Covid off subject

Old May 6th 21, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Covid off subject

On Wed, 5 May 2021 22:53:56 -0000 (UTC), News 2021
wrote:

On Wed, 05 May 2021 15:34:05 -0700, Tom Kunich scribed:

There was a saying about you and Frank - "There are none so blind as
those who will not see".

Clean your mirror silly little tommy.

I did extensive scuba diving and I was NEVER stupid enough to dive
past the limit and damage my lungs from that.
That shoe fits on the other foot -- John did extensive bicycle riding
and was never stupid enough to give himself a concussion. Life takes
its toll.

So now mechanical failure of a component that was manufactured
incorrectly is "stupid" on my part? Tell me what bike you ride?

A Graecross MTB is the brand of the frame. What does that have to do with
the price of fish in Outer Mongolia or your stupid persistence in buying
cheap crap.

BTW, given Johns Industrial background, his scuba diving might have been
for work,

Nope, fun and games :-) I was diving with a bloke I worked with who
was an approved diving instructor and as far as I know did nothing
wrong. But the next morning when I got up and bent over to tie my
shoes something in my chest went "flop"' I went to Sick Call and when
I told the doctor about the "flop" he put me straight into the
hospital - no going home to tell the wife. About an hour later they
had punched a hole in my chest and inserted a hose connected to a
vacuum pump and reinflated my lung.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 6th 21, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Was the pneumothorax caused by diving or just coincidental? Working ambulance, I saw a lot of chest tubes placed to reinflate lungs. Good ER docs could do it in like five minutes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 6th 21, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

They never did determine the actual cause. As I said, I was diving
with a qualified instructor and was knowledgeable about breathing
during assent, etc. And because of the tube in the chest there was
considerable scarring and some adhesion of the lung to the chest
lining which caused some pain even after the tube was out.

As for putting the tube in... I was in the hospital so they did give
me a shot in the chest to deaden pain but basically they stab you in
the chest and then slide in the tube.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 6th 21, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On 2021-05-04, AMuzi wrote:
snip

No longer exist? I had the dead-tree versions of Sunday
Chicago Tribune, Epoch Times and Wall Street Journal at
coffee this morning.

And around here we have the local paper, the Santa Cruz Sentinel and its
larger brother, the San Jose Mercury.

I did receive a sample copy of the Epoch times in the mail once. I toy with
subscribing but it does not seem to have much in the way of science...lots
of politics, though. I still may yet....

The real versions, not electronic.

Oh....bicycle.

pH in Aptos

If you're a scientist, this will not cover your field in any
meaningful way:

https://www.sciencenews.org/

It's a good general survey of recent developments. The
interested reader can pursue further, beyond SN short
articles. I've subscribed for over 40 years.

Note the publisher prints warnings regularly about
subscription agent scams so if you decide you want it, go to
the publisher directly.

As with so much science reporting, there's a decided left
wing political viewpoint which has become more overt in
recent years. If you can't look past that, skip the magazine.

Science News used to be decent, today they even politicize science. There are entire articles where the writer quite obviously has no idea what he is talking about. They will have entire issues devoted to fake science like climate change when real scientists agree that none of their silly ideas are real world.
Old May 6th 21, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Were you using a double tank? A deep dive? Unless you know how to time your dive so that you can ascend at the proper speed, damage to your lungs is inevitable.
Old May 6th 21, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:
[...]

I have known at least two people that got a collapsed lung for no
identifiable reason. Seems to happen more often to tall ones for some
reason.
Old May 7th 21, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

Good Lord! It was 60 years ago. Who remembers?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 7th 21, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Jeff Liebermann writes:

On Wed, 5 May 2021 07:18:32 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

I did extensive scuba diving and I was NEVER stupid enough to dive
past the limit and damage my lungs from that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diver_certification

Verify NAUI Certification
https://www.naui.org/verify-certification/
I plug in Thomas Kunich plus your birthday, and get nothing found. I
was fairly sure of the of the month and year of the birthday, but not
the day. So I went through all 31 possible days. Nothing found.

I was NAUI certified in 1982, but could not find a record of that.
I suspect their online records don't go that far back.

I also tried the PADI search:
https://apps.padi.com/scuba-diving/replacement-card/SearchRecord.aspx?languageID=5
No record found. Note that these certifications do NOT expire.

It's possible that you were certified by some other training
organization such as CMAS or SSI, possess some other type of
certification, or possibly something issued by the military. Maybe I
have the wrong birthday or can't spell your name.

I'll rate this as "very suspicious" unless you want to provide some
means of verifying that your alleged "extensive scuba diving
experience" isn't another lie. Oh wait... you said you weren't going
to answer any more of my questions.

What's the point of this? Don't you have anything else to do?

Incidentally, SCUBA is an acronym and is always capitalized. One does
not dive "past" a limit. One dives "below" the diving depth limit.
For recreational diving, the limit is 130ft. Deeper than 60ft is
considered a "deep" dive. One doesn't damage their lungs by diving
too deep. The regulator equalized the air pressure to that of the
water.

If you dive too deep, what happens is called is nitrogen narcosis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_narcosis
Some of the initial symptoms of nitrogen narcosis are muddled
thinking, faulty reasoning, overconfidence, tunnel vision and
hallucinations.

It's a memorable experience, too. I suspect that if one were just
hanging out topside it would be quite a mellow and innocuous
recreational drug. (I remember a chemistry lecture where it was shown,
in way that made perfect sense at the time but that I can't recall, that
any more or less inert gas would cause the same sort of symptoms when
enough of it dissolved in the blood. N2O works at atmospheric pressure,
N2 at a few atmospheres, He never dissolves enough to matter).

Anyway, so much for the drug, the rest is in the set and setting. The
setting was 42 m down, which doesn't sound that far, but seemed really
deep at the time. There were little purple fishes (reds and greens were
gone), and I remember being just a little sad to think that I would
never see them again. Which leads to the set, which is you're stoned to
the bone, and you could die if you **** up, so be really, really careful
and try not to get distracted.

Around this time one of our resort group, a nice German pediatrician who
had been complaining that no one was being born in Germany any more,
freaked out, sucked down all his air and made the all out air sign. So
the dive master gave him her spare tank, which he sucked right down too,
and somewhere they found another one, which he emptied, and at the end
they were doing the old school pass the regulator buddy breathing thing.

I could imagine someone in a similar situation losing his head and
deciding that an emergency ascent was a good idea. Forget to breathe
out for a moment, and you will get lung damage. Do everything right
and, because this was a decompression dive, you likely get bent.

I talked with the guy afterward, and he was quite apologetic for messing
up our dive. It wasn't until I had left the boat that I realized that
he might not have recognized nitrogen narcosis and thus didn't understand
what happened.

Old May 7th 21, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

I did extensive scuba diving and I was NEVER stupid enough to dive
past the limit and damage my lungs from that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diver_certification

Verify NAUI Certification
https://www.naui.org/verify-certification/
I plug in Thomas Kunich plus your birthday, and get nothing found. I
was fairly sure of the of the month and year of the birthday, but not
the day. So I went through all 31 possible days. Nothing found.

I was NAUI certified in 1982, but could not find a record of that.
I suspect their online records don't go that far back.

The pull down menu on the above verification link goes back to 1922.
NAUI history at:
https://www.naui.org/about/our-heritage/
seems to indicate that instructor certifications started in April
1955. No clue when they started certifying recreational divers. If
the dates are correct, then the oldest dive instructor certified in
1955 would be 32 years old, which seems about right.

Try matching the search to the exact spelling on the card.

I'll rate this as "very suspicious" unless you want to provide some
means of verifying that your alleged "extensive scuba diving
experience" isn't another lie. Oh wait... you said you weren't going
to answer any more of my questions.

What's the point of this? Don't you have anything else to do?

I don't like getting lied to. I assumed that if I pointed out a
sufficiently large number of lies and fabrications, Tom might confess
his sins, take absolution, and clean up his act. That hasn't
happened. Meanwhile, I'm finding the exercise very entertaining. It's
almost as good as a detective mystery or "what's wrong with this
picture" type exercise. For now, I'm having far too much fun taking
pot shots at Tom. However, you're right. I do have better things to
do, and will probably give up eventually. Tom's been acting like this
for at least 15 years and is unlikely to change.

[...]

As you might guess, I'm not a certified diver. I took some classes in
about 1969, floundered around a swimming pool, but gave up when
medical and financial issues became a problem. I also discovered I
had a narrowing of the Eustachian tubes. Clearing my ears was
possible but difficult. Besides diving, it also was a problem when
flying. The doctor wanted to surgically install plastic tympanostomy
tubes into my Eustachian tubes to keep them open. They have to be
replaced every 6 months. After talking to a few people who had the
procedure, I decided it wasn't for me and gave up diving. I kept
flying because of some odd reason, I could clear the tubes with an OTC
nasal decongestant drops and about 10 minutes of simulated swallowing.
These days, they use a catheter to insert a small balloon into the
Eustachian tubes. I haven't investigated the procedure, but offhand,
it seems like a much better way:
http://www.entdoctorslosangeles.com/services-eustachian-tube-dilation.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old May 7th 21, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

snip

If you're a scientist, this will not cover your field in any
meaningful way:

https://www.sciencenews.org/

Thank-you for the tip. This is one I've been looking at pretty often:
https://scitechdaily.com/

I'll check out Science News....

pH