Why heckling Page is Fair Game

Old December 30th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Default Why heckling Page is Fair Game

Paul G. wrote:

"Fighting words" is a legal concept with the blessing of the Supreme
Court. Calling someone's mother a whore would be a good example. You
can actually punch someone for that. But you can't keep punching them,
kick them in the head, etc. Being drunk does not mean it's OK to
assault someone.

Never said it was. You have no argument here.

Book was not responsible for crowd control or security. He made it his
business. BAD DECISION. Your ability to excuse his vigilante cowboy
routine is crazy. It's not nothing. You shouldn't blow it off as though
it is.

You DO have **** for brains! What Book did was unwise. What McAnus
did was an assault.

What somebody did was assault. Odds are, you are correct and it was
McAninch. That would meet with my expectations of belligerent drunks.
But it's still a presumption.

There is a world of difference between those two.
It's not nothing. You shouldn't blow it off as though it is.

I'm not blowing it off. I'm saying Book's actions are Book's. He's
responsible for his actions regardless of whatever McAninch did.

Earlier you said what he did was stupid. Stick with that, because it was.

You big, ****ing, REPUBLICAN!

Heh heh! Now THERE are some fighting words!
-Paul

Yeah, it was fun typing that at you. Seems like more people in RBR
should identify with McAninch, since we mostly heckle each other all the
time.
Old December 30th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Amit Ghosh wrote:
i work in a high stress environment where heckling and verbal
abuse can be at a level that would wither 90% of people. thin skinned
crybabies that can't adapt just end up leaving.

You get paid to post to rbr ?

He's a high school teacher.

Proof of why high school testing is showing a sharp drop in knowledge?

Old December 30th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Fred Fredburger wrote:
Yeah, it was fun typing that at you. Seems like more people in RBR should
identify with McAninch, since we mostly heckle each other all the time.

And most of us don't even have the excuse of being drunk.

Old December 30th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

Bill C wrote:
On Dec 30, 2:29 am, Amit Ghosh wrote:

there is a line that can be crossed, but when you do cross that line
it can get you arrested eg. intoxicated in public, assault, vandalism,
creating a disturbance. just being disparaging isn't crossing that
line.- Hide quoted text -

Amit we don't know, and never will whether that line was crossed
because the Page folks went vigilante. Those types of things are
judgement calls by the cop. I've seen **** much less get people locked
up, and much more allowed to go on. MB wants something clear cut here,
and the only thing in it is that the Page folks made physical contact,
and that's battery. An official could've asked him to stop because he
was still a licensed racer on event grounds during an event, if he
didn't comply he could be suspended, fined, etc.., or they could've
gotten a cop, either way they screwed the pooch on it. Fred's got his
priorities right on this one, in that the assault is a much more
serious matter than the drunken heckler.
Bill C

I did a quick search of the nationals results and couldn't find
McAninch's name listed anywhere, so he may not have been there in any
official USAC capacity.

I'd have to check further, but under those conditions I don't think USAC
could do anything to McAninch that they couldn't do to an unlicensed
spectator.
Old December 30th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Bill C wrote:
[...]

You are correct. USAC wouldn't suspend McAninch anyway because they don't
want to drag Page and his wife and the rest of the Manson Family into a
hearing and expose the nasty details.

Page's career is a write-off anyway now that he hop-skotched out of the dope
test. Time to sell the camper in Belgium to some English soccer hooligans.

We will never see Page race again. Page will likely start up a cyclocross
coaching business once he gets fired at Burger King and charge his
delusional followers $200/month so they can go on to make $250/month in
prize money.

Magilla

Old December 30th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

On Dec 30, 1:36*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:

I'd have to check further, but under those conditions I don't think USAC
could do anything to McAninch that they couldn't do to an unlicensed
spectator.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting question Carl. Even if he wasn't racing that day he is a
licensed racer and subject to those rules at one of their events. This
is something I'll have to bring up at the winter officials meeting
this year. I'd drop a couple of E-mails but I'm betting that noone
would touch this until they absolutely have to. I'd lean towards Mc A
could be held accountable just by virtue of being a license holder at
an event regardless of whether he raced or not that day. I know we've
done it with helmets.
Bill C
Old December 30th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Bill C wrote:
I'd drop a couple of E-mails but I'm betting that noone would touch this
until they absolutely have to. I'd lean towards Mc A could be held
accountable just by virtue of being a license holder at an event
regardless of whether he raced or not that day. I know we've done it with
helmets.

If Page had been wearing a helmet none of this would have happened.

Old December 30th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

MagillaGorilla wrote:
Page's career is a write-off anyway now that he hop-skotched out of the
dope test. Time to sell the camper in Belgium to some English soccer
hooligans.

If you can beat them up, sell to them.

And on a related note:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/dec/29/steven-gerrard-arrest-liverpool

Old December 30th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Dec 29, 11:29*pm, Amit Ghosh wrote:

there is a line that can be crossed, but when you do cross that line
it can get you arrested eg. intoxicated in public, assault, vandalism,
creating a disturbance. just being disparaging isn't crossing that
line.

Exactly. It may be stupid to bellow insults at someone during an
interview, or to ask/tell someone to stop bellowing insults during
interview, but those are not crimes. Assaulting people and damaging
property ARE crimes.
-Paul

Old December 30th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Dec 30, 1:12*am, Donald Munro wrote:
Paul G. wrote:
Anyone who wants to destroy cyclocross should behave as Monkey Boy
advocates. *I wouldn't be surprised if the sponsors of McAnus's team and
the event are not pleased with his antics. *If the school board of his
district hears about it, he might even lose his job. Actions have
consequences.

Au Contraire, if they had regular after race fights the Nascar fans
would all flock to cyclocross races.

Hey, or soccer fans! I look forward to headlines about "Bicycle
Hooligans".
-Paul

Page Page Page Page Page!!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah Baby!!!!!! Joe King Racing 20 January 1st 07 05:18 AM
Fair Is Fair B. Lafferty Racing 3 June 17th 06 03:17 AM
Not just cyclists in Dallas....everyone is fair game. mrbubl General 6 May 24th 06 02:16 AM
Cycling Game - Free Game For Cycling Fans! ]oxo[ Racing 2 December 28th 04 09:34 AM
Not fair! M. Wehrmann Racing 12 July 22nd 03 04:50 AM