Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists

Old April 9th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Eric Vey

Default DC Metro (was Reckless, Aggressive Straphangers: HomegrownTerrorists)

Pat wrote:
I might hit a bit of
traffic in Binghamton but it's never to bad there.

That is one advantage of living in a place where the population is
declining . . . the infrastructure remains while the people leave.

Never once will I bitch about the subway or busses or Verizon in the
tunnels. Never once will I have the commute from hell.

If yu live where no one else wants to live, then there is no problem at
all. Check out the midwest US. People have been moving out of there for
decades. Lots of ghost towns. Makes for a wonderful commute, but to what
job? Those are gone, too.

I live in the Appalachians (Appalacia 'R Us) and get to drive through
the Catskills and the Adirondacks on a fairly regular bases. Who
could ask for anything more.

How about no snow? Ain't it a bitch when the plows haven't been there
yet? And when your car is in the ditch, there tends to be a bit of delay
involved there.
Old April 9th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Eric Vey

Amy Blankenship wrote:
"Martin Edwards" wrote in message
Tom Sherman wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
[...]
Ok, smartass, try living in Lafayette for a week without a car.
Southern Comfort my ass.
Where is Lafayette and why would I even want to remotely consider
living there?

Tu ne sais rien de ta patrie.
Where is Lafayette Canada, then?

Sorry, my bad. I was referring to Lafayette, La. I know quite a bit
about francophone Canada. I watch Téléjournal nearly every day on the
French channel TV5.

I think probably Atlanta is the only Southern city with a decent transit
system.

The Miami-Dade system tends to come and go by decades. Right now, it
isn't so bad.
Old April 9th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Amy Blankenship

"Eric Vey" wrote in message
Amy Blankenship wrote:
"Martin Edwards" wrote in message
Tom Sherman wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
[...]
Ok, smartass, try living in Lafayette for a week without a car.
Southern Comfort my ass.
Where is Lafayette and why would I even want to remotely consider
living there?

Tu ne sais rien de ta patrie.
Where is Lafayette Canada, then?

Sorry, my bad. I was referring to Lafayette, La. I know quite a bit
about francophone Canada. I watch Téléjournal nearly every day on the
French channel TV5.

I think probably Atlanta is the only Southern city with a decent transit
system.

The Miami-Dade system tends to come and go by decades. Right now, it isn't
so bad.

I have been known to want to have pets with me. Miami is about the most pet
unfriendly place I have ever experienced in my life. Hence, I don't go
there and know little about it ;-)

Old April 9th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Miles Bader[_2_]

Default DC Metro

"Amy Blankenship" writes:
Miami is about the most pet unfriendly place I have ever experienced
in my life.

?

-Miles

--
Helpmate, n. A wife, or bitter half.

Old April 10th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Martin Edwards wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
[...]
Ok, smartass, try living in Lafayette for a week without a car.
Southern Comfort my ass.

Where is Lafayette and why would I even want to remotely consider
living there?

Tu ne sais rien de ta patrie.

Where is Lafayette Canada, then?

Sorry, my bad. I was referring to Lafayette, La. I know quite a bit
about francophone Canada. I watch Téléjournal nearly every day on the
French channel TV5.

I first thought of Lafayette, Indiana - home of Purdue University which
I believe is some sort of junior college.

As for the Gulf Coast, it might be tolerable in winter [1], but is not
fit for human occupation the rest of the time. The heat and humidity in
the Upper Midwest is bad enough.

[1] Although the 121 inches of snow this winter did not bother me too much.

Old April 10th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Eric Vey wrote:
Pat wrote:
I might hit a bit of
traffic in Binghamton but it's never to bad there.

That is one advantage of living in a place where the population is
declining . . . the infrastructure remains while the people leave.

Never once will I bitch about the subway or busses or Verizon in the
tunnels. Never once will I have the commute from hell.

If yu live where no one else wants to live, then there is no problem at
all. Check out the midwest US. People have been moving out of there for
decades. Lots of ghost towns. Makes for a wonderful commute, but to what
job? Those are gone, too.

butbutbut, we have lots of Holstein-Friesian cows! What more could one want?

Old April 10th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

On Apr 9, 9:53*am, Eric Vey wrote:
Pat wrote:

* I might hit a bit of

traffic in Binghamton but it's never to bad there. *

That is one advantage of living in a place where the population is
declining . . . the infrastructure remains while the people leave.

I was there last summer in such a rain storm that it washed the
expressway away. 6" hunks of concrete were washing down the road.
Pretty amazing to see. The infrastructure didn't remain in place.
But they rebuilt it pretty quick.

Never once will I bitch about the subway or busses or Verizon in the
tunnels. *Never once will I have the commute from hell.

If yu live where no one else wants to live, then there is no problem at
all. Check out the midwest US. People have been moving out of there for
decades. Lots of ghost towns. Makes for a wonderful commute, but to what
job? Those are gone, too.

I live in the Appalachians (Appalacia 'R Us) and get to drive through
the Catskills and the Adirondacks on a fairly regular bases. *Who
could ask for anything more.

How about no snow? Ain't it a bitch when the plows haven't been there
yet? And when your car is in the ditch, there tends to be a bit of delay
involved there.

If there wasn't any snow, then how could the kids go snowboarding?
Duh. Not enough snow is more of a problem. Better to turn on the
heat in the winter than to turn on the AC in the summer. I don't even
have AC in my house (but it's nice in the car).

Old April 10th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

On Apr 9, 9:06*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Eric Vey wrote:
Pat wrote:
*I might hit a bit of
traffic in Binghamton but it's never to bad there. *

That is one advantage of living in a place where the population is
declining . . . the infrastructure remains while the people leave.

Never once will I bitch about the subway or busses or Verizon in the
tunnels. *Never once will I have the commute from hell.

If yu live where no one else wants to live, then there is no problem at
all. Check out the midwest US. People have been moving out of there for
decades. Lots of ghost towns. Makes for a wonderful commute, but to what
job? Those are gone, too.

butbutbut, we have lots of Holstein-Friesian cows! What more could one want?

Yeah, there are lots of Holsteins around. I think one won the blue
ribbon at the county fair last year. A week later is was in the
grocery store. The ribbon and a photo of it receiving a ribbon was
right there in the meat case.

Old April 10th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat, non farmer?, wrote:
On Apr 9, 9:06 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Eric Vey wrote:
Pat wrote:
[...]

Holstein-Friesians are a dairy breed, not a beef breed. Sheesh!