So you think you can do a decent trackstand?

Old November 15th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default So you think you can do a decent trackstand?

I stumbled across this fellow in the New York Times archives and
tracked him down:

http://www.showhistory.com/Kilpatric...edBicycle.html

Here's a typical newspaper announcement:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...9C94 679ED7CF

On an unrelated note, note the "brake" bridge with no hole that
connects the seat stays in the circus picture.

As far as I know, the equipment pre-dates rear caliper brakes, and the
seat-stays in the picture are much too wide to trap a tire, the two
usual explanations for such bridges. It may be worth looking into old
pictures to see how early seat-stay and chain-stay bridges appeared.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 15th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:05:05 -0700, wrote:

I stumbled across this fellow in the New York Times archives and
tracked him down:

http://www.showhistory.com/Kilpatric...edBicycle.html

Here's a typical newspaper announcement:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...9C94 679ED7CF

On an unrelated note, note the "brake" bridge with no hole that
connects the seat stays in the circus picture.

As far as I know, the equipment pre-dates rear caliper brakes, and the
seat-stays in the picture are much too wide to trap a tire, the two
usual explanations for such bridges. It may be worth looking into old
pictures to see how early seat-stay and chain-stay bridges appeared.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

"Brake" bridges turn out to be commonplace on pre-caliper safeties:

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic12v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic13v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic15v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic21v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...neumatic2v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...neumatic3v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...neumatic5v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...neumatic9v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic17v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic26v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...ws/sherman.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...s/child10v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...s/child14v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...s/child15v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...ws/child5v.jpg

These pictures make me wonder if the "brake" bridge was originally a
fender bridge:

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic14v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...eumatic24v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...neumatic4v.jpg

http://www.thewheelmen.org/sections/...neumatic8v.jpg

Regrettably, none of the pictures show if there's a corresponding
bridge between the chain-stays, so now I have to look for those.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 15th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Looking for bridges between chain-stays in old pictures is
frustrating.

Here, Major Taylor covers the area in question:

http://i8.tinypic.com/4katr9f.jpg

Here's the first example that I've found, a shaft-drive with a bridge
connecting the chain-stays:

http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/pre1920...e%20ladies.jpg

A similar shaft-drive with the same kind of bridge:

http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/pre1920...ft%20drive.jpg

And another 1902 shaft-drive with chain-stay bridge:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1630.htm

I doubt that any of these shaft-drive bikes had their rear wheels move
forward for removal.

This old shaft drive had no chain-stay bridge, but certainly had an
odd seat-stay bridge:

http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/bicycle...0drive%204.jpg

A normal chain-drive 1910's bike with both bridges:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1483.htm

I can't tell if the bridges are actually used to attach the fender,
but the upper bridge is curved to fit the fender.

Here's an 1890's girl's bike with chain-stay bridge beyond the fender:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1725.htm

An 1890's board-track racer with both bridges:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1732.htm

In contrast, an 1894 Pope model 36 with neither bridge:

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle403.htm

This 1897 wooden frame has some pathetic bridges that seem intended
for the fenders:

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle404.htm

An 1899 G&J Rambler with both bridges:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...r+orig+1%2Ejpg

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...r+orig+5%2Ejpg

This weird 1900's Eagle has a seat-stay bridge:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1757.htm

I _think_ that it also has a chain-stay bridge--or maybe two of them,
since it has four chain-stays:

http://www.nostalgic.net/pictures/1758.htm

One chain-stay bridge might be to keep the tire from somehow getting
jammed (unlikely, since the old-fashioned axles come out backward),
but _two_ chain-stay bridges seems like an effort (possibly misguided)
to reinforce things.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 15th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
I stumbled across this fellow in the New York Times archives and
tracked him down:

http://www.showhistory.com/Kilpatric...edBicycle.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Just one?
http://www.pacificvillage.org/villag...0on%20bike.JPG
-tom

Old November 15th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"Tom Nakashima" wrote:

wrote in message
I stumbled across this fellow in the New York Times archives and
tracked him down:

http://www.showhistory.com/Kilpatric...edBicycle.html

Just one?
http://www.pacificvillage.org/villag...0on%20bike.JPG

Appears to be forty spoke wheels.

--
Michael Press
Old November 15th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

A nice 1908 Iver Johnson track bike with both bridges, showing how the
rear wheel wouldn't be in any danger of moving forward and getting
jammed where the chain-stays narrow:

http://www.thecabe.com/arc/vintagero...20Track/i2.jpg

http://www.thecabe.com/arc/vintagero...20Track/i7.jpg

The arch under the top-tube suggests that the manufacturer may not
have understood frame bracing.

***

Here's an interesting view of one early design in which the "brake"
bridge might have made sense as a brace:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=40621&v=9S

Note that the down tube is also double on the 1892 Firefly.

***

Even artists were drawing the "brake" bridges before caliper brakes:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pics/...omers.jpg?v=BI

***

The 1898 Dursley Pedersen sports three obvious bridges, at least two
of them having no possible connection to any fender or brake:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...8_img/stor.jpg

Another view of the non-chain-stay bridges:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig...lindemann8.jpg

And yes, there's a chain-stay bridge lurking down there, for bracing
or for fender mounting:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig..._2_img/dp2.jpg

Again, the rear wheel was in no danger of being jammed too far forward
and caught in the frame:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig..._2_img/dp7.jpg

That's a Sturmey-Archer hub in the picture above, not the bizarre
Dursely Pedersen pear-shaped gear whose pear-shaped flanges gave
wheel-builders headaches:

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/orig..._img/gear1.jpg

http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/gear.html

***

Here's another example of how the bracing of the "brake" bridge might
have made sense on the frame of an 1895 no-rear-brake bicycle:

http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/...ans_vb_567.jpg

http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/...ans_vb_569.jpg

Obviously, bracing is a good idea for those splayed seat-stay tubes.

From the same site, a 1910 seat-stay bridge for bracing and fender and
luggage rack mounting and a chain-stay bridge for bracing and fender
mounting:

http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/...ans_vb_557.jpg

Again, bikes like these have no rear caliper brakes and their wheels
remove to the rear, with no chance of jamming forward between the
narrowing chain-tays.

***

A 1908 racer with both bridges:

http://www.museumsnett.no/ntm/no/sam.../kat78918a.jpg

***

A rather unusual bridge:

http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/anew/cycle5.jpg

***

An 1890 Pope shaft drive with chain-stay bridge, either for bracing or
mounting the fender:

http://rustyspokes.com/menu11/100.JPG

***

Here's an astonishing frame with _no_ bridges. Note that there's no
seat-tube, just a wooden fender braced by seat-stays:

http://i1.tinypic.com/73ka807.jpg

It's an 1891 Elliott ladies hickory from the Metz Museum. Note the
pedal-length adjustment slots, infinitely superior to our modern fixed
length cranks, the motorcycle-style master-link, the dainty front
fork, the naked headset resembling a high-wheeler, and the wooden
spokes that eliminate the stress-relief debate.

The dingus sticking down behind the crank that nearly touches the rear
tire is probably a primitive rear spoon brake whose connecting
mechanism is missing--there's a right hand brake lever, but no
provision for a front spoon brake.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel