Coh and Co Bicycles

Old July 19th 19, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Coh and Co Bicycles

On 7/18/2019 8:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:34:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:30:36 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 11:45:26 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/18/2019 12:59 PM, Chalo wrote:
To my eyes, they don't look as nice as a frame made from tubing, but they look nice enough. Braze-on style front derailleurs are a nuisance, because they limit the sizes of chainrings that can be used. But these days, you can go without a front derailleur anyway.

My one major misgiving is the deletion of the right seatstay on the "Erik" model. If you can put that kind of grievous design blunder into production, what other-- less visible but still serious-- problems might you have made for the end user?

Over Two Thousand US Dollars ?

You'd expect some at least minimal engineering integrity for
that kind of money.

The road bikes aren't even pretty like the Renovo, RIP. https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/04/...t-quits-290561

Been there, wood that.

Those Renovos were pretty indeed!

There's still Calfee bamboo bikes. https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/ But to me
they look like some high school kid's environmental science project. Too organic
for me.

Wood wasn't my thing, but I was really sorry to see them go. I'm saddened when any of the custom builders bites the dust, although a replacement seems to spring up -- probably because of the UBI frame building program. https://bikeschool.com/index.php/classes/frame-building But wood was a novelty. We need a new novelty bike. Maybe a bike made out of cannabis. Combine a few novelties.

-- Jay Beattie.

In principle I agree. Bruce Gordon left Oregon and the
world was generally better, but now he's left the planet and
we're short one genius and a pile of beauty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 19th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 9:14:34 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Good idea on the cannabis. It's very trendy, so it must make a great bike frame.

And hey, has anyone tried CBD oil as a chain lube? I understand it cures all
ills. Maybe that includes chain wear!

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 19th 19, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 09:14:51 -0700, jhcjrx wrote:

Interesting and innovative work from bike designers Paul Harder Cohen
and Mette Walsted, using wood and carbon fiber (I'm not interested in a
'steel is real' flamewar). This BBC podcast has some great interviews.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz1yp

Their website has some great pics.

https://www.cohandco.com/

No, I'm not trying to sell the bikes, I just found them very interesting
and thought I would share.

The cargo bike is a design disaster. The load has been lifted way up.
Raising the centre of gravity way beyond the point they could have had
it. You can't just chuck your kid and shopping in it and go. You'd have
to strap everything down.

And that big ugly bent stick of a frame. Eeeew!

--
davethedave
Old July 29th 19, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 4:29:43 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:59:23 PM UTC-4, Chalo wrote:
To my eyes, they don't look as nice as a frame made from tubing, but they look nice enough. Braze-on style front derailleurs are a nuisance, because they limit the sizes of chainrings that can be used. But these days, you can go without a front derailleur anyway.

My one major misgiving is the deletion of the right seatstay on the "Erik" model. If you can put that kind of grievous design blunder into production, what other-- less visible but still serious-- problems might you have made for the end user?

Looks like they forgot the left chainstay, too. Asymmetry must be very fashionable
now.

I know Cannondale's "Lefty" front non-fork hasn't taken the world by storm, but
I gather it works pretty well. Maybe that's the inspiration?

Some motorcycles have a single swing-arm design

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinga...e:SprintST.jpg

IT would seem there isn't too much of a problem structurally.

I bought a Cannondale Habit 3 with a lefty 2.0 in 2017. It's the best mountain bike I've ever ridden - caveat: I raced MTB quite a bit in the 90's, and rode a fair number of bikes. I quite racing MB in about 2002, and was racing an Independent Fabrications Custom Ti, which was the only MTB I rode for the next 15 years (went through 3 Rockshox SIDs in that time). So, when I bought the Habit I didn't really have any modern frame of reference, so my experience is at best subjective.
Old July 30th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 4:07:59 PM UTC-4, Zen Cycle wrote:
[...]

I think BMW was the first modern motorcycle to use a single sided swing arm..
I know it can be done. And IIRC, at the time BMW said the design was stiffer
and lighter than the dual-sided swing arm it replaced.

But that doesn't mean it would have been stiffer and lighter than a more
modern, redesigned dual-sided swing arm. It does, however, ease removal of the
rear wheel in case of a flat. (Interestingly, I've owned four different
motorcycles and never had a flat with any of them.)

On that "Erik" bike, I can sort of see the benefit of omitting the right side
seat stay. If you have one, the belt drive requires it to be separable. Omitting
the seat stay certainly solves that problem. But I don't see an advantage to
omitting the left side chain stay. Except to add a "Look at ME!" feature.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 30th 19, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/30/2019 11:06 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Were those tedeschi before the 1949 Vespa?

https://www.scooterstyle.com.au/wp-c...S-VS5-1959.jpg

A quick web search indicates 1955 for BMW but I don't know.

Old July 31st 19, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 09:06:39 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I somehow have the recollection that the first single swing arm rear
suspension was used on racing motorcycles to allow the rapid changing
of a rear flat. I can't remember for the life of me where I got that
idea but somehow that is what I remember :-)

--
cheers,

John B.