Convert rear hub of an older bike to Skewer quick release type possible?

Old February 20th 08, 03:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Convert rear hub of an older bike to Skewer quick release type possible?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:08:24 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:54:58 -0800 (PST), markm75
wrote:

I have an older schwinn mountain bike.. it has the standard nut type
hub on the rear wheel..

I've recently acquired a trainer, and for the trainer (Minoura rim
drive powermatic system), they use skewers and recommend replacing the
existing skewer to theirs that came with it, which i did with my newer
bike...

Is it possible to convert the older bike's nut type setup to a quick
release skewer setup? Or cost wise.. would it be cheaper to just find
a bike that could be used as a trainer that had the quick release
(used)...

The local bike store said it wouldnt be possible to convert it.

The bike was originally a 10 speed.. with the front sprocket having 2
rings.. i upgraded that awhile back to 3 ring.. i think its 15 speed,
but the back is the part that matters here i think...

Any thoughts?

Yes. Give up mountain biking. You obviously aren't suited for it, and
it harms the environent. Replacing laces on hiking shoes might be more
your speed.

Yo Mikey,

How does riding a mountain bicycle inside on a trainer harm natural areas?

"Hard-core mountain biking may injure the scrotum"

And cause similar harm to women.

Touche',

Mike

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 09:47:39 -0800
From: Monica Craver
Subject: From Reuters Mtb'er injuries

Hard-core mountain biking may injure the scrotum

Monday, Feb. 18, 2008; 8:27 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Men who are serious about mountain biking
may run a serious risk of injuries to the scrotum, a new study
suggests.

Researchers found that, compared with hard-core male cyclists who
stayed on paved roads, those who biked rugged terrain were more likely
to show abnormalities in ultrasound scans of the scrotum.

Fully 94 percent of the 85 mountain bikers had some form of scrotal
abnormality -- most often calcium deposits or cysts. That compared
with 48 percent of 50 on-road cyclists, the researchers report in the
Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine.

It's not clear what the ultrasound abnormalities mean, including
whether they could affect mountain bikers' fertility, according to the
researchers.

"Further studies should be undertaken to determine the clinical
significance of the sonographic changes," write Dr. Michael
Mitterberger and his colleagues at the Medical University Innsbruck in
Austria.

Biking, whether in rough terrain or on paved roads, has been linked to
impotence in men, and it's thought that pressure from the bike seat
can eventually damage blood vessels and nerves. With mountain biking,
the off-road terrain makes the impact on the groin that much greater
and past research has found that male mountain bikers may have a high
prevalence of scrotal injuries.

The current study included men who biked on- or off-road for at least
two hours per day, six days a week. Despite the many miles on-road
cyclists logged, the percentage with scrotal abnormalities was
significantly less when compared with mountain bikers.

There are measures that serious mountain bikers can take to lessen the
impact from below.

One is to take frequent rests while biking. Padding in both the bike
seat and bike shorts may also help. Experts also recommend that men be
sure that the seat is raised high enough and that it sits at the
proper angle.

According to Mitterberger's team, bikes with shock absorbers and
suspension systems "are mandatory to reduce the potential risk" of
scrotal injuries. However, they add, riders also need to hone their
technical skills to lessen the chances of injury.

SOURCE: Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, January 2008.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old February 20th 08, 03:22 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

When did riding a trainer in the living room become "hard-core mountain
biking"?

Old February 21st 08, 04:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:

[...]

Use your imagination. Do I have to spell out everything for you?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande