Thames Path on South Bank - cycling allowed?

Old June 20th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Thames Path on South Bank - cycling allowed?

I cycle to work near Tower Bridge from Waterloo Station, and the most
pleasant (although not necessarily quickest) route would obviously be
along the river on the south bank. Does anyone know if cycling is
permitted along here though? The signs are fairly confusing. From
Waterloo I often cycle down past the National Theatre and along the
wide walkway in front of the theatre. I "assume" that cycling is OK
here as there are illuminated "no cycling please dismount" signs at
each end of the narrower section past the Oxo Tower Wharf. If cycling
was banned along the whole stretch then the signs wouldn't be there,
right?

There is then a sign just after the path goes under Blackfriars Bridge
which directs the cycle route (4 I think) off onto Hopton St/Holland
St and "pedestrians" along the river in front of Tate Modern. But
again along the river walkway there are signs asking cyclists to
dismount where the path goes under the arcades near Hay's Galleria in
front of pubs. Does that mean cycling is OK on the rest of it?

So far the only time I got a "shouldn't be riding on here" comment
from a pedestrian was along the stretch near Blackfriars Bridge, at a
point *before* the cycle route is diverted off onto the road. I've
happily cycled past uniformed police officers along that part and they
haven't complained, but it would be good to know where I stand. Is
there a definitve map of London cycle routes anywhere on the internet?

Old June 20th 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 20 Jun, 12:55, wrote:
I cycle to work near Tower Bridge from Waterloo Station, and the most
pleasant (although not necessarily quickest) route would obviously be
along the river on the south bank. Does anyone know if cycling is
permitted along here though?
Is there a definitve map of London cycle routes anywhere on the internet?

Not that I can find in any detail. However, I have the free London
Cycle Guide map in front of me and none of that stretch is marked as a
cycle route, it all goes on the roads near the river but not the paths
next to it.
The more detailed Central section map shows a "pedestrian link" under
Blackfriars Bridge, which I believe means they recommend you walk your
bike there rather than riding on the nearby road.
None of which proves whether you can or can't cycle along there.

Old June 20th 07, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns

wrote:

haven't complained, but it would be good to know where I stand. Is
there a definitve map of London cycle routes anywhere on the internet?

No definitive map, but as POHB says the LCC free maps are your best guide.
As POHB says, the only thing thaI cycle to work near Tower Bridge from
Waterloo Station, and the most

My honest response here is that you should cycle along these areas
showing courtesy and consideration to any pedestrians, and keeping the
speed well down. Obey the "No cycling" signs at the Oxo Tower.
I have cycled along the South Bank a few times on leisure type rides,
without any problems, but keeping the speed down.

The official blue route on the map, going West from London Bridge:

Tooley Street, branch right to go under London Bridge and past Southwark
Cathedral. Left then right Winchester Walk. Right Stoney Steet, past
Vinopolis, left then right into Park Street.
Under Southwark Bridge, and continue round the back of the Tate.
Right Holland street, left Hopton Street.
Go onto the pavement under Blackfirars Bridge.
Cross at the pedestrian lights, then follow the 'bull pen' in the middle
pf the road. Cross the lights and go along Upper Ground till you get to
the old County Hall where you can go right through the middle till you
get to Westminster bridge.

Old June 20th 07, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

wrote on 20/06/2007 12:55 +0100:
[...]

You can cycle along there although there is one place where you are
asked to dismount and further east you get diverted onto cobbled
streets. Its a pleasant ride although you need to go slow with all the
pedestrians around especially in one or two spots. The road is much
quicker.

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old June 20th 07, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:55:20 -0000, wrote:

[...]

I hope so. I'm leading a ride along that way next Tuesday.