So Long Tubulars?

Old July 8th 19, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default So Long Tubulars?

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 4:16:54 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
The hassle factor is easy to observe. The performance benefit, if there is one, is unidentifiable.

I work in a bike shop. I've seen long struggles to seat a tubeless tire, and plenty of puddles of yogurty spoo on the floor. I've seen my coworkers give up, because a tire won't seat evenly after all their efforts. I won't do tubeless tire jobs.

I think that whoever chooses tubeless tires should handle his own maintenance. Otherwise, it's very much like ****ting your own pants on purpose and then hiring a professional to deal with the mess.

Indeed the early tubeless tires did have those sorts of problems. But I suppose you work in a bike shop because you believe technology is frozen in time.

Old July 8th 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 11:13:31 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 18:17:44 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 3:42:06 PM UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
Chalo wrote:
What good is riding the tire without getting flats, if you have to spend
more time fooling around with it than if you were getting lots of flats
in a conventional system? You're trading the chance of a small
inconvenience for the certainty of a larger one.

If your riding time is scarce and precious, but basement lurking time is
plentiful, I guess I can see the appeal. You probably won't have to mess
with it while you're on the trail. But you will have to mess with it,
both when installing the stuff and again every so often when you take out
the curds and whey-- and that's true even if you didn't get any punctures at all.

Some people like to fiddle with the hardware, and some like to just use it
and not think about it. With guitars, I’m a hardware fiddler, so I ditched
music and went into engineering. A friend of mine posted a picture of
himself adjusting the valve lash on his BMW motorcycle and I had to think
back to the last time I ever had to do that (1988?). I also think we all
have different levels of how much we are willing to pay for an incremental
performance improvement.

... Or for an irrelevant or negligible performance improvement. And we definitely
have different judgments on the benefits vs. detriments of performance
improvements.

Why would I go to tubeless tires? I'd have to invest a bundle and learn a new
maintenance drill, but for what? To reduce my few flats per year to "few minus
one"? To reduce my rolling resistance, when I'm usually the first or second
rider to finish a ride? (Tip: Ride with old folks! It's easier!) Why would I
switch to a much lighter bike? I'm usually first or second to the top of a hill,
even on the tandem. (See the tip above.) Why would I switch to disc brakes? I
don't do that much riding in the rain, and anyway I've never once gotten in
trouble by my rim brakes being inadequate.

I understand that there are people who want whatever the advertisers are
promoting most this year. Some do it because of the "art" value of the
(supposedly) top technology. ("I've got the finest bike!!!"). Some may do it to
beat their buddies to the next telephone pole. Have at it, if you like. But
that's not what most of my riding is about.

What I don't understand is people who don't understand that some of us don't
give a damn about three fewer pounds, or one thousandth less rolling resistance,
or magical handling that only cognoscenti can detect.

Why not just ride the bike?

- Frank Krygowski

But what do you know? After all you don't have a $4,000 bike like The
Expert does so obviously you don't know nothing :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

And you don't have anything so why are you on this group?
Old July 8th 19, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Chalo wrote:
[...]

He's got a computer and at least one opinion. What more does one need?
Old July 8th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Chalo wrote:
[...]

Radey - if you have an opinion and nothing more there is the .soc group. Here you are expected to actually have some technical knowledge. The major problem with the Internet these days is that people mistake opinions for knowledge. Even the media now has eschewed knowledge for opinion.
Old July 8th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Chalo wrote:
[...]

Well, of course I was talking to Frank so you might be said to be
lurking on corners and eavesdropping on others, but you might say that
I'm here to expose those who tell lies and attempt to inflate their
own ego by bragging abut their great wealth, and who, at the same
time, weep and cry about how they don't have sufficient funds to buy
groceries.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 8th 19, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Chalo wrote:
[...]

One can only assume that he is here to brag abut his great wealth, the
vast funds he has invested and his $4,000 bicycle, while complaining
about the great cost of groceries, to moan and groan about what a
miserable neighborhood he lives in, to rant and rave about history
(history that has already happened and cannot be changed) tell lies
and generally act like a horses ass.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 8th 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Chalo wrote:
[...]

Or we can look at you living in a foreign country unable to ever move back to the USA and making up reality as you go along. Where did I ever say I don't have sufficient funds to buy groceries. To you telling the truth is something you cannot stand and you find a psychological need to blow it out of proportion.

I am worth over a million dollars. That used to be a lot of money but no longer is. Being someone as stupid as you or Frank and unable to realize that the future is not predictable and inflation could diminish your living standard is what marks the difference between a careful man and those who are not. You might try to remember that since Thailand is set for a large advance in living standards and commensurate inflation.
Old July 9th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Chalo wrote:
[...]

What, "unable to move back"? And as for living in a foreign country,
given your last name your ancestors elected to "live in a foreign
country" so your argument appears to be "the pot calling he kettle
black".

And no, you didn't say, specifically, that you couldn't afford
groceries but you certainly appeared to be very concerned about the 50
odd dollars you spent and I guess that I assumed that anyone who was
so concerned about spending that vast sum of money must be a bit
worried about their budget. Else why would you have mentioned it?

I am worth over a million dollars. That used to be a lot of money but no longer is. Being someone as stupid as you or Frank and unable to realize that the future is not predictable and inflation could diminish your living standard is what marks the difference between a careful man and those who are not. You might try to remember that since Thailand is set for a large advance in living standards and commensurate inflation.

No I, certainly, and from his posts I assume Frank, are probably as
knowledgeable as you about the economy, if not more knowledgeable, and
yes inflation will decrease the value of your savings but if you have
invested in physical assets such as real estate than the value of your
"estate" tends to be inflated in price to (roughly) equate to the
inflation. And stock in such investments as gas and oil companies,
rubber growers, etc., generally grow in cash terms, again roughly, in
accordance with inflation.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 9th 19, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Chalo wrote:
[...]

It's Usenet -- no one vets your palmares, no one vouches for your bona
fides. But every reader can decide for him- or herself whether a post
is sufficiently useful/interesting/entertaining to read. Hostility can
be both unrelenting *and* entertaining, but it's tough to keep that up
for 20 or 30 posts a day. Look at Andre, a man hardened by years of
payment by the word, see how he paces himself.

I'm not all sure that years of reading Usenet have been time well spent,
but I have learned a thing or two. One is that, although I devoutly hope
one day to retire while still able to ride a bike, a person *can* have
too much free time. The other is that if doing or reading something
makes me crazy, it's better to give it a rest.

Old July 9th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Chalo wrote:
[...]

He's worth over ONE MILLION dollars and he's complaining about $50.00 worth of groceries? INCONCEIVABLE!

If I was worth 1 million dollars and I lived in a place as bad as Tom says he does I'd move out so fast that there'd be burnt rubber along the road of my exit.

Cheers