Rain Cape?

Old March 31st 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Rain Cape?

On 3/30/2010 8:11 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
In ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Anyone using a rain cape to commute, and how well does it work in a warm
and humid climate?

Better than a rain jacket IME. But still a bit sweaty especially where
the cape rests on you. I've ridden many miles in one but I wouldn't
want to do so on a really windy day. With a 15-18 mph pace and a light
to moderate breeze there is surprisingly little sail effect.

After not being able to ride for a few months, I will not be doing 15-18
mph on the flat on my DaHon.

Contrary to popular belief, Iowa is not flat, so I will be spending some
time at ~5 mph and some time near 30 mph.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old March 31st 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
LF

On Mar 30, 7:48*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Anyone using a rain cape to commute, and how well does it work in a warm
and humid climate?

I would be riding this bicycle (sans tabby cat) about 9 km each way:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7....

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007

Tom,
I tried a few, most recently the Campmor about 5 years ago. My first
one (unknown brand), I used for over a year -- in the remote past. I
liked it OK on warm days with low wind.

Now, I like a (no longer available) Burley on cold & windy days, and a
Rainshield O2
http://www.rainshield.com/p_cycling.html
for warmer days. Each with various base layers as needed. The O2 is
the most comfortable, but easily rips. I cut a slit running from the
inside of the cuffs and up the arm, about 2 inches, and reinforce
(with clear duct tape). Considering doing the same for pit zips. These
two areas rip the first for me.

I like Rainlegs for rain or wind protection.
http://tinyurl.com/yae9xlg

I like your new bike. I picked up a well used Dahon (single speed)
Boardwalk, and am contemplating how I want to fix it up. It's red --
the fastest color.

Best,
Larry
Old March 31st 10, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Capes are hard to find. A good source has been Campmor, although I
find theirs would benefit from adding a front zipper.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___50258

I know of three other sources, at least.

I have a waxed cotton Carradice I got from Rivendell umpteen years ago;
it's too short and I finally replaced it with a Carradice yellow one. I
ordered direct fro Carradice and got it cheaper with shipping than
buying it from any US source I could find.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php...=other&product
_id=66

The Center for Alternative Transport sells what appears to be a snug
fitting, possibly slightly stretchy cape.

http://www.catoregon.org/?page_id=536

J & G makes a rain cape; I've never seen one in person:

http://www.bicycleclothing.com/Rain-Capes.html
Old March 31st 10, 07:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Mar 30, 4:48*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Anyone using a rain cape to commute, and how well does it work in a warm
and humid climate?

I would be riding this bicycle (sans tabby cat) about 9 km each way:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7....

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007

Between a raincape and a ground-hugging mudflap on the front wheel
I've managed to commute 4 miles in cotton clothes and be dry when I
get there. Cool and humid, not warm -- but the cape definitely
breathes better than a rain jacket, so I expect would be good for
warm.

It does make you dreadfully slow and is a bit "fun" in a crosswind.

-pm
Old March 31st 10, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 30, 9:49*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 3/30/2010 7:26 PM, Max the landotter wrote:

On Mar 30, 6:48 pm, Tom Sherman _
*wrote:
Anyone using a rain cape to commute, and how well does it work in a warm
and humid climate?

I would be riding this bicycle (sans tabby cat) about 9 km each way:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7.....

They're useful if you're going a mile down the way to see the village
baker, but I wouldn't want to commute six miles in one. YMMV. Keep a
couple transit passes in your wallet. Lighter than a cape.

I might as well drive if I am not riding.

Man, it must be nice to live in a simple binary world. On my round
planet we carry a transit pass for that odd time we don't want to ride
home in a thunderstorm or we want to get to work dry and anticipate
better weather later in the day.

Old March 31st 10, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ben Pfaff

landotter writes:

Man, it must be nice to live in a simple binary world. On my round
planet we carry a transit pass for that odd time we don't want to ride
home in a thunderstorm or we want to get to work dry and anticipate
better weather later in the day.

It must be nice to have transit stops close to both ends of your
commute.
--
"Platonically Evil Monkey has been symbolically representing the darkest
fears of humanity since the dawn of literature and religion, and I think
Old March 31st 10, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 31, 11:06*am, Ben Pfaff wrote:
landotter writes:
Man, it must be nice to live in a simple binary world. On my round
planet we carry a transit pass for that odd time we don't want to ride
home in a thunderstorm or we want to get to work dry and anticipate
better weather later in the day.

It must be nice to have transit stops close to both ends of your
commute.

Tom never mentioned whether he did or not--he just threw himself on
the overstuffed fainting couch at the suggestion that mixed mode
transport can be used to avoid temporary weather phenomena.

Old March 31st 10, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 3/31/2010 11:24 AM, Max the landotter wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:06 am, Ben wrote:
writes:
Man, it must be nice to live in a simple binary world. On my round
planet we carry a transit pass for that odd time we don't want to ride
home in a thunderstorm or we want to get to work dry and anticipate
better weather later in the day.

It must be nice to have transit stops close to both ends of your
commute.

Tom never mentioned whether he did or not--he just threw himself on
the overstuffed fainting couch at the suggestion that mixed mode
transport can be used to avoid temporary weather phenomena.

I am in Iowa - enough said.

I would have to ride to where the bus stops and wait in the rain, so I
might as well ride the whole distance.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007

Good silnylon rain cape? [email protected] Techniques 15 November 2nd 07 03:02 AM
Rain cape? Pat[_3_] Rides 1 October 7th 07 10:31 PM
tradtional rain cape wafflycat UK 14 August 16th 06 05:16 PM
Good rain cape and hat? [email protected] Techniques 9 June 21st 06 10:20 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM