Why are they allowed to block Cycle Route 1 and the Thames Path?

Old January 12th 12, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

Default Why are they allowed to block Cycle Route 1 and the Thames Path?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 07:33:22 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Jan 12, 7:48*am, Doug wrote:
The provision for cyclists is
pathetic, as usual, and especially for disabled cyclists. It is
naturally and wrongly assumed that cyclists must always be good at
walking.

I am good at walking - last month I walked 28 miles in two days.

Clare and I are planning to walk the whole of the South Downs' Way
over a series of weekends before the end of the summer.
Old January 12th 12, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Jan 10, 3:42*pm, (Roger Merriman) wrote:

I've not used it, on a bike myself but on foot, But yes why on earth
would i want to wait with the cars on the deck? and why would the ferry
want me to? bikes not being as big or as heavy.

rather pleasent way to cross the river really.

Yes, I used to love sailing on the old Hull - New Holland ferry in the
1970's before the Humber Bridge was built.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 12th 12, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 12/01/2012 07:48, Doug wrote:
On Jan 10, 6:21 pm, Tony wrote:
On 10/01/2012 07:16, Doug wrote:

On Jan 8, 1:31 pm, wrote:
On 08/01/2012 06:52, Doug wrote:

On Jan 7, 10:04 pm, wrote:
On 07/01/2012 21:19, Phil W Lee wrote:
Bertie :
Phil W wrote:
Is it not past time that the case was taken to the magistrates court
as the public highway is clearly "out of repair"?
(Crown court is only necessary if they dispute their liability to
maintain it, which would be difficult if they are already conducting
works on it!)
The magistrates, when finding that it is indeed out of repair, must
then make an order forcing the council to put it back into repair in a
reasonable time.
Highways Act 1980 s56
A guide can be found he
http://www.iprow.co.uk/gpg/index.php/Section_56_Process
Bridges and tunnels do form part of the highway.
s328(2). Meaning of 'highway'
(2) Where a highway passes over a bridge or through a tunnel, that
bridge or tunnel is to be taken for the purposes of this Act to be a
part of the highway.
And it seems that although they have the poser to do the works under
s66(3), s66(8) requires them to pay damages to anyone who sustains
damage due to the works carried out under that section.
It may also be worth pointing out that the authority has clearly
failed in it's duty under s175A, in that it has failed to have regard
to the needs of disabled and blind in executing works.
All good points, except possibly the last. One of the reasons for the
extensive works is to install a 24 hour lift service. The orignal
lifts were only operated 7am to 7pm and needed an operator.
I'm mainly referring to the complete absence of any alternative
provision.
So far from there being a "complete absence of any alternative provision",
there is in fact plenty of alternative provision. Whether it is fully
acceptable and available at the price the user prefers to pay is another
question (and not much to do with the topic).

Remember that last bit when you read below.

For instance, a cyclist who had wished to walk/carry his bike through the
Greenwich *Foot* Tunnel can divert via Tower Bridge (on the bike). Or he can
divert to Dartford and use the Thames Crossing there. He and his machine will
apparently be carried in a motor vehicle across the bridge or through the
tunnel at no charge to himself, ie, at the expense of toll-paying users of
the Crossing.
Or he can use the Rotherhithe or Blackwall Tunnels on the same basis, except
that he will have to contract and *pay* for carriage in a motor-vehicle (just
like other users of those tunnels).
Alternatively, and bearing in mind that many users might not be prepared to
pay for safe carriage, they could - as long as it is between certain hours of
the day - use the Woolwich Ferry, free of charge.
So let's recap on the alternative provsions:
(a) Tower Bridge, as a cyclist, FOC.
Much longer distance.

And?

(b) Dartford Crossing, as a passenger and goods, FOC.
Much longer distance.

And?

(c) Rotherhithe Tunnel, as a passenger and goods, full economic cost (like
anyone else using that route).
Its possible to cycling in this tunnel amid all the traffic fumes

Yes, I realised that after I'd pressed the send button, but thanks for the
reminder.

but its best done on the pavement to avoid annoying hooting drivers
with your slowness as there is no overtaking allowed.

Is walking through that tunnel permitted? I genuinely don't know.

Yes its permitted.

(d) Blackwall Tunnel(s), as a passenger and goods, full economic cost (like
anyone else using that route).
Hardly feasible.

It's as feasible as it is for anyone else needing to carry a cargo through
the tunnel. A disabled-access taxi might be big enough. Plenty of people ride
through the tunnels in taxis. It's hardly a plutocratic solution.

The point I wish to emphasise is that cyclists, unlike motorists, are
made to dismount, thus becoming a pedestrian, and are made to adopt
alternative means of transport.

(e) Woolwich Ferry, as a passenger and goods, FOC.
You don't seem to know much about this. It is perfectly possible to
use the Woolwich Ferry if you don't mind dismounting and being treated
as a second class road user.

Drivers are treated in the same way, to a nicety. It's a BOAT.

No drivers are not made to dismount and cyclists are herded into a
confined space after dismounting.

The last time I used the ferry my car was herded into a confined space.

But you didn't have to dismount and seek aid to cross at the Blackwall
Tunnel and Dartford Crossing. After Tower Bridge the only crossing
where cyclists don't have to dismount is Rotherhithe and maybe
Woolwich Ferry if they are lucky. The provision for cyclists is
pathetic, as usual, and especially for disabled cyclists. It is
naturally and wrongly assumed that cyclists must always be good at
walking.

-- .
All public road users are equal but some are more equal than others.

All of which has nothing to do with my reply about your claim to be
treated as a second class citizen on the Woolwich Ferry.
Old January 12th 12, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:48*am, Doug wrote:
The provision for cyclists is
pathetic, as usual, and especially for disabled cyclists. It is
naturally and wrongly assumed that cyclists must always be good at
walking.

I am good at walking - last month I walked 28 miles in two days.

Clare and I are planning to walk the whole of the South Downs' Way
over a series of weekends before the end of the summer.

Sounds great - I would love to do the Wolds Way which links together
many of our training hills.

http://www.bestwalks.com/images/Yorkshire/map0a.gif

--
Simon Mason
Old January 12th 12, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

On Jan 12, 7:48 am, wrote:
The provision for cyclists is
pathetic, as usual, and especially for disabled cyclists. It is
naturally and wrongly assumed that cyclists must always be good at
walking.

I am good at walking - last month I walked 28 miles in two days.

Clare and I are planning to walk the whole of the South Downs' Way
over a series of weekends before the end of the summer.

Life in the fast lane.....

University
Old January 12th 12, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:48*am, Doug wrote:
The provision for cyclists is
pathetic, as usual, and especially for disabled cyclists. It is
naturally and wrongly assumed that cyclists must always be good at
walking.

I am good at walking - last month I walked 28 miles in two days.

Clare and I are planning to walk the whole of the South Downs' Way
over a series of weekends before the end of the summer.

Are you not going abroad this year at all?

--
Simon Mason
Old January 12th 12, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jan 12, 10:10*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
..

Are you not going abroad this year at all?

We're close to skint, having spent something in the region of £130,000
on our house refurbishment.

Sheesh and I am balking at a £2000 bathroom.

I'm reluctant to draw any more of our
savings, as we have that earmarked for a holiday cottage maybe in 2013
(we've been salivating over cottages near Skipton).

An excellent choice in god's own country.

However, we should
be able to find the money to take the tandem from Portsmouth to
Santander and touring northern Spain for a week or two.

Sounds good.

Our main
holiday this year was over Christmas to our penthouse apartment on the
South China Sea.

Yes, I remember.

However, if we manage to sell the smaller apartment in Sanya, we will
be flush with cash again. My sister-in-law's brother is spending
Chinese New Year in Sanya with the single purpose of trying to flog
the flat for us at the highest possible price. Some 80% of residential
property sales occur in China during the run up and over the Spring
Festival.-

Fingers crossed.

--
Simon Mason
Old January 12th 12, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:48*am, Doug wrote:
The provision for cyclists is
pathetic, as usual, and especially for disabled cyclists. It is
naturally and wrongly assumed that cyclists must always be good at
walking.

I am good at walking - last month I walked 28 miles in two days.

Clare and I are planning to walk the whole of the South Downs' Way
over a series of weekends before the end of the summer.

Are you not going abroad this year at all?

We're close to skint, having spent something in the region of £130,000
on our house refurbishment. I'm reluctant to draw any more of our
savings, as we have that earmarked for a holiday cottage maybe in 2013
(we've been salivating over cottages near Skipton). However, we should
be able to find the money to take the tandem from Portsmouth to
Santander and touring northern Spain for a week or two. Our main

Old January 13th 12, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

.

Are you not going abroad this year at all?

We're close to skint, having spent something in the region of £130,000
on our house refurbishment.

Sheesh and I am balking at a £2000 bathroom.

Our bathroom tiles came to £700; taps £390 shower, £190 sink, £416
bath; £477 washstand; £392 cabinet; £176 mirror; £105 pan, £64
cistern; £450 wet room shower screen. To save costs, we kept the
original claw foot 1930s bath and had it re-enameled for £550.

And, of course, we didn't want any old handyman fitting all this
lovely stuff. We paid for professionals.

I reckon the value of our bathroom is about that of a family car.

[...]

Sometimes I wonder how people manage with jobs like unblocking toilets
and clearing grime from gutters, but I am very grateful such people
exist: they serve me well so I can enjoy my leisure pursuits.
Old January 13th 12, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

On Jan 12, 10:10*pm, Bertie Wooster wrote:
.

Are you not going abroad this year at all?

We're close to skint, having spent something in the region of £130,000
on our house refurbishment.

Sheesh and I am balking at a £2000 bathroom.

Our bathroom tiles came to £700; taps £390 shower, £190 sink, £416
bath; £477 washstand; £392 cabinet; £176 mirror; £105 pan, £64
cistern; £450 wet room shower screen. To save costs, we kept the
original claw foot 1930s bath and had it re-enameled for £550.

It does not sound to painful then.
Our floorboards are rotted though, so we will need a joiner as well as
a plumber.

--
Simon Mason

Bristol-Bath cycle path could become a bus route. Martin Dann UK 40 January 25th 08 04:56 PM
Thames Path on South Bank - cycling allowed? [email protected] UK 5 June 21st 07 04:34 PM
Thames Cycle Path Closed Tom Crispin UK 37 May 23rd 07 09:48 PM
cycle path/route along A9 ? redmist UK 5 May 9th 06 12:13 PM
HELP- With N Wales Cycle Path Route Please Rick UK 5 January 22nd 06 10:13 PM