Bicycle Stopping Distances

Old November 4th 09, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Bicycle Stopping Distances

On Nov 4, 7:29*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

In a maximum braking effort, you transfer your weight as far back and as low as
possible. *You bury your head into your stem...you even your pedals so no leg is
higher than it has to be....you push your entire center of mass down into your
top tube.

"No leg"? Shouldn't that be neither leg? I always have one leg
higher than the others when I'm riding.

I have a question, Sparky - how long would you estimate it would take
a skilled cyclist to do the transfer weight/bury head/calibrate legs/
push mass down thing? This isn't a picture flip book - there's time
involved. Give me your best wild-assed guesstimate and let's see how
that affects stopping distance at 30 MPH.

And, if you would be so kind, please tell me who would lower their
head to the level of the trunk of a stopped car as they were about to
slam into the back of it at 30 MPH. Seems to me a sane person
wouldn't believe the helmet conferred invulnerability and would try to
protect their head.

Old November 4th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Joe

"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

Well geez Ricod, if you're gonna apply logic and stuff, all bets are
off..... lol

Old November 4th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Nov 4, 10:39*am, "Joe" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want to be too hard on Magritte, but I suspect that he did
sustain a head injury, probably due to riding too close to some girl's
ass he was trying to sniff (close as he ever got to a pussy), which
would explain his hating on Liz Hatch. It's clear he was wearing a
helmet on that little bus for most of his formative years.

Old November 4th 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:42*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

Also, I would never do a maximum braking effort because you would run the risk
of going over the bars or locking your front/rear wheel up and sliding out. *I
would only do a max effort braking if I had to do it to avoid being seriously
injured - i.e. hitting a guardrail or cross-traffic.

I am truly impressed with the articulation you are able to derive with
your nether fundamental orifice, but you're still talking out yer
ass. You argue that maximum braking would stop a cyclist faster than
a car (ignoring reaction time entirely, which makes your contention
totally without merit), then argue that maximum braking is dangerous
and just as likely to launch the cyclist.

Well done! Remember to wipe next time.

Ummm, yes, we would "ignore reaction time entirely" since to not assume that would
be idiotic. And two, I love how you and everyone else talks about a bike not being
able to stop faster than a "car," but not once...NOT ****ING ONCE....do you queers
even explain that stopping distances vary widely between all makes and models of
cars and that for some bizarre reason, this FACT does not seem to bother you since
you continue to refer to a generic "car" in your supposed "scientific" analysis
with a just-as-generic "bike."

You people don't even know what the **** you are debating because you never
established what model/make car or bike you are comparing, yet this does not stop
you from arguing vehemently that "a bike" can't stop faster than "a car."

The word "bike" not only means a $6,000 race bike but also means a $275 Walmart
Redneck Racer. You can't just use the word "bike" when talking about performance
anymore than a car.

But since you all have been jerking yourselves off using these non-descript terms,
and I'm the only one who seems to notice these little poignant details, it means
you're all full of ****.

Many of you have fatal monkey bites from me by now and soon the Ebola will set
in...

Magilla

Old November 4th 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Nov 4, 8:10*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 4, 7:42*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

Also, I would never do a maximum braking effort because you would run the risk
of going over the bars or locking your front/rear wheel up and sliding out. *I
would only do a max effort braking if I had to do it to avoid being seriously
injured - i.e. hitting a guardrail or cross-traffic.

I am truly impressed with the articulation you are able to derive with
your nether fundamental orifice, but you're still talking out yer
ass. *You argue that maximum braking would stop a cyclist faster than
a car (ignoring reaction time entirely, which makes your contention
totally without merit), then argue that maximum braking is dangerous
and just as likely to launch the cyclist.

Don't forget that with a modern car with ABS, any dimwit can execute
maximal braking with minimal skill, any time they choose. Not quite
the same situation for a cyclist, is it?

There's theory, there's experiment, and then there's practice. I
submit that while in theory bicycle could stop in a distance close to
that of a car (and from my take on the theory, certainly not in
significantly less distance), that it's a difficult and dangerous
experiment from any significant speed to attempt, and that in real-
world practice, accounting for reaction time, body positioning, hand
position, road conditions, etc., that bikes take a hell of a lot
longer to stop than you'd expect.

Brad Anders
Old November 4th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 4, 7:29*am, MagillaGorilla wrote:

In a maximum braking effort, you transfer your weight as far back and as low as
possible. *You bury your head into your stem...you even your pedals so no leg is
higher than it has to be....you push your entire center of mass down into your
top tube.

"No leg"? Shouldn't that be neither leg? I always have one leg
higher than the others when I'm riding.

Sausalito cafe, Friday, 3 p.m. Be there, English Teacher.

I have a question, Sparky - how long would you estimate it would take
a skilled cyclist to do the transfer weight/bury head/calibrate legs/
push mass down thing? This isn't a picture flip book - there's time
involved. Give me your best wild-assed guesstimate and let's see how
that affects stopping distance at 30 MPH.

Less than 1 second. Never timed it though.

And, if you would be so kind, please tell me who would lower their
head to the level of the trunk of a stopped car as they were about to
slam into the back of it at 30 MPH.

A person who doesn't want to hit it?

Seems to me a sane person
wouldn't believe the helmet conferred invulnerability and would try to
protect their head.

Despite it seemingly being the most non-intuitive thing to do, putting your head down
will protect it the most because it will lower your CoG and allow you to grab more
front brake. If, at the last moment, you felt your head was going to impact an
immovable object at that same level, you would definitely want to move it
instinctively and protect your head with your hands/arms and make initial contact
with your shoulder almost like a football player does a block tackle in order to
dissipate most of the impact energy over your shoulder and scapular area.

If the object you were going to hit at a considerable speed (say, over 15 mph after
max braking) were a concrete bridge abutment, you would be best off inducing an
intentional low side crash after bleeding off most of your energy (speed). I've seen
that done at 55 mph. A body being dragged on grass or dirt has a very high
coefficient of friction.

#1 rule is bleed off most of your energy as fast as you can. And keeping your weight
as low as possible will allow you to grab more front brake and grab it harder. Your
front brake does around 70% of the stopping at high speed.

Magilla

Old November 4th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Nov 4, 2:59*pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
[...]

At least you're back to your dodge and weave bull**** comfort zone.

Single case in question, single car, two experienced guys on bikes,
psychotic behind the wheel of the car, one road the psychotic thinks
he owns, one accident, two injuries, one guy going to jail.

You can plug in the numbers...excuse me, could...excuse me, should -
ah, who the **** am I kidding? Ben cleaned your cage for you on the
physics, Michael bitched slap you with vehicle code, and numerous
people pelted you with rotten fruit on your atrocious logic.

On a good day you'd be the slow monkey, on the outside, looking
in...just like here. Anyway, you grow tiresome as you have nothing to
add. Sorry Zippy. Better luck next thread!

Old November 4th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla[_2_]

RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 4, 10:39*am, "Joe" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
[...]

You really think I secretly yearn for the Lizard and am just jealous or
something? Dude, I cannot tell you how simply not true that is. I am not
attracted to her at all. I don't think she's a bad looking girl at all, but I
am totally not into her in any way. I wouldn't even say she is in the top 20 of
the most attractive women cyclists in U.S. chicaton.

The only reason I rag on her is because she refers to herself as a "professional
cyclist" and she really pushes the "I'm hot" angle to the point where it's in my
face when I'm just trying to innocently brush up on the new curves in the
women's peloton.

I think Hatch would be better off filling out the application at Hooter's and
stopping this "professional cyclist" nonsense. I mean you don't see Paris
Hilton going around trying to convince the world she had a part in engineering
the new Boeing Dreamliner, do you?

Magilla

Old November 4th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Nov 3, 6:48*am, Susan Walker wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
and the value is 9.806 65 m /s^2 exactly.

Depends.

Sorry Susan but even if an old person craps in their Depends it still
falls at9.806 65 m /s^2 exactly
Old November 4th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Michael Press wrote:

and the value is 9.806 65 m/s^2 exactly.

Depends.

Sorry Susan but even if an old person craps in their Depends it still
falls at 9.806 65 m/s^2 exactly

I have little energy before my afternoon Oreos and milk, so maybe you
can help me. Somebody posted a link to an article on how gravity is
not uniform everywhere on Earth. Would you mind explaining to a low
blood sugar individual how gravity can be a constant if the
gravitational force varies from place to place? Thanks.

PS I had to correct three typos in the three sentences/clauses that I
quoted. I am not the fookin' RBR proofreader! Correct the typos
before they hit my screen. I found it particularly interesting that
Antoine Ono (loved you in Deep Space Nine BTW) had to copy and paste
Michael's numbers - exactly, including the odd spacing and typos.
This **** _counts_ people! You will be graded before the Lord (me)
and found wanting! You do NOT want to be found wanting - believe me.

PPS I also get a little irritable when the blood sugar is down.

PPPS **** you if you have a problem with that.