"Government whip slaps down helmet compulsion bid"

Old October 29th 05, 04:30 PM
Mike Causer

Default "Government whip slaps down helmet compulsion bid"

Article on BikeBiz:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6140

Mike

Old October 29th 05, 05:04 PM
Tony Raven

Mike Causer wrote:
Article on BikeBiz:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6140

Reading the Hansard transcript is depressing. Even those who spoke out
against the amendment thought helmets were a good idea, the government
said it is committed to encouraging people to wear them and the anti's
trotted out the same old B**** dodgy statistics this time buoyed up by
the BMA's recent about turn. It looked a much closer call than Fat
Eric's attempt last year and snuck in under most people's radar screen.

Perhaps the campaigning success that CTC has had recently in other areas
(flashing lights and RoW) could be turned to focus on this one issue.

--
Tony

Anon
Old October 29th 05, 06:03 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Mike Causer wrote:

Article on BikeBiz:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6140

Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.
Old October 29th 05, 07:50 PM
Sandy Morton

In article 4363ade0.0@entanet,
Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.

but

does he know how to take chain oil out of carpets:-)

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old October 29th 05, 10:14 PM
Rich

"Sandy Morton" wrote in message

Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.

but does he know how to take chain oil out of carpets:-)

perhaps not, but being a sensible chap, he'll be wearing a helmet when SWMBO
comes home :-)

Old October 30th 05, 01:50 AM
Bertie Wiggins

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 18:03:43 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:

Mike Causer wrote:

Article on BikeBiz:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6140

Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.

Lord Berkley doesn't sound too much of a berk either.
Old October 30th 05, 07:46 AM
Rich

"Bertie Wiggins" cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Mike Causer wrote:

Article on BikeBiz:
http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=6140

Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.

Lord Berkley doesn't sound too much of a berk either.

I have heard from somewhere that "berk" is a non-parliamentary term, because
it's shortened rhyming slang: Berkeley Hunt!

Old October 30th 05, 08:45 AM
David Hansen

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:50:48 +0100 someone who may be Bertie Wiggins
cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk wrote this:-

Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.

Lord Berkley doesn't sound too much of a berk either.

Members of the House of Lords are the usual mixture of good, bad and
indifferent. That is true whether they are hereditary or life peers.

On any subject the House of Lords usually has at least one person
who knows what they are talking about. They also tend to be
intelligent. It is a pity that the rascals at the other end of the
building are generally lacking on both counts.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old October 30th 05, 09:16 AM
Tony Raven

David Hansen wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:50:48 +0100 someone who may be Bertie Wiggins
cycling_remove_bertie@yahoo_dot_co_dot_uk wrote this:-

Lord Davies sounds like an unusually sound bloke for a Lord.

Lord Berkley doesn't sound too much of a berk either.

Members of the House of Lords are the usual mixture of good, bad and
indifferent. That is true whether they are hereditary or life peers.

On any subject the House of Lords usually has at least one person
who knows what they are talking about. They also tend to be
intelligent. It is a pity that the rascals at the other end of the
building are generally lacking on both counts.

And its a pity that Lord Swinfen swallowed BHIT lies hook line and
sinker. The actual figures and the figures he used in the debate a

Number of child hospital admissions for cycling related injuries: 5,804
(90,000)

Number of child hospital admissions involving a head injury: 2,183 (26,000)

These are inflated versions of the figures BHIT have already agreed with
the ASA they will not use. It ought to be a criminal offence to seek to
pervert the legislative process in this way IMO.

--
Tony

Anon
Old October 30th 05, 03:13 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Rich wrote:

I have heard from somewhere that "berk" is a non-parliamentary term, because
it's shortened rhyming slang: Berkeley Hunt!

/searches Roger's Profanisaurus

You're right!