mini mini pump recommendation needed

Old March 23rd 10, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Default mini mini pump recommendation needed

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

Old March 23rd 10, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:17:00 +0100, Simon Lewis
wrote:

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

Dear Simon,

Nickel-palted tool bag hand pump, 20 cents, 4 ounces:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...auty+pg+29.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 23rd 10, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 23-3-2010 19:17, Simon Lewis schreef:

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

You are on the point to become one of the many people who make the
mistake to match the pump with the room in their saddlebag. They are
useless.
Get a decent pump or a CO2 inflator.

Lou
Old March 23rd 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Mar 23, 2:17*pm, Simon Lewis wrote:
Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

I like my Topeak Road Morph, but I haven't used any other carry-along
pump save for a Zefal (two different ones, actually)

nate
Old March 23rd 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Lou Holtman writes:

Op 23-3-2010 19:17, Simon Lewis schreef:

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

You are on the point to become one of the many people who make the
mistake to match the pump with the room in their saddlebag. They are
useless.
Get a decent pump or a CO2 inflator.

Lou

I have a decent pump. But it needs to be strapped to the frame.

Since I get one puncture every 8 years or so, a tiny pump in the tool
bag would be a much better solution.

I refuse to use CO2 for the wastage of cylinders and the lazy fat arse
mentality. I cycle tour and am not interested in 3 second inflation.

I ask for recommendation for a mini pump. Not lectures on why YOU think
they are inappropriate but thanks anyway.

Old March 23rd 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

wrote:

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

Dear Simon,

Nickel-palted tool bag hand pump, 20 cents, 4 ounces:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...auty+pg+29.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Would look perfect in the Brooks .....

I wonder if they sell stick on waxed moustaches too?
Old March 23rd 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Simon Lewis wrote:
Lou Holtman writes:

Op 23-3-2010 19:17, Simon Lewis schreef:
Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

You are on the point to become one of the many people who make the
mistake to match the pump with the room in their saddlebag. They are
useless.
Get a decent pump or a CO2 inflator.

Lou

I have a decent pump. But it needs to be strapped to the frame.

Since I get one puncture every 8 years or so, a tiny pump in the tool
bag would be a much better solution.

I refuse to use CO2 for the wastage of cylinders and the lazy fat arse
mentality. I cycle tour and am not interested in 3 second inflation.

I ask for recommendation for a mini pump. Not lectures on why YOU think
they are inappropriate but thanks anyway.

At one puncture every 8 years, you might seriously
reconsider a CO2 unit. Perfect size to your request and
negligible 'waste'. That's, what, about half a dozen
cartridges over your remaining years?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 23rd 10, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 23-3-2010 21:53, Simon Lewis schreef:
Lou writes:

Op 23-3-2010 19:17, Simon Lewis schreef:

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

You are on the point to become one of the many people who make the
mistake to match the pump with the room in their saddlebag. They are
useless.
Get a decent pump or a CO2 inflator.

Lou

I have a decent pump. But it needs to be strapped to the frame.

So?

Since I get one puncture every 8 years or so, a tiny pump in the tool
bag would be a much better solution.

No it isn't. They do not work, it just physics.

I refuse to use CO2 for the wastage of cylinders and the lazy fat arse
mentality. I cycle tour and am not interested in 3 second inflation.

One cylinder in 8 years? The are metal and perfectly recycleable you
know. It is not the short time to inflate, it's the fact that they are
small AND get the job done.

I ask for recommendation for a mini pump. Not lectures on why YOU think
they are inappropriate but thanks anyway.

OK I'm off then, but it was not a lecture but good advice. For better
advice you should give the dimensions of you saddlebag ;-)
This is a nice one....well to look at for sure.

http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p12524_Micro-Rocket-Carbon.html

Lou

Old March 23rd 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Now I have my Brooks D-shape toolbag, I need a pump to fit into it. Any
recommendations?

Dear Simon,

Nickel-palted tool bag hand pump, 20 cents, 4 ounces:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S...auty+pg+29.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Would look perfect in the Brooks .....

I wonder if they sell stick on waxed moustaches too?

Dear Simon,

More seriously . . .

You may get better suggestions if you post how long a pump your bag
will accept.

Crank Brothers 5.75" mini pump:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...7_20000_400032

Nashbar 6.5" Stage 2 mini pump:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...2_10000_200408

Blackburn Shorty 8.5" mini pump:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400032

They all take forever to pump up a tire, and their claimed maximum
pressures are more theoretical than practical:

"This pump [crank brothers above] can be used to inflate a punctured
tube to find the leak, or preflate it for insertion into the tire, and
to get your pressure up to maybe 50 psi. But I ride 100 psi tires and
need a CO2 cartridge to get there. At around 50 psi you're getting
less than an inch of compression stroke -- so it's very tedious."

Another user:

"There have been a few times when I've been about to start a ride and
realized I hadn't checked pressure before leaving the house and my
floor pump, so I've whipped out the Crank Brothers mini pump to get me
up to pressure. Not a good strategy. It does okay pumping up to 60psi
on a Presta valve, but anything over that and you lose some air while
pumping. Add to that the fact that it becomes far too hard to pump it
to as little as 80psi and it becomes clear that the Crank Brothers
pump is better left at home. If you don't need to pump past 60-70psi,
go for it. It works great in that range. If you want to go to 100psi,
look elsewhere."

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._10000__200408

If you move up to a Topeak Road or Mountain morph (hose, t-handle,
floor-stand action) that attaches to the frame or fits inside a large
triangular frame bag, then the reviews become positive:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...8_10000_200408

As Andrew points out, a cheap CO2 inflator and a pair of cartridges
would fit more easily in your bag, would pump your rare flat up much
better, and would involve about the same cost, materials, and other
considerations.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 23rd 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Lou writes:

[...]

Dear Lou,

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the ~6.5" Topeak mini pump.

Some conflicting reviews of that Topeak mini pump:
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-424920.html

"All those mini pumps have a tendency to rip out the valve stem if
you're not super careful."

"I've used it to inflate tires a few times, had it a couple of years,
never a problem. Takes a while, works fine, perfect for the one time a
year I need it, and pumping for a couple of extra minutes beats
walking home 20 miles in my road bike shoes or calling a cab. Highly
recommended."

"I've never used it on the side of the road, but I tested it when
replacing a tube a couple of days ago. it works well enough that you
could limp home anyway . . ."

"I've had to use it too and have gotten my tire up to 100 psi no
problem (ok, it's a little tiring, but more than doable)."

"Used it twice on the side of the road and it works, not great but it
works. After using it twice in same day I decided to invest in co2
though still keep it for a back up."

"Just had to use mine yet again tonight. It takes awhile to pump up,
but it's fine for getting back home."

"It works but after you fill up like 80psi, your arm and hands will be
shaking. I had to have a 6 or 7 times brake to fill up 80. and
inside rubber is ripped out."

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump johnfoss Unicycling 0 February 3rd 06 12:18 AM
Mini Pump Recommendation Needed [email protected] Off Road 0 June 24th 05 09:40 PM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM