Bottle holder

Old May 26th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Bottle holder

On Sat, 25 May 2019 23:18:49 -0700, sms wrote:

On 5/25/2019 7:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:38:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

Well, we could add a safety wire to the hose clamp:
"Safety Wire Those Worm Drive Clamps"
https://avidflyer.fandom.com/wiki/Safety_Wire_Those_Worm_Drive_Clamps
Maybe start with a wave of horror stories about cyclists injured by
running over water bottles that had fallen off insecure bottle cages
attached with unsafe non-wired hose clamps. I'll volunteer my two hose
clamp injuries to start the campaign for safer water bottle mounting
clamps. If that gets the attention of the media or aftermarket bicycle
accessory market, maybe we can commission a survey of volunteer
cyclists to count the number of hose clamps found on the road, some of
which probably fell off of water bottle cage mounts. By offering a
bounty for hose clamps found, statistically relevant figures can be
manufactured errr... determined. Nothing is sacred when safety when
invoked in the name of safety.

Since almost no one mounts a bottle cage in that way I don't think that
a double-blind, peer-reviewed study on hose clamps would accomplish a
whole lot, but you should contact UCSC and see if they can find a
doctoral candidate to conduct such a study. But I have no doubt that if
such a study were ever conducted that it would be attacked with claims
that hose clamps used on gardening hoses pose a much bigger danger but
were ignored by the study. Or perhaps it would be someone falling out of
bed onto a hose clamp that had been dropped.

and were they wearing a helmet or not. We have recently heared of a
number of ceilings falling in when people were inside their houses.

Old May 26th 19, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:58:54 +0000, Duane wrote:

John B. wrote:

The is some sort of theory, "Occam's Razor" I believe, that says that
the simplest solution is likely to be correct ?

The thing about Occam’s Razor that is often overlooked is that it’s
referring to the simplest SOLUTION, not the simplest hair brained
scheme.

Unfortunately, this country has been suject to many of the later types
for the last month of polical campaigning.
Old May 26th 19, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2019 10:14 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 26 May 2019 05:33:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I find all this emotion about hose clamps to be a bit... well
amateurish. After all the aircraft I used to work on were full of hose
clamps and no one seemed to get injured. See
https://tinyurl.com/y5xmgp8t
https://tinyurl.com/y66v5o3u
https://tinyurl.com/yxrk5wps

Did anyone ride on top of the diesel or aircraft engines?
If they did, I suspect that the injury rate from hose clamp slashes
might be somewhat higher.

This guy carefully inspects all the hose clamps before he rides:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-walker-400753

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 19, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

Well, we could add a safety wire to the hose clamp:
"Safety Wire Those Worm Drive Clamps"
https://avidflyer.fandom.com/wiki/Sa...m_Drive_Clamps

But... but... wouldn't the end of the wire be kind of sharp?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 19, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I find all this emotion about hose clamps to be a bit... well
amateurish. After all the aircraft I used to work on were full of hose
clamps and no one seemed to get injured. See
https://tinyurl.com/y5xmgp8t
https://tinyurl.com/y66v5o3u
https://tinyurl.com/yxrk5wps

Did anyone ride on top of the diesel or aircraft engines?
If they did, I suspect that the injury rate from hose clamp slashes
might be somewhat higher.

This guy carefully inspects all the hose clamps before he rides:
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...-walker-400753

Impressive. However, unlike a bicycle, there are no hose clamps
anywhere near the pilot or wing walker on such aircraft. These are
closer to what I was thinking:
https://images.megapixl.com/3080/30808373.jpg
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/woman-ride-airplane-young-riding-drawn-flying-air-56911002.jpg

Incidentally, in marine service, where corrosion of perforated hose
clamps can be a problem, double hose clamps and hose clamps without
thread slots are required:
https://pbase.com/mainecruising/double_hose_clamps
https://www.google.com/search?q=non+perforated+hose+clamps&tbm=isch
Also, the metallurgy of hose clamps can vary depending on source and
application. I've heard stories of, but never seen, two side-by-side
hole clamps, where one is severely corroded while the other is
unaffected.

Incidentally, a plastic screw head cover or plastic wings would have
prevented my 2nd accident involving a hose clamp:
https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-ydm181c/products/2417/images/9820/hose_clamp_stainless_steel_non_perforated_box_of_1 0_1__00063.1461005208.440.500.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=turn+key+hose+clamp&tbm=isch
Note the different styles available:
http://clampcoupling.com/1-non-perforated-hose-clamp/222291/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 26th 19, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 May 2019 09:58:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The is some sort of theory, "Occam's Razor" I believe, that says that
the simplest solution is likely to be correct ?

Occam had over-simplified. It all depends on the definition of
"solution". The consensus is that a solution solves a problem. Other
possible solutions are "make the complaining stop", "promotes revenue
enhancement", "creates a suitable diversion", "minimizes side
effects", and many other possible "solutions". Depending on one's
priorities, your problem may not be the same as mine, and your
solution may not be as simple for you as it might be for me. All that
is why the original Occam's Razor included the word "likely" which
suggests that the simplest solution is not always the optimum
solution.

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".

Yeah, that's another possible criteria. Collateral damage from
intended solutions is an all too common problem that often requires
additional simplistic solutions. It never ends. The nice thing about
complicated solutions is that there's far more "wiggle room" to adapt
to changes, deal with unanticipated surprises, and recover from
screwups.

Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)

They won't fit in my pockets, it's not fashionable, and my body heat
warms the bottles too much. It's also difficult to remove the bottle
for a drink and then replace it later. It may be a simple solution,
but it's not effective or even useful.

I wonder how the bicycle rides when they're full?
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/oddities/empty-water-bottles.jpg

Old May 26th 19, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 May 2019 13:18:43 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sat, 25 May 2019 21:13:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2019 15:22:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. But sharpening drills
is just two passes across the grinding wheel and a chain saw has a
multitude of teeth :-)

Sharpening chain saw cutters is much easier than sharpening a drill
bit. I have enough chain saws and spare chains that knowing how to
sharpen the chains is an economic requirement.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/chainsaw/chain-saws-02.jpg
(I no longer own the 3 Homelite EZ saws in the first two rows).
Sharpening chains is mostly a matter of knowing how to use a file
guide, doing symmetrical cuts from both sides of the bar, and
occasionally using the depth gauge to check raker height. I have a
fancy guide:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308557_200308557
but prefer a simple file guide:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oregon-3-16-in-File-Guide-with-File-25896/307730637
I find chain saw sharpening much easier than drill bit sharpening.

My father's older brother was crippled - had polio when he was a
senior in high school. Being a typical New England family he expected
to work and because he couldn't get around he started filing saws -
this was back in the days when carpenters used hand saws - and I
remember him filing one tooth at a time until he worked all the way
down the saw blade and then flipping the saw in the vise and starting
back. I asked him once about some sort of grinding machine and he said
that yes, he had tried that but hand filing was better.

I don't expect that you can get that sort of hand work in the U.S. any
more... nor over here either.

Probably still being done in very rural areas, but not in the cities.
However, there's hope. There are many videos on YouTube demonstrating
how to sharpen rip and crosscut saws by hand:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sharpen+hand+saw

Way back in the early 1960's, we had a "knife sharpener" make the
rounds of the factories in downtown Smog Angeles offering to sharpen
anything that might need sharpening. I don't recall if that included
saws, but I suspect he would sharpen one if asked. My father owned a
lingerie factory and this sharpener would do all his scissors, raffle
cutters, drills, etc. He had an amazing push cart that was literally
crammed full of hand tools or all types. I wish I had photos. No
electricity was used. All his grinding wheels were hand or foot
powered. Something like this but bigger and with cabinets full of
hand tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GD0snLGV-Q
https://www.google.com/search?q=knife+sharpening+push+cart&bm=isch
He had various polishing stones for hand sharpening. Most everything
was done by hand which produced perfect edges (depending on
application). I didn't really appreciate the skills involved until I
later tried to sharpen a few things myself.

However, that's now why I sharpen my chain saw cutters by hand. It's
because I've found that it takes much longer to setup the a jig or
grinder for chain sharpening than to do it by hand with a file guide.
It takes me about 10 minutes to clean up a typical chain on the saw.
Or, I could spend 10 minutes getting setup, 10 minutes sharpening one
chain, and 5 minutes cleaning up the equipment. Add another 5 minutes
if I have to remove and replace the chain.

Old May 26th 19, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 May 2019 12:59:25 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Years ago my wife fixed me a bunch of sausages. Unfortunately one had
a piece of bone, or something hard, in it and when I bit down on it a
tooth broke. I haven't eaten a sausage since :-(

Years ago, I worked for an electronics company near the San Jose
airport. Nearby was the Neto Sausage Company:
http://www.netosausage.com
I did some work for them and given a tour of the factory to see how
sausage is made. After seeing and smelling how it's made, I decided
that I didn't like sausage. However, I eventually broke down and
snuck in some kielbasa (Polish sausage) mostly because I had grown up
eating it and it appeared at almost all the family events and was
therefore far too tempting.

Old May 26th 19, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

Well, we could add a safety wire to the hose clamp:
"Safety Wire Those Worm Drive Clamps"
https://avidflyer.fandom.com/wiki/Sa...m_Drive_Clamps

But... but... wouldn't the end of the wire be kind of sharp?

It would be pointless if it weren't sharp.
(Sorry, but that was just too tempting).

As in brake and shifter cables, there are crimp on end caps to help
minimize the bleeding:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bicycle+cable+ends
When using safety wire, the twisted wires are commonly folded back on
themselves to avoid making a point. See photo #11:
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/brakes/1408-how-to-safety-wire-your-bolts-tight/
Notice the drill jig for bolts that lack safety wire holes.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=safety+wire+drilling+jig
Soon, bicyclists everywhere will be drilling holes in their bolt heads
for safety wires. If this is all too complexicated, use Occam's
Razor. Carry a first aid kit and have your tetanus immunization shots
updated.

Old May 26th 19, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

It's a TRICYCLE not a bicycle. LOL VEBG

Looking at images of Asians and their bicycles it's pretty amazing how much some of them can carry on their bicycles.

Cheers