Why heckling Page is Fair Game

Old December 31st 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Why heckling Page is Fair Game

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in message

It's harmless, unless someone decides to be an
even bigger ass.

Well, you're certainly the expert at that.

Old December 31st 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

" wrote in message

USAC suspended Mercer after he clubbed Myerson,
and nobody had a problem with that.

There's a difference between competitors fighting and some sideline jerk
purposely starting a fight usually because he's too drunk to know what the
hell he's doing.

But USAC's rules don't trump free expression
by spectators. Spectators should behave
themselves because we live in a civilized
society and all that. However, the sidewalk
at a race is still a more open forum than, for
example, the stands at a football game.

Screaming insults in a direct attempt to disturb an interview is another
matter altogether.

And ....so what kind of "matter" is it? What's your point?

Magilla

Old December 31st 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Tom Kunich wrote:
High school testing has shown that only a third of high school students
can read to their grade levels. Math is preposterous. The No Child Left
Behind testing scores are now being hidden by local school boards mostly
out of abject embarrassment.

It would be an improvement if American schools taught pupils that
lose is not spelled loose and a loser is not a looser.
Old December 31st 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

Proof of why high school testing is showing a sharp drop in knowledge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

High school testing has shown that only a third of high school students can
read to their grade levels. Math is preposterous. The No Child Left Behind
testing scores are now being hidden by local school boards mostly out of
abject embarrassment.

Not that I carry any water for the US public school system, but it may
fairly be pointed out that my parents' generation is the first that even
tried to make high school graduation the expected norm. I think my
grandfathers both graduated from high school, but I'd have to ask.

The result is there are now kids in high school that are underperforming
instead of dropping out. Good, bad...either way, it makes for
ugly-looking stats.

The US school system has not stood in the way of the US students, who
continue to go on to higher education at substantial rates, and the US
continues to have a huge number of top-tier universities.

But the real problem is the wildly different outcomes and performance in
various school districts, often unrelated to the actual per-student
budget of the school district.

Old December 31st 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

The US school system has not stood in the way of the US students, who
continue to go on to higher education at substantial rates, and the US
continues to have a huge number of top-tier universities.

Ryan, the problem is that the average intelligence and education of American
citizens is falling and that leaves more and more room for these people to
be taken advantage of by politicians who would turn totalitarian at the drop
of a hat (note Barney Frank etc.)

Old January 1st 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

The US school system has not stood in the way of the US students, who
continue to go on to higher education at substantial rates, and the US
continues to have a huge number of top-tier universities.

Ryan, the problem is that the average intelligence and education of American
citizens is falling and that leaves more and more room for these people to
be taken advantage of by politicians who would turn totalitarian at the
drop of a hat (note Barney Frank etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Ryan, of course Tom is wrong to state that "the average intelligence and education
of American citizens is falling," but you're probably smart to not take issue with
the other thing he's wrong about: every other word in that graf.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old January 1st 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

The US school system has not stood in the way of the US students, who
continue to go on to higher education at substantial rates, and the US
continues to have a huge number of top-tier universities.

Ryan, the problem is that the average intelligence and education of
American
citizens is falling and that leaves more and more room for these people
be taken advantage of by politicians who would turn totalitarian at the
drop
of a hat (note Barney Frank etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

Ryan, I don't think you understand what that appears to say. Note in that
article, "Test scores are certainly going up all over the world, but whether
intelligence itself has risen remains controversial," and "Teasdale and Owen
(1987), for example, found the effect primarily reduced the number of
low-end scores, resulting in a pile up of moderately high scores, with no
increase in very high scores".

You have to understand that teachers are being pressed to bring up the
scores of the low-end students. And so they do. How? IQ tests don't actually
test IQ. They test a child's integration into the present society. That's
why older person's IQ tests show a marked drop-off with age whereas
children's scores increase each decade almost in sync with the amount of TV
they watch.

Old January 1st 09, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
"Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
Donald Munro wrote:

Amit Ghosh wrote:
i work in a high stress environment where heckling and verbal
abuse can be at a level that would wither 90% of people. thin skinned
crybabies that can't adapt just end up leaving.

You get paid to post to rbr ?

He's a high school teacher.

Proof of why high school testing is showing a sharp drop in knowledge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect

I would need to increase my IQ by 50 just to
know what the hell they are talking about.
You know some drugs for that?

--
Michael Press
Old January 1st 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
MagillaGorilla wrote:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

On Dec 31, 12:36*am, "
wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:00*am, Bill C wrote:

Sorry Ben you're wrong on what could happen at a race.
*McA was, and is a licensed racer, at a USAC event, an official
could've done anything up to having him removed and suspended. It's
not routine, but happens commonly that riders are warned for their
language where spectators, or press can hear it, and can be, and have
been fined for it. If he didn't stop that gets into disregarding an
Officials order and that's another can of worms. We go through this
with helmets all the time. If you hold a license, and are at an event,
you MUST wear a helmet at all times, not just when you are racing,
same goes for the rest of the code of conduct. Generally an official
is not going to go looking for this stuff, but during a post race
interview, which is clearly part of the event, they would become
involved.
*That goes along with having signed the contract for your license,
same as the doping stuff. Mc A was both liable for action both under
the USAC rulebook, and under the civil police. As were the Pages.
Gonna be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
*There's the "penalize the person who caused the issue" theory, and
then there's the "What's more serious" theory, but either way USAC
should, based on past performance, issue some suspensions here at a
minimum. The only thing that might save them was that none of this was
apparently witnessed by an official.
*Bill C
*Bill C

Yes but your role in the blue-blazer mafia
is to protect the sport, not the "product" as in
the promoter's publicity interests. *I know that
is a fine distinction, but it is there. *You can
sanction a licensed rider for peeing on
somebody's lawn (which is a far greater harm
to the sport than heckling interviews). *USAC
suspended Mercer after he clubbed Myerson,
and nobody had a problem with that.

But USAC's rules don't trump free expression
by spectators. *Spectators should behave
themselves because we live in a civilized
society and all that. *However, the sidewalk
at a race is still a more open forum than, for
example, the stands at a football game.
That is all that I was saying.

In the stands at a football game they say a lot worse than the "screw
you and your momma" that McAnich was yelling.

Much, much worse.

It's harmless, unless someone decides to be an even bigger ass.

Notice how you don't see the wives of baseball players trying to suppress all
the hecklers at every game. This is not uncharted waters.

Did y'all see this one?
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6012599/

--
Michael Press

Page Page Page Page Page!!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah Baby!!!!!! Joe King Racing 20 January 1st 07 05:18 AM
Fair Is Fair B. Lafferty Racing 3 June 17th 06 03:17 AM
Not just cyclists in Dallas....everyone is fair game. mrbubl General 6 May 24th 06 02:16 AM
Cycling Game - Free Game For Cycling Fans! ]oxo[ Racing 2 December 28th 04 09:34 AM
Not fair! M. Wehrmann Racing 12 July 22nd 03 04:50 AM