Regional and School Buses!

Old June 13th 08, 12:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

Default Cycling not particularly dangerous

"Wilson" wrote

"Jon" wrote
[Burt Reynolds movie]

Tarantino admired the movie? Did he explain why or did he just leave it
hanging there?

I recognized the reference and googled the title. I only then
recalled seeing it, from the plot synopsis. The Tarantino
interview where he mentions it was one of the first page hits
in my Google query.

I take "it's been a long time since you last saw it" to mean
you've seen it more than once.

If so, probably on broadcast TV.
Perhaps not by choice! %^)

Have you ever known anyone who claimed BR was their
favorite actor? Just wondering.

A friend of mine really likes his movies. _Smokey and the
Bandit_, stuff, not excepted.

A decent fisher, actually. Decent bait selection. Reasonable
technique. Keep on posting,-- I'll take the bait when it strikes
my fancy. %^P

Perhaps good enough to get into Peter's kill file, but not in yours it
would seem.

Peter has been around a long time. Seems to me he's just
intelligently selective in reponding.

Aspiring to be kill-filed is not the sign of a talented fisher
in my esteem. Being dumb, or playing it is just uninteresting.
Being abusive and destructive is unremarkable. Contributing
on topic posts is a plus.

In this case, I really am interested in why people, particularly
recumbent cyclists, think cycling is "dangerous" or not.

I've had upright bike riders, for instance, tell me they think
recumbents are dangerous. Often they base their assessment
on just having heard about them, or perhaps only have seen
a picture... Rarely have they ridden one, and even more
rarely, have they ridden several different types for any
significant distance.

The basis of their concern is often height of the rider:
"You can't see over traffic." I point out they can't see
over SUVs and pickups.

They sometimes say, "You can't jump curbs and you
can't do track stands." True, but neither can some
upright riders, and not jumping curbs or doing track
stands hasn't been a safety issue for me.

They say, "Recumbents are slow not maneuverable." I
point out that my BikeE turning radius is similar to
their upright and I can ride a straight line at speeds
from 3 to 30+ mph. I point out bikes aren't slow,
riders are. %^)

If they're sophisicated, they say, "You have less time
to react when you're going down (lower center of gravity)
and less 'body english' control". That's true. But I
have less distance to fall. %^) And falling in my
experience on a recumbent puts hips in place of
shoulder, arms, wrists and hands in road contact...

Then I ask, "Would you prefer to crash head first or
feet first into an obstacle?" The over the handlebars
experience seems pretty specific to upright riding.

Jon

Old June 13th 08, 06:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
wilson

"Jon" wrote in message
"Wilson" wrote

"Jon" wrote
[Burt Reynolds movie]

Tarantino admired the movie? Did he explain why or did he just leave it
hanging there?

I recognized the reference and googled the title. I only then
recalled seeing it, from the plot synopsis. The Tarantino
interview where he mentions it was one of the first page hits
in my Google query.

I take "it's been a long time since you last saw it" to mean
you've seen it more than once.

If so, probably on broadcast TV.
Perhaps not by choice! %^)

Have you ever known anyone who claimed BR was their
favorite actor? Just wondering.

A friend of mine really likes his movies. _Smokey and the
Bandit_, stuff, not excepted.

I have some really old friends and we make it a point to get together at
least twice a year to watch a bad movie, share a pizza and a few beers, and
swap lies about our exciting lives. The 'mo worser the movie, the 'mo betta
the conversation. Most often its some Japanese monster thing, but WW and
the Dixie Dancekings show up there from time to time too. I occasionly like
to take the high road and provide my guests with a classic stinker such as
Shampoo from the mid-seventies. Gag.

[...]

I feel comfortable in town stop and go traffic on the Easy Racer. I feel
like I am a part of the traffic, being pretty much eye level with auto
drivers and sitting in the same position they are. I actually feel I get
some mortorcycle type respect from drivers based on the Easy Racer
configuration. Harley riders usually give me a nod which is more than I can
say for many conventional bike riders.

They sometimes say, "You can't jump curbs and you
can't do track stands." True, but neither can some
upright riders, and not jumping curbs or doing track
stands hasn't been a safety issue for me.

If I'm riding a mountain bike if traffic I like to think I can jump curbs
[kerbs], do track stands, and head for the ditch if need be. And maybe I
could, but I've never needed to. Dick Ryan's video of him riding his
Vanguard in Boston is interesting. I do not recommend riding a bike in
Boston traffic.

My cycling career has been clear of injury from a road bike/recumbent
standpoint. The only times I can remember going down were those embarrasing
can't get out of the clips fast enough falls in front of a crowd. But for a
brief time I got into single trac mountain bike riding. It was remarkable
in that I would be bleeding after just about every ride. I rode with a
small group which included a plastic surgeon. Over time he got work from
most of us. The irony is he had an over the bar face plant requiring more
plastic surgery than the rest of us put together. All of this was
definately guy stuff.

They say, "Recumbents are slow not maneuverable." I
point out that my BikeE turning radius is similar to
their upright and I can ride a straight line at speeds
from 3 to 30+ mph. I point out bikes aren't slow,
riders are. %^)

If they're sophisicated, they say, "You have less time
to react when you're going down (lower center of gravity)
and less 'body english' control". That's true. But I
have less distance to fall. %^) And falling in my
experience on a recumbent puts hips in place of
shoulder, arms, wrists and hands in road contact...

Then I ask, "Would you prefer to crash head first or
feet first into an obstacle?" The over the handlebars
experience seems pretty specific to upright riding.

For a while I lived in a hilly area where there was this exceptionally steep
hill on a county road. Four speed cars would have to gear down to second
gear to top the hill. It was a 55 mph downhill and on the GRR I never
uncomfortable doing it. But on an upright I would be imagining every little
thing that could possibly go wrong to toss me over the handlebars.

Old June 13th 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
wilson

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:cbmdnWqMT_QSUM_VnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"Wilson" wrote in message
[...]
I have some really old friends and we make it a point to get together at
least twice a year to watch a bad movie, share a pizza and a few beers,
and swap lies about our exciting lives. The 'mo worser the movie, the
'mo betta the conversation. Most often its some Japanese monster thing,
but WW and the Dixie Dancekings show up there from time to time too. I
occasionly like to take the high road and provide my guests with a
classic stinker such as Shampoo from the mid-seventies. Gag.

For the ultimate in bad movies get any of the Ingmar Bergman films. There
is
nothing worse in this world than a fine art film which bombs. It is the
same
with classical music. If it is bad, it is really bad. I give you any of
the symphonies
of Anton Bruckner as an example of the breed.
[...]

The idea here is to watch something so bad it's laughable - Bergman's a
downer.

My cycling career has been clear of injury from a road bike/recumbent
standpoint. The only times I can remember going down were those
embarrasing can't get out of the clips fast enough falls in front of a
crowd. But for a brief time I got into single trac mountain bike riding.
It was remarkable in that I would be bleeding after just about every
ride. I rode with a small group which included a plastic surgeon. Over
time he got work from most of us. The irony is he had an over the bar
face plant requiring more plastic surgery than the rest of us put
together. All of this was definately guy stuff.

The above is just plain STUPID guy stuff. If I hear any more stories like
this from you, I am going to have to report you to the Great Mike Vandeman
of RBS. He is Great like I am and does not brook any foolishness.
[...]

But I am reformed. All that bleeding convinced me I was on the wrong path
and I turned in my aluminum mt. bike frame to be recycled into beer cans.
No need to interupt Vandeman's important work to get him involved in this
bit of ancient history.

So Ed did you ever do any guy stuff.....you know...before you had to become
a Great Saint?

For a while I lived in a hilly area where there was this exceptionally
steep hill on a county road. Four speed cars would have to gear down to
second gear to top the hill. It was a 55 mph downhill and on the GRR I
never uncomfortable doing it. But on an upright I would be imagining
every little thing that could possibly go wrong to toss me over the
handlebars.

Nope, 55 mph is way too fast on any kind of bike. And I thought you were
sensible like me. Ed Dolan stands alone in His Greatness after all!

Not too fast for the best handling long wheel base bike in the known
universe.......

Old June 13th 08, 10:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_5_]

Default Movies to kick back and drink beer to (was) Cycling not particularly dangerous

The idea here is to watch something so bad it's laughable - Bergman's a
downer.

May I recommend "Liquid Sky"? it is soooo close to being art, but it sooo
far away from being art. it would have been a perfect candidate for MST3K.

gotbent aka FRVT rider

Old June 14th 08, 01:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"gotbent" wrote in message

Wilson wrote:

The idea here is to watch something so bad it's laughable - Bergman's a
downer.

May I recommend "Liquid Sky"? it is soooo close to being art, but it sooo
far away from being art. it would have been a perfect candidate for MST3K.

The Andy Warhol films are all hilarious, especially when he is trying to be
sexy. What a perfect freak he was.

By the way, did "No Country for Old Men" make any sense to anyone? What a
mess that was! I much prefer a film like "Into the Wild" which I thought was
well done even though it lacked the commentary of Jon Krakauer. The only
mistake Chris made was not planning on the spring runoff which prevented him
from retracing his steps. He was not in the least suicidal. He just made a
mistake that any hiker and camper could have made. Chris McCandless was a
kindred spirit to me. Every young man should have an adventure like he did,
but without the tragic ending of course.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 14th 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
wilson

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Wilson" wrote in message
. ..

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:cbmdnWqMT_QSUM_VnZ2dnUVZ_gSdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"Wilson" wrote in message
[...]
[...]

Even so some of those Bergman films where you just have closeups of faces
staring at one another or at nothing are pretty funny.

I know. But I'm looking for movies you don't really have to really follow
to find laughable. The movies from the seventies are great for that. It
only takes a glance to notice the leisure suits or the funny hair. And if
you want to pay more attention then there's what has turned out to be the
really stupid sexual behavior of the seventies, the Watergate politics etc.
It was a funny decade in a self deprecationg kind of way.

[...]

Yes, you are right. The Great Mike Vandeman has much more important work
to do. It is best to leave him free to do it.

So Ed did you ever do any guy stuff.....you know...before you had to
become a Great Saint?

I was one of this world's champion hikers, sometime 15 miles a day and
this was in the mountains. I did that for some 10 years all over the
country on almost a daily basis when I was in my 30's. I don't think I
ever did anything dangerous, but hikers get into trouble all the time for
one reason or another. I never was a strong person, so I had to take care
of myself. Hells Bells, if I had known I was going to live so long, I
would have taken better care of myself.

Ah you were a professional hiker. Very good.
When I was in my thirties I wanted to be a professional bicycle tourist and
photographer. I was unable to find sponsorship. Or more correctly,
sponsorship was unable to find me.

By the way, just plain riding your bike for many miles is basically a guy
thing. Kids and women are only into just quite short rides if truth be
told.

It has been my observation that women seem perfectly suited to long distance
riding. Perhaps moreso than men.

For a while I lived in a hilly area where there was this exceptionally
steep hill on a county road. Four speed cars would have to gear down
to second gear to top the hill. It was a 55 mph downhill and on the
GRR I never uncomfortable doing it. But on an upright I would be
imagining every little thing that could possibly go wrong to toss me
over the handlebars.

Nope, 55 mph is way too fast on any kind of bike. And I thought you were
sensible like me. Ed Dolan stands alone in His Greatness after all!

Not too fast for the best handling long wheel base bike in the known
universe.......

Yes, I agree with you. I would only attempt that kind of speed on a Tour
Easy myself. But even so, at those speeds you have to make sure that you
have a clear shot at the road ... no sharp curves, a smooth surface and no
debris on the road. Most accidents occur from going too fast downhill,
never from going uphill.

Yes that was the situation. Two lane county road, hardly any traffic, a
fairly short but verrry steep hill, a straight shot down, and then about a
mile of straight rolling moderate descent. Fifty five mph was my fastest
recorded terminal speed, obtained only for a second or so and then run out
for in rolling terrain. If you wanted to get yourself fully awake in the
morning or re-awakened after work what could be better? Or you could always
make the climb if the mood struck.

Old June 15th 08, 10:03 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default Kooks

"The Original Demon Prince of Absurdity"
n wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:52:11 -0500, Edward Dolan did the cha-cha, and
screamed:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote...

gibberish deleted

You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock.
You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You clouted boggish
foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless
crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You
cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry ****head cockup
pratting
naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted
fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

****ing Regards,

Old June 15th 08, 10:44 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
The God of Odd Statements, Henry Schmidt

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:03:31 -0500, Edward Dolan did most oddly state:
n wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:52:11 -0500, Edward Dolan did the cha-cha, and
screamed:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote...

gibberish deleted

You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off,
pillock. You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You
clouted boggish foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker.
You gormless crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole
ponce. You cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry ****head
cockup pratting
naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted
fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

****ing Regards,

So, friends for years, then.

Hail Eris! mhm 29x21; TM#5; Chung Convict #28; Usenet Ruiner #5
Demon Lord of Confusion; Official Chung Demon; Top Asshole #3
COOSN-029-06-71069; Most Hated Usenetizen of All Time #13; Lits Slut #16
Gutter Chix0r #17; BowTie's Spuriously Accused Pedo Photographer #4
AUK Psycho & Felon #21; Parrot & Zombie #2; AUK Hate Machine Cog #19
Anonymous Psycho Criminal #18
The posting nym is best removed from my posting address if your goal is
to speak with me in private.
Supreme High Overlord of rec.radio.*
Chuck Lysaght: Tarred & Feathered!
"Atheists are people who have no invisible means of support"
Join my RuneScape clan!
http://z11.invisionfree.com/Holy_Pre...abal/index.php
Full name of clan: Cabal of the Holy International Discordian Internet
And Usenet Terrorist Pretzel

"I know how you special busboys are.
You're crazy." -- John "special busboy" Wentzky, in Message-ID:

"Roe V Wade has zero bearing on my existence other than it affects it
adversely."
-- Johnny Wentzky never had much truck with "logic". Message-ID:

"Fredbot == SameAsB4 == TGOOS

"You are stalking me, even after I thrashed ya." -- PorchMonkey4Life,
a veritable combination of Sherlock Holmes and Doc Savage for the 21st
Century. No, really. Would I lie? MID: zaUqh.2972$E35.415@trnddc02

"He unleashes a fecal explosion he time he posts. He uses so many nyms
because he gets beaten so easily and so convincingly in flame wars and
tries to hide behind nyms in the hopes of getting a fresh start. To bad
for him that his lameness keep shining through like a beacon for all
tards (e.g., SameAs$B4, Demon Spawn, Barbara's Pus$y, FredBot,
TGOOS, ......, etc)" -- Monkey-man identifies jitter as me, among
others, in broken English, in MID: Z_Xqh.3167$E35.215@trnddc02

Barbara Woodhouse Memorial Dog Whistle
Trainer of the above k00k
http://www.screedbomb.info/porchie/

"Q: What do you call someone in the White House who is honest, caring,
and well-read?
A: A tourist." -- Anonymous

"It would be offly hard for any of you to abuse me on usenet. Really. I
have the advantage. I could easily turn alt.usenet.kooks into a cesspool
of encoded posts. Bringing the noise ratio up so high as to make the
group worthless. Anybody who can code could do this, why nobody has
bothered before now is beyond me. The ultimate spamming engine..
'BAWAHAHA'" -- Dustbin "Outer Filth" K00k's delusions of grandeur
reached new heights, in Message-ID:

"Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time." -- H.
L. Mencken

"Consider that language a moment. 'Purposefully and materially
supported hostilities against the United States' is in the eye of the
beholder, and this administration has proven itself to be astonishingly
impatient with criticism of any kind. The broad powers given to Bush by
this legislation allow him to capture, indefinitely detain, and refuse a
hearing to any American citizen who speaks out against Iraq or any other
part of the so-called 'War on Terror.'

"If you write a letter to the editor attacking Bush, you could be
deemed as purposefully and materially supporting hostilities against the
United States. If you organize or join a public demonstration against
Iraq, or against the administration, the same designation could befall
you. One dark-comedy aspect of the legislation is that senators or House
members who publicly disagree with Bush, criticize him, or organize
investigations into his dealings could be placed under the same
designation. In effect, Congress just gave Bush the power to lock them
up." -- William Rivers Pitt

"It has become clear in recent months that a critical mass of the American
people have seen through the lies of the Bush administration; with the
president's polls at an historic low, growing resistance to the war Iraq,
and the Democrats likely to take back the Congress in mid-term elections,
the Bush administration is on the ropes. And so it is particularly
worrying that President Bush has seen fit, at this juncture to, in effect,
declare himself dictator." -- Frank Morales
http://www.uruknet.biz/?p=m27769&hd=0&size=1&l=e&fark

"Right you are correct. Someone hooked me. I do believe in building
relationships. That is what Christians are required to do. I am amoral.
I am sure you know what that means. So are Scorpios. I am being
'protected' by the Formosa Rule because of my 'mental illness'. I am not
targeting 'teh Mop Jockey'. You are and you are using me as a bait.
Please stop. I have my own fish to reel in. Leave me alone. It is my hope
that I will be able to catch a fish and reel it in for you. Once my
retired bishop thought I was fishing for him and he took the bait, alas
it wasn't me and that spelled the demise of our relationship. Have a
little bit more faith in me. An Eastern Orthodox bishop thought I was
fishing for him and willingly, proudly and defiantly took the bait on
public record, and it wasn't even me. Give me a break." -- Atlanta
Olympiada "Erica" Kane yammered in
"It does to a certain extant physically and theoretically
it holds even into the quantum but there observational confirmation is
limited or non existent. That's the problem and the major stumbling
block to field unification. For Dr. Einstein held out that a physical
based field theory should be sought out and not left to quantum
uncertainty of how the universe primly base works. Man made coordinate
systems are fine without knowing from where or what is the base essence
of what the space as deduced field is composed of, but not totally
satisfactory. Anomalies keep space cropping up and scientists have to
keep adjusting for these unexpected events. It's like a blind man that
has memorized his physical surroundings to a point he feels very
comfortable until that one new or unexpected event pops up and he's lost
and fumbling." -- nightbat, in one of his more lucid moments.
To Whom It May Concern: Att'y Michael James Cranston stalker kook, Esq.,
is a dog****er and Kook of the Month for March 2007
Old June 16th 08, 01:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

"Wilson" wrote

My cycling career has been clear of injury from a road bike/recumbent
standpoint. The only times I can remember going down were those
embarrassing can't get out of the clips fast enough falls in front of a
crowd.

I've had three recumbent incidents that "left a mark" at least
temporarily. All involved front week traction loss. Two
were entirely self inflicted, one sand, one wet clay related. The
third was wet asphalt and a lil'-ole-lady turning in front
of me. Saw it in plenty of time, braked, front wheel locked,
skidded, and down I went.

Note, eye contact with driver wasn't sufficient. She stopped,
looked straight at me, then slowly made an illegal turn right in
front of me. Not just that she failed to give right of way,
she turned from a lane where turning was not permitted.

And yet still, I assert cycling is not particularly dangerous. %^)

But for a brief time I got into single track mountain bike riding.
[...] All of this was definitely guy stuff.

MTB is mui macho? We named a small gully crossing
Larry Falls, not because of a water feature, but rather
for the spectacular spill Larry took there on his MTB.
No permanent damage, but definitely riskier behavior
than cycling on FM roads.

For a while I lived in a hilly area where there was this
exceptionally steep hill on a county road. [...]
It was a 55 mph downhill and on the GRR I never
uncomfortable doing it. But on an upright I would
be imagining every little thing that could possibly go
wrong to toss me over the handlebars.

Hmmm, sounds like you calculated the risk and made
a choice not just based on the potential worst case
outcome! %^)

About 46 mph is my top gravity-assisted record on my
Tour Easy. Touring, near Taos, NM, there were a number
of opportunities to go faster, but road conditions and my
calculations of risk/reward kept my hands feathering the
brakes.

Jon

Old June 16th 08, 02:41 PM posted to alt.usenet.kooks,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"The God of Odd Statements, Henry Schmidt"
news
n wrote in message
news
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 09:52:11 -0500, Edward Dolan did the cha-cha, and
screamed:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote...

gibberish deleted

You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off,
pillock. You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You
clouted boggish foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker.
You gormless crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole
ponce. You cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry ****head
cockup pratting
naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted
fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

****ing Regards,

So, friends for years, then.

gibberish deleted

I am like you that way. Not born yesterday either.

****ing Regards,