mini mini pump recommendation needed

Old March 24th 10, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Default mini mini pump recommendation needed

Andre Jute writes:

On Mar 23, 11:04Â*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Digs aside, I just find them somewhat repulsive. I hadnt realised the
mini pumps didnt work as claimed by Lou however.

It's always worth listening carefully to Lou; he's got the right bikes
and the right experience, lots of both, and I know from past
experience that when I've arrived at the right X by analysis and
sometimes expensive wastage (buying **** and binning it), we discover
Lou had one all along.

The thing about the few mini-pumps that do actually do something
useful is that we can't even recommend those until we know what you
want your pump to do. Example:

I thought it was pretty self explanatory : pump up a tyre once in a blue
moon. Its to get hidden in a tool bag. I have a decent pump (actually a
not so mini topeak I have had for years that includes a pressure gauge
and inflates my 26x1.25 tyres to about 3.5 bar in about 45 seconds. I
just dont like leaving the pump on the bike for the 1 in 10,000 chance I
need it on a trip.

Old March 24th 10, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On Mar 24, 12:12*am, Simon Lewis wrote:
I thought it was pretty self explanatory : pump up a tyre once in a blue
moon. Its to get hidden in a tool bag.

Best pump I've used, if you use tubes with threaded shafts. It screws
on and doesn't leak at all.
http://www.somafab.com/pump_hp.html
Old March 24th 10, 04:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Ron Ruff
wrote:

On Mar 24, 12:12*am, Simon Lewis wrote:
I thought it was pretty self explanatory : pump up a tyre once in a blue
moon. Its to get hidden in a tool bag.

Best pump I've used, if you use tubes with threaded shafts. It screws
on and doesn't leak at all.
http://www.somafab.com/pump_hp.html

Dear Ron,

Nice-looking little pumps!

But the idea of trying to reach 160 psi with a 5.9" mini pump makes me
cringe.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 24th 10, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 24, 10:19*am, Ron Ruff wrote:
On Mar 24, 12:12*am, Simon Lewis wrote:

I thought it was pretty self explanatory : pump up a tyre once in a blue
moon. Its to get hidden in a tool bag.

Best pump I've used, if you use tubes with threaded shafts. It screws
on and doesn't leak at all.http://www.somafab.com/pump_hp.html

I have a mini pump and used to carry CO2 cartriges that I had
purchased for very little. I'd carry both just in case that Id had a
bad day and ran out of CO2 cartriges. Eventually I ran out of
cartriges and went back to a zephal full frame pump. I created a
little extension with a pump chuck and piece of hose and a presta
stem. I plug the stem into the pump's chuck, the other chuck into the
stem protruding form the wheel. and I pump tires as if it was a floor
pump.
Old March 24th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

On Mar 24, 12:12 am, Simon Lewis wrote:
I thought it was pretty self explanatory : pump up a tyre once in a blue
moon. Its to get hidden in a tool bag.

Best pump I've used, if you use tubes with threaded shafts. It screws
on and doesn't leak at all.
http://www.somafab.com/pump_hp.html

Dear Ron,

Nice-looking little pumps!

But the idea of trying to reach 160 psi with a 5.9" mini pump makes me
cringe.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Good luck with that anyway, the pump's only rated to 120.

I don't think I could pump as shown without tearing off a valve, and I
really don't see the need for a threaded connection.

I've used lots of mini pumps, they're fine, particularly the fat ones,
for wide low pressure tires, but for high pressure tires it just seems
like you need a long skinny pump.

Old March 24th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Bingo!
Skinny for the pressure, long for the volume. Simple physics.
I agree that for fat low pressure tires minipumps can work, it takes
only a long time. That is OK when you are not in a hurry and why should you.
I looked at the OP saddlebag (brrrr...) and only the smallest minipumps
will fit in there and they will be useless for both high pressure tires
and fat tires.

Lou
Old March 24th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Mar 23, 11:17*am, Simon Lewis wrote:
Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

I use a Lezyne Pressure Drive M. Seems fine to pump up to ~80psi used
on tour. Screws securely to the valve, so no rubber squeeze gasket to
tear up, and a flexible hose prevents you from stressing the valve
stem. I like it better than the Topeak Road Morph, FWIW.

http://www.lezyne.com/products/hand-...ure-drive.html

pm
Old March 25th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:18:11 -0400, Peter Cole

wrote:

On Mar 24, 12:12 am, Simon Lewis wrote:
I thought it was pretty self explanatory : pump up a tyre once in a blue
moon. Its to get hidden in a tool bag.
Best pump I've used, if you use tubes with threaded shafts. It screws
on and doesn't leak at all.
http://www.somafab.com/pump_hp.html

Dear Ron,

Nice-looking little pumps!

But the idea of trying to reach 160 psi with a 5.9" mini pump makes me
cringe.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Good luck with that anyway, the pump's only rated to 120.

Dear Peter,

Er . . .

The 5.9" pump that I mentioned is the third one down and its claimed
max psi is 160:

Old March 25th 10, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

OK, I see it now, didn't take the time to read all the fine print --
100, 120 & 160 psi models.
Old March 27th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I went with CO2. The unit stays in the daypack. I bike, walk, shop its
there along with tools, rema type patchs, spare tube, spare lunch, 2
cliff bars, 2 sporks, a small wad of paper towels, leatherman, tear
gas, spare change, chapstick, ...
can't beat it.
When your hot tired hungry besieged by bugs pollution...a new Spec
tube and CO2.
RIGHT BARNEY, FRED ? AM I RIGHT OR WHAT ?
topeak should give a hairshirt with every pump.

Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump johnfoss Unicycling 0 February 3rd 06 12:18 AM
Mini Pump Recommendation Needed [email protected] Off Road 0 June 24th 05 09:40 PM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM