did.

I suggest that you open you eyes and get out of the house and have a
look at the rest of the world. We employed quite a number of Engineers
on various projects in Indonesia, some of them had P.E. qualifications
and as I was generally responsible for setting salaries on the various
projects I can assure you that as a general statement an Engineer
would be paid only slightly less than the project manager and
certainly less than any electrical type that we ever employed.

Or is it just another example of the fool with his mouth open proving
to the world that he really, truly, is a fool.
--

Cheers,

John B.

How do people put up with this every day? Simon Mason UK 1 October 11th 11 12:13 AM
What odd people vey Techniques 39 October 22nd 07 10:00 AM
who are these people? Jkohse Unicycling 55 July 22nd 07 03:50 PM
you people are gay MagillaGorilla Racing 282 December 7th 04 07:06 PM
Some help here people!! Neil Hardman UK 2 July 13th 03 08:22 AM