Why heckling Page is Fair Game

Old December 30th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Default Why heckling Page is Fair Game

Donald Munro wrote:
Fred Fredburger wrote:
Yeah, it was fun typing that at you. Seems like more people in RBR should
identify with McAninch, since we mostly heckle each other all the time.

And most of us don't even have the excuse of being drunk.

I have no idea who you're talking about.
Old December 30th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Amit Ghosh wrote:
i work in a high stress environment where heckling and verbal
abuse can be at a level that would wither 90% of people. thin skinned
crybabies that can't adapt just end up leaving.

You get paid to post to rbr ?

He's a high school teacher.

He ought to switch to stand up comedy. The crowds are easier.
Old December 30th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Paul G. wrote:
On Dec 29, 11:29 pm, Amit Ghosh wrote:
there is a line that can be crossed, but when you do cross that line
it can get you arrested eg. intoxicated in public, assault, vandalism,
creating a disturbance. just being disparaging isn't crossing that
line.

Exactly. It may be stupid to bellow insults at someone during an
interview, or to ask/tell someone to stop bellowing insults during
interview, but those are not crimes. Assaulting people and damaging
property ARE crimes.

That's a reasonable enough distinction.
Old December 30th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Dec 30, 12:39*pm, Donald Munro wrote:
Bill C wrote:
I'd drop a couple of E-mails but I'm betting that noone would touch this
until they absolutely have to. I'd lean towards Mc A could be held
accountable just by virtue of being a license holder at an event
regardless of whether he raced or not that day. I know we've done it with
helmets.

If Page had been wearing a helmet none of this would have happened.

I dunno about that... here is the blow by blow description of the
OTHER fight at KC. Enjoy!

Myerson described how the incident with Baker unfolded. "We were just
reconnecting to the front group on the descent, and were both still in
around 10th or 11th spot," he told Cyclingnews. "Baker had just passed
me at the top of the hill, and then crashed in the turn on the descent
in front of me, and I T-boned him."

As the two riders tried to get back up to resume racing they found
their bikes were tangled together, and in the adrenaline-fueled moment
tensions rose. "I absolutely told Baker he was an asshole. ... I was
muttering to myself as much as I was yelling at him as I was trying to
untangle our bikes. His response to me was that I was an asshole, or
something to that effect, for crashing into him while he was on the
ground."

"Then Baker jumped up, his rear wheel was hooked in my handlebars. He
kept pulling his bike away and pulling my bike with him, while I was
trying to pull his wheel out of my bars. That's where much of the
yelling was happening."

Some witness reports said that Myerson pushed Baker, but Myerson
denied this. "I finally was able to pull his wheel back enough to
unhook us, but he was also pulling the other way. When I pushed our
bikes apart and let go of his wheel, he took a step backwards with his
bike. I only ever had his wheel in my hand. I never touched him, or
pushed him."

"I was putting my bike down on the ground and getting ready to get
back on when he dropped his bike, took a few steps toward me winding
up, and punched me in the head as I was turning away from him to
remount. Obviously I had my helmet on and it didn't cause any damage,
but I was pretty shocked.

"I put down my first instinct to tackle him and simply responded with
'Are you crazy? You're going to get suspended!'," Myerson said.
Old December 30th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

Bill C wrote:
I'd drop a couple of E-mails but I'm betting that noone would touch this
until they absolutely have to. I'd lean towards Mc A could be held
accountable just by virtue of being a license holder at an event
regardless of whether he raced or not that day. I know we've done it with
helmets.

If Page had been wearing a helmet none of this would have happened.

I dunno about that... here is the blow by blow description of the
OTHER fight at KC. Enjoy!

*Myerson described how the incident with Baker unfolded.

Same guy got punched in the head back in 2000. The consequences for
the puncher were seve
http://www.kenpapai.com/cycling/rbr/adamsStitches.html
Old December 30th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul G.

On Dec 30, 12:31*pm, Bill C wrote:
On Dec 30, 1:36*pm, Carl Sundquist wrote:

I'd have to check further, but under those conditions I don't think USAC
could do anything to McAninch that they couldn't do to an unlicensed
spectator.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting question Carl. Even if he wasn't racing that day he is a
licensed racer and subject to those rules at one of their events.

From elsewhe
USAC Rulebook. Interesting...

1O5. Abuse.
(a) No rider or licensee may be disrespectful toward
organizers, officials, riders or spectators [warning for minor
offense; possible relegation of rider; and/or up to a $50 fine].
(b) No rider or licensee may use foul or abusive language or
conduct during a race event [disqualification and 15 days
suspension].
(c) No licensee may assault (an unlawful attempt, coupled
with the present ability, to commit a violent injury on the
person of another) or do battery (any willful and unlawful use
of force or violence upon the person of another) to anyone
connected with any event (including but not limited to riders,
officials, spectators, public officials, etc...) held under a USA
Cycling permit. [disqualified from the event, prohibited from
participating in another event for 72 hours & suspended for
up to one (1) year after due process]

-Paul
Old December 31st 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:54:07 -0800 (PST), "Paul G."
wrote:

From elsewhe
USAC Rulebook. Interesting...

1O5. Abuse.
(a) No rider or licensee may be disrespectful toward
organizers, officials, riders or spectators [warning for minor
offense; possible relegation of rider; and/or up to a $50 fine].

I got DQ'd on that once
Old December 31st 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

You guys are worse than the Lance Fans -- zero racing content other
than this stuff today.

Lame.

Could we talk about something else. Tour of the Battenkill entry fees?
Or Kirsten Armstrong's ride at world's RR or something.

Thanks,
Old December 31st 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bill C

Bill C wrote:
[...]

He's legendary for still talking or making noise even when everyone's
totally anaerobic and dieing. He really is totally harmless, and would
never swing at anyone. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more
nonviolent.
I don't have any personal experiences because there's no way in hell
I'm gonne be with him when he's hammering unless I'm on a motorcycle,
but there are a million stories that start with " I can't ****ing
believe he was talking when..." insert a balls out climb, interval,
sprint, cross hot lap, whatever here...
Bill C
Old December 31st 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
"Paul G." wrote:

On Dec 29, 5:04*pm, Fred Fredburger
wrote:
Bill C wrote:
On Dec 29, 6:10 pm, Amit Ghosh wrote:

dumbass,

i am sick of these "emotional" tough guys like phil moore and kunich
who want to beat up people who insult them on the internet.

these are the same types of guys that get into shoving matches at
bars, stalk ex-girlfriends and eventually put a barrel of a shotgun in
their mouth.

I'm also sick of loud mothed assholes screaming out garbage,
disrupting others people's right to speak, ruining others people's
events to stroke their sad little egos. Your right to be an asshole
ends at my right to conduct my life and business. I'd love to come up
there where I'm guessing you teach some classes and scream throught
them about how you plagiarized a bunch of your papers, insinuate you
molest little boys, and all kinds of other garbage with NO
repercussions for my actions at all.
*A race, like any other sanctioned sporting event is controlled by the
organizing body, it's not a public area. It's a private event where
the public is allowed access. With that come certain standards of
behavior, especially where they could damage the product, as this
asshole did.
*Bill C

Behaving like a civilized human being is a good thing. But it's also
cool for people to grow the **** up and quit taking offense at every
little thing. In the KC incident, nothing McAnus said or did excuses
violence on the part of the Page Clan.

The fact that so many of you absolve the Page Clan of responsibility for
the fight they willingly participated in IS CRAZY. The fight caused far
more damage to the sport than 50 hecklers would have.

You usually seem like a reasonable guy. Where are you getting this
idea that the Page Clan "willingly participated" in the fight? They
unwisely confronted McAnus about disrupting the interview, but that is
hardly "willingly participating" in the fight.

Maybe they were annoying. Maybe Book actually did touch McAnus. None
of that excuses the assault shown in the video, or changes the fact
that Book is CLEARLY NOT a willing participant. He's shown lying on
his back and trying to get away, while McAnus and his pal repeatedly
go after him.

Marquess of Queensberry rules? This is a fight.
Get the other guy down and keep him down until he pules.

--
Michael Press

Page Page Page Page Page!!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah Baby!!!!!! Joe King Racing 20 January 1st 07 05:18 AM
Fair Is Fair B. Lafferty Racing 3 June 17th 06 03:17 AM
Not just cyclists in Dallas....everyone is fair game. mrbubl General 6 May 24th 06 02:16 AM
Cycling Game - Free Game For Cycling Fans! ]oxo[ Racing 2 December 28th 04 09:34 AM
Not fair! M. Wehrmann Racing 12 July 22nd 03 04:50 AM